Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless LAN refusing connections (Netopia router)

Options
  • 09-11-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

A friend reported the other day that she could no longer connect to her wireless LAN. This problem affected both laptops in the house.

I found that both PCs could see the network, but when they tried to connect, they were asked to enter the network key. When I entered the key, I was just returned to the "Enter key" dialog after about 30 secs. I confirmed that the key was correct by copying and pasting it (using the desktop PC that is directly connected to the router).

I then changed the network key, and rebooted the router, and both laptops were able to access the wireless LAN and browse the Internet once I entered the new key on each.

No sooner had I got home, however, than I got a message to say that the laptops had since gone into standby, as is normal, and, when they resumed, they were faced with the same problem as before.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Operating systems: Windows XP Home and Windows Vista Home Premium.

Router: Netopia (model unknown - standard issue with Eircom broadband); firmware almost certainly not latest version.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

pdebarra wrote: »
    A friend reported the other day that she could no longer connect to her wireless LAN. This problem affected both laptops in the house.

I found that both PCs could see the network, but when they tried to connect, they were asked to enter the network key. When I entered the key, I was just returned to the "Enter key" dialog after about 30 secs. I confirmed that the key was correct by copying and pasting it (using the desktop PC that is directly connected to the router).

I then changed the network key, and rebooted the router, and both laptops were able to access the wireless LAN and browse the Internet once I entered the new key on each.

No sooner had I got home, however, than I got a message to say that the laptops had since gone into standby, as is normal, and, when they resumed, they were faced with the same problem as before.

Has anyone encountered this problem before?

Operating systems: Windows XP Home and Windows Vista Home Premium.

Router: Netopia (model unknown - standard issue with Eircom broadband); firmware almost certainly not latest version.

What happens when they shutdown the computers and reconnect? Typically S3 (Standby) causes issues with wireless cause it attempts to reconnect on resume, some wireless card deal with this ok, but some I have seen cause and issue -

Recommend - Windows Update see if there are new wireless drivers also along with windows hotfixes, Router firmware upgrade, Change the Key type from WEP 64 to 128 or WPA etc just to see if it changes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

did you try assigning static ips to both machines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mollyoh

Has she got a plug in cordless phone connected to same line?? This happens me if the phone is between me and router!! Had terrible problems trying to sort it and eventually eircom gave this as a reason. Connection is fine if laptop is at one end of router but wont work if at phone side if you get me! Plugging out the phone helps otherwise get router connected to a different phone socket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

Do both computers use the same type of WLAN adapter (Belkin, Linksys, Netgear etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Many thanks for replies. Am heading back over now, so will update drivers first, and see if that solves anything!

Cheers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement