Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test tomorrow - engine coolant level low

Options
  • 09-11-2008 7:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

If my engine coolant level is below the the "low" mark, will this result in a refusal by the tester to conduct the test? No warning light has come on because of it but I just noticed it this evening? Test is on at 9:20 tomorrow morning so I may not be able to pick up some before hand.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

You can top it up with some water and it'll be fine.

Be sure it's the coolant resevoir though and not the brake fluid or other container you are looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So long as there are no engine warning lights the test should go ahead as normal. However, it might be worth your while topping it up with water and some anti freeze.

EDIT: Beat me to it Steve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinJob

SteveC wrote: »
    You can top it up with some water and it'll be fine.

Be sure it's the coolant resevoir though and not the brake fluid or other container you are looking at.

I checked the manual, its the coolant alright. Although the manual said not to use water on its own. The coolant is pink (Toyota Rav4 2 diesel). Would I definitely be ok with just water?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

hehe - sorry for stealing your thunder Alan...:D

You're right though, technically you should add antifreeze as well but if it's only a top-up it'll be fine with plain water. No point in buying a bottle of it it that'll never get used...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 SkinJob

SteveC wrote: »
    hehe - sorry for stealing your thunder Alan...:D

You're right though, technically you should add antifreeze as well but if it's only a top-up it'll be fine with plain water. No point in buying a bottle of it it that'll never get used...

Good stuff, thanks for that. I won't put to much in anyway, just to enough to stave off the risk of a potential system warning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement