Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

hick wrote: »
    I found a guy in brittas, on the way to blessington who's doing 40kg bags for €12.50 that's at least a fiver cheaper than anywhere else i found in dublin. Can't miss him big sign on the left hand side of the road on the way to dublin. headin out in the am to get another 4 bags and some briquettes too, if I do I'll throw the name up when I get back

Any idea if he delivers at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

righto, it's more in blessington than brittas, and it's also called the blessington patio center, they can do deliveries depending on qty's and where you are

http://www.mygeoposition.com/loc/53.184462,-6.523690/?zoomLevel=15&mapType=

When I asked for the €12.50 bags he he still had them but they'd gone up in price, and he kind of gave me a look that said brace yourself, then he said they have gone up to €12.75 and apolgized but said his supplier price had gone up. So all in all I got 3 x 40Kg bags and 3 bales of briquettes for €48.00

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

what ever happened to the hundread weigh of coal rip off ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

hick wrote: »
    righto, it's more in blessington than brittas, and it's also called the blessington patio center, they can do deliveries depending on qty's and where you are

http://www.mygeoposition.com/loc/53.184462,-6.523690/?zoomLevel=15&mapType=

When I asked for the €12.50 bags he he still had them but they'd gone up in price, and he kind of gave me a look that said brace yourself, then he said they have gone up to €12.75 and apolgized but said his supplier price had gone up. So all in all I got 3 x 40Kg bags and 3 bales of briquettes for €48.00

Also buy from the guy at Blessington Patio center they are a great help, they also do anthracite for €12.50 a 40kg bag and BriqBits (broken peat briquettes) which are great for starting a fire for €11 for 40kg. Both work a charm in my Stanley stove. Didn't see it mentioned in any of the other posts but he mentioned prices were due to go up on the 6th due to the budget so anyone wanting to stock up should do so in the couple of days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Beattys of Loughrea Galway are doing 5 X 40KGs Polish Coal for €70 or 40 Bales of Briquettes for €140 Free delivery within 15 Miles.
    Anywhere else in Galway can beat that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 dinos

Carbon tax which is due in tuesdays budget is likely to put €2 on a bag of coal & 50c on briquettes.

In advance of this i'm getting a tonne (25x40kg bags) from the wexford fuel depot for €330, free delivery... thats for the normal coal. You can get other cheaper ones ( they have them too) but they are high flame but not as much heat from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pipasawrus

Wicklow corn com is now called Stafford fuels direct - they are charging 183.00 for 10 x 40kg bags (Anthracite red) including delivery to Bray

Dunne & Son 18.00 per 40kg bag (Grade A anthracite) will delivery - the more bags you buy it does get cheaper

Blessington Patio - very nice and helpful man - (standard anthracite) 12.75 or (Red) at 15.75 min of 5 bags for delivery but charges 25 euro.

Kinsella Coal Merchants (Greystones) 19.75!!!!

The reason I am thinking about using anthracite is because its a 'bit' more co2 friendly and as far as I can see it holds the heat, lasts longer and not so messy. Unless anybody knows otherwise :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tysonc80

claytonie wrote: »
    Also buy from the guy at Blessington Patio center they are a great help, they also do anthracite for €12.50 a 40kg bag and BriqBits (broken peat briquettes) which are great for starting a fire for €11 for 40kg. Both work a charm in my Stanley stove. Didn't see it mentioned in any of the other posts but he mentioned prices were due to go up on the 6th due to the budget so anyone wanting to stock up should do so in the couple of days :D

Prices sound really good from Blessington Patio center is the coal very good? and was it the smokless coal you got?thanks

the €12.50 coal is not smokeless, it's very good and burns for a long time
    they also have smokeless fuel at about €15 or €16
    for 40kgs both counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

anyone know the best place to get coal round the charleville area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭CompanyBureau

Eddies in Donaghmede is a good place around NE Dublin. sells 40 kg bags for 16/18 euro depending on the type. Woodies had 12.5kg bags displayed as being 'superb value' for 11 euro! AVOID!!!

Just a quick update, if you're are in Dublin city, KCR hardware are doing 40KG BNM Smokless for €14.95 not bad considering the quality and location (it's only 5mins from me :D)

just a quick update cheapest i have found coal in the charleville area is around 18 euro but i usually get it when im in limerick for 13.80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Just had a chap call selling 20kg smokeless polish coal for €7.90 and 40kg for €15.80. I've been using BnM briquettes from Atlantic Homecare @ 2 for €7.00 and chopped wood from a fallen tree in the nearby woods @ 0.00:pac: Lots more fallen trees down there too:eek:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Just got 40 kg bags of polish coal delivered at 12.60 a bag. very pleased.

kadman

where about you based Kadman?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭razor_ryan

Has Smokeless Coal gone up again was 14 euro 40kg bag bought some today same supplier 16.50 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Well Bord na Mona are putting their coal prices up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Well Bord na Mona are putting their coal prices up.

It seems they are and im not 100% sure but is there a new carbon type tax on coal as well this year?

My local supplier is importing most of his coal in now from either Scotland/Poland and Estonia.

I got 10 bales of estonian briquettes this wekend for 28€.

Timber seems to the most popular fuel now, I got a ton delivered for 60€. Dont think the government can tax timber, which is a shame as thats going to lead to the cutting down of many trees now. We have the greens to thank for that, putting all these taxes on energy/fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

No carbon tax on coal / briquettes yet.

Coal, just like oil is a traded commodity and prices move up and down depending on demand.

In August the price rose from $62 / ton to $73 / ton and its now back down at $62 / ton.

Last year it was relatively steady at $58 / ton

You then need to factor in cost of shipping it to Ireland, packing, delivery to yard.

Overall, prices should be steady and similar to last year - maybe a €1 higher. Premium grade will be about €17 / 40kg bag, bags of samller bits will be about €13/€14 / 40kg bag. Smokeless coal will be about 20% more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dazzer3838

Hi There,
    Topline Bolands have 5 x black diamond polish coal 40kg & 10 x bnm briquettes for €99!! . This is the best offer Anywhere. Let me Know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dazzer3838

Bnm Easiflame smokless coal 40kg only €11.99 ! Topline bolands arklow are really good on fuel prices. At last someone is not ripping the public off. Well done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Tony_Homefuel

Is coal the same quality from Estonia as from Pland or Scotland , I tried briquettes from Estonia and they just burnt to nothing in half the time bnm briquettes ,

BNM singles 40kg 11.75 in connaught gold garden centers

connaught gold also doing buy 10 bags of coal get 11th free. They give you a loyalty card and punch it each time you buy a bag. im using doubles at 12.50 for 40kg. Ive heard reports that there is a service station on the N17 near Claremorris doing 2*40kg for 19€

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Tony_Homefuel

I just wondered if all these prices that are been posted , are collect or delivered prices ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭u140acro3xs7dm

what's the cheapest place in South Dublin? Roughly between Bray, Dun Laoghaire and Sandyford. Looking for coal and briquettes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cheapest I've found is Select stores in Dalkey, last year they were the cheapest I knew of anyway :)

Just called select stores in dalkey they are €18 per 40kg bag delivered, I then rang Smyths in ballymount who are topline too, they quoted €15.95 per €40kg or 2x 40kg + 3x briquettes for €52 (I think)

Gonna keep looking!! Has to be something closer to the topline in Arklow up in Dublin, would happily buy a tonne at the right price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Just be aware of different qualities of coal.

Cheap household coal can be got for €12 / 40kg
    Premium would be about €16 / 40kg
    Smokeless will be higher again.

When burning, the cheaper stuff will burn a lot quicker - no problem if the fire is only needed for 2 / 3 hours, but if you're burning a fire for the whole evening, the premium grade will be better value in the end.

Advertisement