Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Just called tallght fuel and they are €19.50 per 40kg delivered, bs 18 in homestores in dalkey

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10 Tony_Homefuel

Hi ,
    A 40kg bag of black diamond polish coal in tallaght fuel centre is €18 euro ,
    Smokeless coal is the €19.50

As we all know ther are different bags of coal
    again these are delivered prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

Tny these are too expensive
    prices I've quoted are smokeless and delivered too
    I'll happily drive out of my way to but cheaper the sooner the better providers understand that the more business they may obtain, people are shopping about now. As you can see from earlier posts you can get 40Kg smokeless BNM bags from some providers for €11.95, why would you pay nearly 60% more than that to have it delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 imran_zaman

here is the good deal of coal guys

5 bag of 40 kg smokless coal + one fire lighter worth 2.49 euro

all for only 80 euro .so its saving of around 20 euro

because one bag of 40 kg smokless is 18.95.
    this offer is enniskerry post office shop.u have 2 talk one of the guy there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 imran_zaman

and the guy said beware of coal quality.

they r selling good coal balck diamond and stafford smokless coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

they r selling good coal balck diamond and stafford smokless coal.

Hahahaha. No such thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Eureka_Bg

Try CRUMLIN FUEL DEPOT.
    A Family run business delivering directly to your home. Covering most of the southside of Dublin with depots in Crumlin Village and Citywest.
    Tel: 01 4593861.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Aenaes wrote: »
    Hahahaha. No such thing.

What??? Your 1st post:confused: Welcome to boards.ie. Since when did Black Diamond & Staffords disappear?

Thank you.
    They're both still around. I meant there is no such thing as "good" BnM or Staffords coal.
    It's either Scottish or Russian coal.

Thank you.
    They're both still around. I meant there is no such thing as "good" BnM or Staffords coal.
    It's either Scottish or Russian coal.

Both BnM and Staffords supply very good quality fuels. They are very large companies who have the market dominated, so they are obviously doing something right.

• Advertisement

Eureka_Bg wrote: »
    Both BnM and Staffords supply very good quality fuels. They are very large companies who have the market dominated, so they are obviously doing something right.

Nice corporate looking answer. You obviously haven't tried burning their "Polish" coal. Case for false advertising right there.

Nice corporate looking answer. You obviously haven't tried burning their "Polish" coal. Case for false advertising right there.
    Have you tried their Polish Coal?

What about their Smokeless Coal?

Have you tried their Polish Coal?

What about their Smokeless Coal?

Yes.
    okgirl wrote: »
    a 20kg bag Staffords polish coal. The coal is not great and really small.

And so has she.
    Smokeless coal is about the same quality everywhere, can't go too far wrong with it.
    As almost everybody knows though, you need proper (smokey) coal to have a proper fire.

Yes.

And so has she.
    Smokeless coal is about the same quality everywhere, can't go too far wrong with it.
    As almost everybody knows though, you need proper (smokey) coal to have a proper fire.

I happen to know that both Staffords and BnM have good quality coal. As I said, they dominate the market.

I accept what you say about Smokeless Coal, you can't go far wrong with it at all. The quaility is consistantly of a high standard. As it is not generally mined from the ground, it rarely varies in quality. However, as most of the Smokeless Coals consist of a "Blend" you can get a better blend of fuels that produce a better performance in you fireplace.
    Very often, you can find a better blend from small independent suppliers, and obviously a more personal service.

I agree, with old (smokey) coal, you do indeed need to be more selective.

Anyway, try CRUMLIN FUEL DEPOT.
    As I said, a small independent importer and distributor of premium coal and Smokeless Fuel.
    I know you will receive a friendly reception, and the kind of personal service that only a family run business can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 captainchaos

Bought a 10kg bag of Ecoal (Environmentally Friendly coal) in Supervalue Churchtown..........great heat and very little ash but very expensive! Its €6.50 a bag!

Wonder has anyone else tried it and is it possible to buy cheaper elsewhere? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭trobbin

i got coal delivered and emptied into my bunker 18 euro per 40kg bag the coal is the best i ever burnt,the fella is based on the northside of dublin

don't know if he delivers other places his numer is 087 6952574
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CausewayCoal

Hi,

Company is called Causeway Coal Company Ltd. Based in Antrim. Because of the change in the exchange rate, they can compete really well at the moment. Polish coal

20kg €6.00
    40kg €11.00

only snag is that they are wholesalers and will have a 25 bag min Delivery (1 Tonne) so if you want to use them best group together to make up the order.
    you can find their coal for sale in various retailer/distributers but more expensive

let me know if you can get it cheaper anywhere else!!

I recommended a Coal Merchant in Dublin sometime ago.

Just to update anyone on the south-side of Dublin who is looking for a coal merchant. Crumlin Fuel Depot now have a website that you can check out.

