Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

call of duty 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Ba_BaraccuS

Well, good or bad, I am am going to give it a go. the developers know what they are at.
    they added xp again, this is nothing but a con to get us to buy ASAP so our XP is up witht the next gamers.
    So after work today, I am straight to my local store to get a copy and start playing.

BTW, loads of peeps who pre ordered on line got it yesterday. I have got mixed reviews from m8s, some nice looking maps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

€45 in Smyths today (heard it on the radio)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

The multiplayer is not as good as CoD4

I put this mainly down to the sh1t weapons. They are dreadful, really frustrating to use. Played it for about 5-6 hours one night with a friend and it drove us both nuts.

Would not buy this

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Its out today isn't it?

I could either get the PS3 version or the Wii version. I would rather the Wii version as i prefer FPS with the remote to a gamepad just as long as the reviews are good. I havn't got COD4 for the PS3 yet do i think ill get that one for the PS3.

Anyone see a Wii review?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

im very tempted to get this,very very tempted :-/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 John Sheehy

Chumpski wrote: »
    Its out today isn't it?

I could either get the PS3 version or the Wii version. I would rather the Wii version as i prefer FPS with the remote to a gamepad just as long as the reviews are good. I havn't got COD4 for the PS3 yet do i think ill get that one for the PS3.

Anyone see a Wii review?

I haven't read a review on the Wii version but I can't see it surpassing the PS3 (or 360) versions...

I think IGN gave it a decent enough score though... 80 our of 100 or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Vegeta wrote: »
    The multiplayer is not as good as CoD4

I put this mainly down to the sh1t weapons. They are dreadful, really frustrating to use. Played it for about 5-6 hours one night with a friend and it drove us both nuts.

Would not buy this

You get awful weapons starting out (feckin Soviet Tokarev is woeful) but once ya move up with the levelling you'll open up the weapon sets. All ya need is level 20 for the M1 Garand. Beaut of a weapon and in this new CoD you can reload mid-clip.

Game is awesome by the way. Treyarch have created the best WW2 shooter evar!

Cheers, 8/10 is a solid score. I know the main version is the 360/PS3 game for multiplayer and everything but ill get it for the Wii i reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Do you have a PC? Saw the Wii version today, looks like an old Xbox original game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Right I just got the game about 20 minutes and I'm loving it. It's a lot more fluid than COD4 and the Pacific setting is really good. If you can grow a pair and get over the WW2 setting. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

finished it on piss easy version. Not impressed at all, Graphics i think are pretty good but the story aint nothing compared to COD4. Have yet to play it on LIVE so hopefully that will be its saving grace

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

finished it on piss easy version

Why did you even bother? CoD games are best played at the highest difficulty levels

I'm a few hours into it atm and I'm liking it. The CoD series really knows how to ramp up the action. I was dreading the whole checkpoint triggered spawning of badguys and respawning until you get to the next checkpoint but so far it hasn't been an issue.

I was thinking back over why I felt so jaded about the whole WWII FPS and I think its mainly Medal of Honour to blame. Every CoD game I've played has been consistently solid, I should stop doubting it :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Skippy65

Does anybody else keep gettin matched up with glitchy f**kers? Especially on free for all. And its not my connection because i have full signal strength beside my name in the lobby. Its really startin to turn me off the game, that and the really crap weapons!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Why did you even bother? CoD games are best played at the highest difficulty levels

Wanted to get into playing the zombie mode on multiplayer A-SAP

Do you have a PC? Saw the Wii version today, looks like an old Xbox original game.

I have a PC but its not fast enough. I bought the Wii version at the weekend. Only had a quick go of it so far. I must give the multiplayer a go later on as well. It plays well. Controls are better than COD 3. It looks decent too. I think its the exact same game as the next gen versions, just doesn't look as nice. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Wanted to get into playing the zombie mode on multiplayer A-SAP

This makes no sense. So you ruined the campaign by playing it on the easiest difficulty and then give out about how rubbish the campaign was?

The whole point of the CoD series is that it sells itself on the ever increasing difficulty in any of its set piece levels until finally it reaches a huge crescendo and the music and explosions start. You need to feel stressed and at your limit to appreciate it. In CoD3, holding the ferris wheel would not of been near as memorable had I played it so that I could just stand there picking off the aggressors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have a PC but its not fast enough. I bought the Wii version at the weekend. Only had a quick go of it so far. I must give the multiplayer a go later on as well. It plays well. Controls are better than COD 3. It looks decent too. I think its the exact same game as the next gen versions, just doesn't look as nice. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Yeah but that's a pretty huge point in FPS games, whatever about other genres. Personally if I was you I would have bought it on the PS3, half the fun of the COD games is the cinematic experience which is tied into the visuals. I'm not saying the Wii version is a bad game, but when you also have a PS3 I don't get why you'd pick the Wii version which is crippled visually in comparison.

I'm not playing World at War until Christmas (well, not the SP anyway), as I don't want to have to run it at anything less then maxed out settings on my current card. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Energizer

Played this during the weekend.

Its good but really irritating.

