Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water/Condensation on inside of double glazing

Options
  • 09-11-2008 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi there,
    I was pulling the curtains and I spotted water/condensation on the inside of the window.
    Im not 100% but I dont think its between the glass, just the seal on the outside, there was a lot of rain today.
    Its a new house, only 10 months in.
    I took pics and attached so you can have a look,
    any advice greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If that is inside your 2 pains of glass, then im afraid they will need replace .

There will be a code and size visible between the 2 pains of glass. \\\\printed. write it down and call any window manufacturer for a quote to replace it. It is a straight forward 10 min job with the correct tools and the correct size glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭HighWire

Im not 100% sure, but I think its inside the pvc and rubber seal on the outside of the window.
    But not in the gap between the two panes of glass if you know what I mean.
    Had a look at other windows in the house and they seem to be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

If the water is between the glass sheets then the seal is broken, gsxr1 is correct.
    If its on the internal surface of the internal sheet of glass i.e it can be wiped by your finger then :-
    1. The seal is broken and the panel needs to be replaced.
    2. There is a slight draught under the window - cold air is condensating on the glass. From the cavity or cill, under the window board.
    3. If its a new build - then walls could still be drying out, causing condensation. (Unlikely but possible)
    Seal the perimeter of the windowboard to see if 2. is the problem.

Its not between the glass.
    But its not on the inside,
    Its like as if its caught between the PVC and glass on the outside
    below the rubber seal.

Here's a really bad diagram attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,168 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Oh yes.
    I see what you mean.
    It looks like the rubber seal has failed.
    It will need to be reapplied. Contact the supplier and see what they can offer you. This shouldn't happen after 10 months.

• Advertisement

Or get back onto the builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

i can't see how you'd know there's water down there as it's not visible to the eye. heavy rain will seep down between the glass and the rubber gasket, but there should be drainage holes on all the frames. i have come accross windows that have drainage holes in one section, but not the next, or the glass is not sitting on packers, which prevents the water from running off.

call the builder, and hope he gets the window guys out, but if you are left chasing him, just call a window outfit yourself. it shouldn't be hard to remedy.
    too many cowboys out there these days. maybe this little recession will bring some of the quality back to new builds.

Hi Kitser, thanks for that, did you see the original pics I posted?

hey hirewire

i saw the pics but couldn't see clearly the problem, a mix of poor graphics on the computer and bad eyesite. you could water test your windows yourself to be sure of wwhere the waters coming in. get the garden hose out and concentrate the flow at a highish pressure at the window starting at the bottom of the glass for a few minutes, then working your way up till you find the problem area. sounds like a blocked drainage, but can't be sure till its looked at. the inside of the framed is made up of partitions or cells and if the drainage slots don't feed into each cavity you will get water logging.

So if its just on the outside is it that big of a deal.
    The builders havent handed over the estate yet, so I can imagine what they might say.
    Wouldnt the water just evaporate or would it cause a more serious problem?

• Advertisement

its ok if it drains off. if its not draining off, eventually the seal could fail on the unit and the glass will fog up. .

Advertisement