Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Airlines and free ski's

• 09-11-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

Know some of the airlines offered free ski transport for last season, does anyone know if there are any plans to repeat for this season??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

To the best of my knowledge, as long as you keep your skis under your luggage allowance, they should be free anyway. Some will mutter about not guaranteeing it goes on the same flight as you, but I've never known that to happen. It's the packages that charge an arm and a leg for skis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭air

Free anyway? Wtf? If ryanair get a sniff of sports equipment you'll pay the appropriate charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Last time I took skis on Ryanair (it was a couple of years ago), they took them, but plastered "FRAGILE" stickers all over them.

EileenG wrote: »
    (it was a couple of years ago)
    Oh how things have changed!
    On the plus side, if you're travelling in a group it can be handy to stick a few sets of skis or boards in the same box or whatever & split the costs that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Got some flights to Geneva last week for €70 return, my snowboard bag cost me €60..
    I wonder if I paid the extra €10 could I have brought the bag on board and sat it next to me.. I'd like that.

My greatest fear every year when I go away, is that the airport will lose my bags.

• Advertisement

You can do it for a musical instrument - http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=seatmusical
    But I dont think so for sports equipment.
    Could be a great deal if the flights were going cheap or whatever, I'm sure you'd be hit for the taxes and charges on the musical instrument too!
    Edit - looks like it might be possible - http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/faqs.php?sect=bag&quest=extrabaggage

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

checked on the flight, at the moment have to pay extra for the board bag (got the two boards in one bag thing a while ago) - not sure but came across it someplace that ski boots are termed an 'offensive' weapon?.

Must email Ryanair to see are they doing the same offer again this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I took my boots on as hand luggage a few years ago but haven't tried that in a while now, have mostly been on charter flights so the baggage is never an issue then anyway. I think I've seen people having trouble getting boots through Dublin more recently though, but then I saw several people carrying boots around Heathrow a couple of months ago when I was on my back from New Zealand. If Heathrow doesn't have a problem with them then nowhere else should.

Advertisement