It has the exact same problems that Medal of Honour: Airbourne had:

1. To restricted, only have a small area to play in.

2. AI is crap, my team is a bunch of fools and couldn't hit the side of a barn.

3. AI is really crap, your team might well not be there for the effectiveness of them. I hate the way that all the enemy concentrates on you and leaves the rest alone. Also the pinpoint accuracy of the grenades and also shooting me from across the map with a machine gun and hitting me everytime with every shot. :mad:

Many flaws in the game that destroy the illusion of realism. But still action-packed and fun. Sniper battle is really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I got this yesterday for the PC and have played through the first few missions within the Pacific campaign. So far I'm really enjoying it. Yes, it's more of the same, but what's the harm in that ? I like the fact that it's a lot more bloody than COD4. The atmosphere is great. I'll be playing it through to completion. I probably won't bother with the online play as I've far too many games to play through right now. Fallout 3, Red Alert 3, Far Cry 2 on the PC and Dead Space on PS3.

TC

• Advertisement

Yeah but that's a pretty huge point in FPS games, whatever about other genres. Personally if I was you I would have bought it on the PS3, half the fun of the COD games is the cinematic experience which is tied into the visuals. I'm not saying the Wii version is a bad game, but when you also have a PS3 I don't get why you'd pick the Wii version which is crippled visually in comparison.

I'm not playing World at War until Christmas (well, not the SP anyway), as I don't want to have to run it at anything less then maxed out settings on my current card. :D

I picked the Wii version cos i'd prefer good controls over graphics. The wii controller is brilliant for FPS IMO.

I do see what your saying though about the experience and the visuals. I have yet to play COD 4 on the PS3. So i decided i'd get COD 5 for the Wii and COD 4 for the visuals and multiplayer on the PS3. I hope the COD4 players won't be all after upgrading to COD 5 by the time i get around to playing online!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

I picked the Wii version cos i'd prefer good controls over graphics. The wii controller is brilliant for FPS IMO.

I got it on Wii as well, here's my code: 0946-5705-3341
    Loving it so far and better than the previous benchmark on Wii (Medal of Honor: Heroes 2).

Energizer wrote: »

3. AI is really crap, your team might well not be there for the effectiveness of them. I hate the way that all the enemy concentrates on you and leaves the rest alone. Also the pinpoint accuracy of the grenades and also shooting me from across the map with a machine gun and hitting me everytime with every shot. :mad:

Many flaws in the game that destroy the illusion of realism. But still action-packed and fun. Sniper battle is really good.

Yeah, I was playing the level where you
    are taking out the Japanese trenches and securing the head
    and I'm starting to get really pissed off with the AI. I'm behind all of my squad, and all of a sudden I hear "Bonzai" and the Japanese come around the corner, my squad steps out of the way and they all run right at me while I was reloading :mad: This has been happening way too often where I really do feel like i'm on my own. The AI never moves forward until I've completely cleared out an area so what is the point of them. They also rarely throw back a grenade. The grenades are the most irritating as they are always just far away that you can't throw them back in time and just close enough that they will kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Played this during the weekend.

Its good but really irritating.

It has the exact same problems that Medal of Honour: Airbourne had:

1. To restricted, only have a small area to play in.

exactly what i was gonna post..One of the most frustrating games i have ever played..Your just a one man army.Your whole squad waits behind you and cant see anything.They shoot at enemys a mile away yet one standing beside them they dont see..And the sounds off the guns is awful.None of them sound right bar the rifles i feel.:mad:

ROLL ON COD5! (the real one)

lol, glad i could hit the nail on the head. Really irritating.

Why make a game where it is you against a whole army and then make it so bloody easy for you to die.

I have replayed some sections so many times that i got bored of the repetition and gave up for a few hours only to come back and scrap my way through.

Someday they will make a war game with really good AI. All of them have really bad faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I have replayed some sections so many times that i got bored of the repetition and gave up for a few hours only to come back and scrap my way through.

So why do you keep coming back?

I'm quite enjoying the game myself. In 4-player coop anyway, which probably makes up for the friendly AI. And Nazi Zombies is some of the most fun I've had in quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

get it for PC
    have your cake and eat it too! :D

I got it for 360 to play over live, and I think its pretty good. Do like some of the little new things, like how people in your party appear as blue on the map. Could have done with some more new perks and challenages, about 95% of them are the same from cod4. Thats definitely something they could have added more on...

Playing through the single player on veteran. The grenades are a joke!!!! hundreds and all at you, plus your squad are just useless and sometimes actually get in the way. Only way to play some parts just seems to fire a few shots, and run to some cover, (hope no grenades come) reload and repeat. Your squad will only move forward when you do! :(

Sarky wrote: »
    So why do you keep coming back?

Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy the game, it just has a few bugs that piss me off.

Love the storyline and is quite challenging in a mission sense which is good. not too dumbed down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

The way the wii controllers can be put together to make a gun looks really cool.Say its good fun playing with that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

not too dumbed down.

The only thing that breaks the monotony of shooting is to throw back grenades, there's no alternate routes or strategies, I don't think it's possible to dumb this down any further. But it does have flame throwers, and who doesn't like those?

Advertisement