Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Mullingar commutable to Dublin?

Options
  • 09-11-2008 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi I wanted to know if Mullingar is commutable to Dublin and roughly how much it would cost in train tickets and how long the journey is. I know what the IE timetables say but I'd love to hear from people who actually make the journey. My boyfriend and I will be moving up from Galway next May. Him for college as a mature student and me for work. As it is here we have a really nice apartment for good rent. So we'd rather live somewhere nice next year rather than be close to the city centre. daft.ie lists some really nice, good value places in Mullingar, but is it too far to commute? What do people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I commute everyday from mullingar, have done for 8 years now. I used to get the early train, think its leaves mullingar at 06.50am, gets into dublin at 8.20am. but in the past few months, i've changed my hours, so i now drive to kinnegad(10 minute drive from mullingar) and get bus from there - Slieve bloom bus - it leaves kinnegad at 6.25am, gets me to o'connell bridge usually around 7.15am, so i'm in work around 7.30am. i get the 1st bus home then leaving george's quay at 4.20pm, gets me back to kinnegad at 5.30pm. there are of course other buses servicing Kinnegad, aswell as bus eireann at varying times that might suit you. or you may prefer the train. personally i now prefer the comfort and reliability of the bus. the trains are always packed to capacity by the time it leaves maynooth - the early trains on that route stop at every station - they get so cramped there's barely any oxygen left, plus you have to push your way off them. I think the service is better in the evening for heading back to mullingar - i think there's a train leaving every hour. i've often got the 5pm train that gets into mullingar at around 6pm.. I detest irish rail though, they are very unreliable and if the train is cancelled/delayed, they tend not to offer any alternative on that route. I had an annual ticket back then, cost e2200 - but i got it through my employer so there was a tax relief on it. the bus costs e46/week for weekly ticket which i think is good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Anu

Thanks.That's pretty good. I looked up Kinnegad as well on daft.ie after I read your post and accommodation isn't bad there either. What time is the last bus from Dublin? and where do you park your car in Kinnegad? Also what areas should be avoided for living in in Mullingar?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

i have just been going on the train for 4 months now and i find it ok the odd delay homes sometimes not often. if your on flexi its very good other than that i feel getting in at a decent hour in the morning is impossible with the train id like to be in at 8 but thats not going to happen unless you get the 6:15 bus which is way to early for my liking and the bus is much more uncomfortable compared to the sligo trains which is what im getting to and from work.
    The cost im paying a month for the train is 235 but from the new year i will be paying 2350 which comes out of my wages so be cheaper again.
    Again depending on what times you want to be in and out of dublin dictate what travel you can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Mullingar is not too far to commute from. I have been commuting to Intel for the last three years and i much prefer Mullingar to living in Maynooth.
    The train is the better option but as the previous thread said that the first train in the morning can be wedged after maynooth is correct. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I drive from Mullingar to Tallaght and have to say it's not too bad, but the tolls and mileage on the car do add up. I'd love to be able to get the train but it just wouldn't work out for me, anytime I've gotten the train it's been packed, seem reliable enough for time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

nhughes100 wrote: »
    I drive from Mullingar to Tallaght and have to say it's not too bad, but the tolls and mileage on the car do add up. I'd love to be able to get the train but it just wouldn't work out for me, anytime I've gotten the train it's been packed, seem reliable enough for time though.

Do you do that 5 days a week? What time do you have to leave at if you don't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

ian_m wrote: »
    Do you do that 5 days a week? What time do you have to leave at if you don't mind me asking?
    Probably only takes less than an hour i'd imagine? When i don't bus or train it, i get a lift up with hubby in his car..We'd leave Lakepoint at 6.15am, and i'd pretty much on most days be at my desk in the IFSC before 7.30am. Leave work at 4.10pm, and i'd be back home in Mullingar by 5.45pm normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

ian_m wrote: »

Depends what time I want to be in by, leave 8-8.15 get in around 9.15-9.30, if I want to be in for 8am I'd leave around 6.30. Yep I do that 5 days a week for the past 4 and a half years. Getting in ain't so bad, getting home is usally worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

I often get the commuter train up in the morning (im a student) and yes it is handy and much nicer than buses; however it is increasingly packed (gets worse every year). I often count the number on the platform. Last time I went up there was 120 getting on in Mullingar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Anu

What other commutable towns are nearby? And how much does this weekly transport cost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irish_Enigma

Anu wrote: »
    What other commutable towns are nearby? And how much does this weekly transport cost?

Athlone Town in Co.Westmeath is serviced by 3 to 4 bus companies to Dublin, including Nestors, CityLink and Bus Eireann with various timetables. It is also serviced by Rail to Dublin as it is on the main Dublin - Galway rail route. Journey times to city center about 1hour 15mins. Under 1 hour if you are commuting by car.
    Athlone is classified as a central gateway town and has a pretty good social infrastructure, ie shopping centers, cinema, restaurants, bars and clubs...etc..including discount stores such as Aldi and Lidl. Accommodation is reasonably priced at present and will more than likely reduce in 2009 as supply will out strip demand. 2 bed apartments vary from €550 to €750 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Caroline_ire

ive been commuting up and down for 5 years now or more, i drove to Inchicore for 3 years, didnt like that but had no choice where i was working. Traffic at Lucan is unreal but thank god i got a job in city centre, i get the 730 train up to dublin every day, ive never experienced it to be late much and Irish Rail organise bus if train breaks down (these things happen but very rarely in my experience)

Advertisement