Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

missing fingers!- best muscial options?

Options
  • 09-11-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I'm missing the last two fingers from my right hand but luckily I am naturally left handed:). Because of that and lack of interest at the time anyhow, I never learned an instrument but of course would love to learn now.. So before I think about getting bodhran lessons:rolleyes:, I would like to hear any suggestions on more mainstream options? Some thoughts.. Keyboard ; think would need an imaginative instuctor but surely do-able ???- even to play a few tunes on 1.5 hands would be great !! Guitar; I think I am too left handed to change to a right handed style, even if that were possible...Tin whistle; I got away with the tin whistle at school (a long time ago! in my late forthies now..)- used four fingers on left, two from right - have all 'Irish flutes' six holes? - I like the long flute sound?.. Trombone- can you get them left handed ??? -Harmonica is obviously do-able but wouldnt be an instrument of choice. Thanks for looking..any suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭mr kilo

try singing

or buy an ipod

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I wouldn't give up on the idea of the Guitar if that's what you're into. Two very well respected guitarists that I can think of lost the use of two of their fingers on their fretting hand.

The most accomplished is Django Reinhardt who was a Jazz guitarist who played with Stephane Grappelli. He lost the use of his last two fingers in a fire.

More famously though is Tony Iommi who plays guitar for Black Sabbath. He lost the tips of his middle and ring fingers in an industrial accident at a Sheet metal factory so taught himself to play using predominantly his other two. And he's a leftie two.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Rancidmaniac13

You could go for a french horn. Unlike the Trumpet you use your left hand to push the vavles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

There shouldn't be too big a problem trying to learn guitar the normal (right handed :P) way, 2 of my brothers are lefties and they play right handed guitars, and you only need a finger and a thumb to hold a pick . . .

Plus, I'd advise lefties to learn guitar that way anyway, since there are way more options for right handed guitars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

eagle owl wrote: »
    but luckily I am naturally left handed:).

not lucky in guitar terms! if you were right handed you would have no probs as those 2 fingers dont do too much anyways!

as above poster said, just learn the guitar right handed, it shouldnt be any problem at all really, if it seems weird at first...thats because it is! right OR left handed! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You don't need Bodhran lessons, well maybe one. I knew a session guitar player who lost a few fingers and switched over to playing with the other hand.

I reckon you could adapt to most instruments really...

The lo-whistle/flute has quite a stretch between holes.
    Banjo or Mandolin might be worth messing with to see what you can do. Therimin is an option if an unusual one.

How about drums? Def Leppard's drummer has one arm!

Yer man from Black Sabbath lost his finger on the last day he was working as a sheet metal worker before being a pro musician too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I got it!!!
    SLIDE GUITAR!!! eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

pug_ wrote: »
    I wouldn't give up on the idea of the Guitar if that's what you're into. Two very well respected guitarists that I can think of lost the use of two of their fingers on their fretting hand.

The most accomplished is Django Reinhardt who was a Jazz guitarist who played with Stephane Grappelli. He lost the use of his last two fingers in a fire.

Not quite true, two of his fingers became fused together, he had three fingers basically. Plus he was tremendously gifted to begin with and had to spend a year relearning how to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

slide guitar be good alright. Drums obviously be no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭mr kilo

seanybiker wrote: »
    slide guitar be good alright. Drums obviously be no bother.
    Ya and da drums would be fairly cool too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Stu-b-one

check out wallis bird she lost a couple of fingers when she was a tot she plays guitar upsidedown

• Registered Users Posts: 19 eagle owl

Thanks for all the replies.
    Agree that you can adapt to anything if you put your mind to it. Taught myself to touch type in my own way- not perfect but effective.
    Interesting about all the guitar players but nobody mentioned keyboard playing with one or one and a half hands for a leaner. ..piano would be an instrument of choice.. Slide guitar and french horn appeal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Thomas from Presence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

You could play bass, it's easier to get away with only using one or two fingers on the fretting hand. Although people do use chords sometimes on bass it's not as common.

There's also a well known bass player (can't rememeber his name tho :rolleyes:) that has only one arm. He still manages to play pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

eagle owl wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Agree that you can adapt to anything if you put your mind to it. Taught myself to touch type in my own way- not perfect but effective.
    Interesting about all the guitar players but nobody mentioned keyboard playing with one or one and a half hands for a leaner. ..piano would be an instrument of choice.. Slide guitar and french horn appeal too.

as far as i know keyboards/ piano would be difficult as you wouldnt be able to make proper chords

Advertisement