I found their delivery service in Dublin very good, and more importantly the Quality of their Coal is second to none. Actually it is Smokeless Coal that I get delivered but they have a full range of fuel.

Anyway, check it out for yourself if you like on

www.coalmerchantsdublin.com

I recommended a Coal Merchant in Dublin sometime ago.

Just to update anyone on the south-side of Dublin who is looking for a coal merchant. Crumlin Fuel Depot now have a website that you can check out.

I found their delivery service in Dublin very good, and more importantly the Quality of their Coal is second to none. Actually it is Smokeless Coal that I get delivered but they have a full range of fuel.

Anyway, check it out for yourself if you like on

:o Sorry, I forgot to give the phone number for Crumlin Fuel Depot/

Its 01 459 3861

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

rusty1350 wrote: »
    I am sorry I did not see this topic earlier. Just paid 12.99 per 20kg bag in Londis in Malahide - what a rip-off.

At those kjnd of prices even with an efficient stove you are about 160% the price of oil and gas heating and getting very close to the price of electric heating and with nightsaver way more than the price of electricity. With an open fire you'll be more than twice the price of electric heating.

If your buying small quantities I have found the hayes lignite briquettes are excellent at 3.89 a bale that's 15.50 per 40kg calorific value for compressed ligjite is very similar to good coal and they burn completely no cinders.

:o Sorry, I forgot to give the phone number for Crumlin Fuel Depot/

Its 01 459 3861

Hi PaddyP

I agree with you that buying little 20kgs "handy packs" bags of coal from your local store each day or so is not the most economical way of heating your home in the long term. Along with buying the bales of briquettes that you mention, this kind of "handy pick up" on the way home is very often a stop gap measure while someone gets around to ordering the usual much more economical delivery to their home.

It goes without saying that anything from a couple of bags of coal delivered directly to your home to the even more cost effective "1/4 tonne Delivery" is not comparable in price terms to a "handy pack" from your local shop. However, without getting into the social arguement, "the handy pack" of coal and your bale of briquettes does indeed have it's place in alleviating Fuel Poverty for many people throughout the country.

For Gas customers finding their ever increasing bills somewhat overwhelming, especially in these challenging times, along with even more oil cutomers unable to stretch to a fill before the end of the month, the "Handy-Pack" can be hugely welcomed and easily manageable life saver.

Anyway, I agree with you that the normal 1/4 tonne (or more) Direct Delivery is the much more cost efficient and convenient way to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Put up a thread yesterday looking for cheap coal in Dublin 15.

Kellys, Dunboyne app have 40kg bags for 13 euro. Thats good value

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

184 bales of briquettes for 400 euro.I think I have enough to get me through this winter comming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

paddy147 wrote: »
    184 bales of briquettes for 400 euro.I think I have enough to get me through this winter comming.

Heres my personal experience of those eastern european briquettes. I bought a bunch of those last year at €2.30 a bale. Bales are average around 10kg vs 12.5kg for BNM comparing like for like at €2.30 per bale that makes €2.85 per bale or in your case €2.70 per bale. Still cheaper than BNM.

Those briquettes aren't wrapped for convenience and cleanliness etc. as they advertise they're wrapped because they fall apart very easily especially when they get wet they quickly turn into moss peat. In the fire they split apart quickly and burn very quickly they seem to produce more ash than BNM. In our oisin stove I can put in 5 bnm briquettes before bed and it will still be going in the morning, with the eastern european ones even with the baffle close to the minimum they don't last half the night. I went back to BNM and coal briquettes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

So where is everyone getting their coal this year? Any good deals around South Dublin for decent quality coal?

cormie wrote: »
    So where is everyone getting their coal this year? Any good deals around South Dublin for decent quality coal?

Hi Cormie.

Check out www.coalmerchantsdublin.com

It's a more traditional family firm of coal merchants who seem to source a consistently good quality coal. I know they deliver all over the southside of Dublin, and I think the deliver all over Dublin.
    Sometimes have special offers. You can check it out.

Crumlin Fuel Depot... 01 459 38 61

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks, any idea how much their 12x40kg bag is? I wouldn't need that many at all and I've a van so collecting that much would, I'm sure be cheaper than them delivering it.

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks, any idea how much their 12x40kg bag is? I wouldn't need that many at all and I've a van so collecting that much would, I'm sure be cheaper than them delivering it.

I can't remember the exact price for 12 x 40kg bags, but I do remember they were very competitive considering the Quality and Service.

I just had a quick look on their site and they have some free offer with 12 bags of smokeless coal. I think you can get a 1/4 tonne (6 bags) delivered too.

If you look on www.coalmerchantsdublin.com there might be more information.

About collecting the coal, I really don't know as I get mine delivered all the time. But ring them on 01 459 3861.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Cormie, I just rang on that deal - 220 for masterblend, 230 for diamondblend for 12 x 40kg bags and 6 bags of logs...so nearly 20 a bag, that's a bit pricey...

Advertisement