Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Russian Akula Accident

• 09-11-2008 7:15pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭

An Akula had an accidental gas discharge during sea trials. Reports state 20 deaths. The gas was Freon which is used in the firefighting systems to extinguish oxygen is odurless and colourless.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jfn6BiK-75B0F4qtfZgNe12N18jw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chuck U Farley

A tragic and devastating accident for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Wow, I remember setting off the extinguishers on a Combat Engineer Tractor years ago while servicing the tank. I was in the engine deck at the time and kicked the cables which set them off. I nearly poo'ed my pants when the gas discharged and was oblivious to the danger of the system. Tanks use the same Freon gas so I guess I was lucky I could stick my head out and get a mouth full of air.

Submariners deserve every cent of their pay as the dangers of the deep are multiple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Chuck U Farley

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

That was quick.
    As the articale states.....................suspiciously so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

In fixed fire fighting systems Freon does allow some time for escape. CO2 does not.

I think the reason is CO2 being heavy works by displacing the oxygen in an enclosed space (i.e ships engine room) whereas freon retards the flames by interfering chemicaly with the combustion.

Merchant ships that had the fixed Freon system had to be retro-fitted with CO2 due to environmental concerns a few years back - which I think sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I used to work for the Irish Lighthouse service in the 80ies, Halon was used for the automatic fire extinguishers in the engine room on the Lightships and Lanby buoys at the time. Once a system discharged itself accidentally while I was in there it was a frightening experience luckily i was able to escape up a ladder and get away in time.

The service brought in new rules that all hatches had to be opened with no obstructions on the ladders. I could see how this tragedy happened in Russia and on a submarine there is no chances of escape or opening hatches.

Advertisement