Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats your whiskey?

Options
  • 09-11-2008 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I recently got some free Jameson at a promotion they were doing in a club. I never had Jameson before and i also never drank Whiskey with a mixer. Part of the promotion was that you had to choose between Ginger ale, Sprite or Coke to drink it with. I had it with ginger ale for the craic nd i have to say it was pretty good.. Wat do yous think people?? If your going to drink whiskey is it a sin to mix it with soft drinks!!??
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

jd and coke yummy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Jameson all the way.
    Winter ..hot, one sugar..no floaty things!

Summer, straight..on ice, couldint handle many of them though..anyone got the lend of a kidney? seem to have lost one of mine.

Mixers are EVIL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 kp29

ye thats what i thought!!! They seem to be seriously trying to reposition de brand or sumtin......I dunno wheter its a good thing tho, most people i know who drink whiskey knock it back straight! Suppose there opening up the whiskey market tho 2 new customers:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Blended whiskey - Powers, with the same amount of water.

Single malt should be unadulterated and sipped, IMO

People that put mixers in whiskey probably dont like whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maxtiny

A very Spanish typical Spanish drink is Whiskey & Coke - made all the better with Spanish measures!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭davros

Whiskey and ginger is a great drink. Any serious whiskey drinker will tell you to drink it the way you like it - mixed, on ice, with water or neat. But if you are going to mix it or add ice then do it with a cheaper whiskey because you are masking the taste of the spirit and that's a waste of a good whiskey.

Jemmy is perfect for mixing or serving over ice. Often have it on ice myself when I'm out.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

maxtiny wrote: »
    A very Spanish typical Spanish drink is Whiskey & Coke - made all the better with Spanish measures!!!:D

Yep, ordered a bourbon in Madrid one time and it was half full of coke before I'd even a chance to tell the barmaid that I didn't even want ice in it, never mind coke. I wasn't happy. :mad:

For me, Wild Turkey, no ice or mixer. If I'm drinking Irish whiskey, Black Bush, again neat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

squibs wrote: »
    Blended whiskey - Powers, with the same amount of water.

Single malt should be unadulterated and sipped, IMO

People that put mixers in whiskey probably dont like whiskey.

Disagree, good whiskey like wild turkey or lockes is great neat or with a drop of water. Jamesons, paddys, and other cheaper brands are better with ginger ale than without.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭shanel23

Good Irish Whiskey should be drunk neat - cheaper inferior stuff like scotch etc can be mixed with mixer but thats just to lessen the taste... :D

Hard to beat a Powers or a green spot

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

davros wrote: »
    Any serious whiskey drinker will tell you to drink it the way you like it - mixed, on ice, with water or neat. But if you are going to mix it or add ice then do it with a cheaper whiskey because you are masking the taste of the spirit and that's a waste of a good whiskey.

Absolutely agree. Also, they say that adding a bit of water to a whisk(e)y brings out more flavour.

If you buy a sinlge malt at 40% abv, it is very very likely that it has already been watered down - unless it's very old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Redbreast for me, but it's a very strong whiskey.
    shanel23 wrote: »
    Good Irish Whiskey should be drunk neat - cheaper inferior stuff like scotch etc can be mixed with mixer but thats just to lessen the taste... :D

Hard to beat a Powers or a green spot

Some whiskeys are good neat, others taste better with some water or ice as it brings out the flavour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I've yet to find a decent whiskey that tastes better with water or ice than it does neat. I'll keep looking though :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Most buffs say that water or ice brings out the flavour and I'm inclined to agree with them, if you want to get something a little nicer then the run of the mill jemmy and powers my advice is to get a Crested Ten or Black Bush, crested is to Jameson what Black Bush is to Bushmills, little bit more expensive, not in every pub but you'll go a long way to find a better value for money whiskey imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

nhughes100 wrote: »
    Most buffs say that water or ice brings out the flavour and I'm inclined to agree with them, if you want to get something a little nicer then the run of the mill jemmy and powers my advice is to get a Crested Ten or Black Bush, crested is to Jameson what Black Bush is to Bushmills, little bit more expensive, not in every pub but you'll go a long way to find a better value for money whiskey imo.

I'd agree with that also. Even a drop or two of water opens the nose of a whiskey. Even I can detect that, and I'm no expert. It doesn't work for every whiskey, though. I also agree with the Crested Ten and the Black Bush.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I've yet to find a decent whiskey that tastes better with water or ice than it does neat. I'll keep looking though :-)

I know it sounds very pretentious to describe the flavours etc, but if you add a single cube of ice to a generous measure of redbreast, it brings out a strong vanilla flavour which is beautiful to smell and gives it a great taste. Also, as redbreast is oak matured the flavour is very harsh when drunk neat, but that bit of dilution makes the taste more distinct.

Midleton on the other hand, loses a lot of flavour when mixed with even a small amount of water.

Bushmills with crushed ice is a great summer drink, but you have to drink it fast!

And of course on these cold winter nights, nothing beats a good hot jameson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭abitlonely

davros wrote: »
    Any serious whiskey drinker
    I haven't met many of them :D

I'm don't often drink spirits but it's a Bushmills single malt when I do.
    Johnny Walker Black label is also a fine drink. Or does scotch count?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Brockagh wrote: »
    Absolutely agree. Also, they say that adding a bit of water to a whisk(e)y brings out more flavour.

If you buy a sinlge malt at 40% abv, it is very very likely that it has already been watered down - unless it's very old.

I got a bottle of Bushmills rare bourbon cask that's 56.5%, I enquired as to why it was so strong and was told that 56.5 is the national strength of whiskey so most freely available whiskies are watered down on the alcohol front - I've also got the rum cask bottle number 2 that's never been opened, it's my one whiskey investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

a lot of places have enough water in it, more places have stuff home blended in the 6 counties, also i know of a pub where the joke is that if you drink 7 half one you get the next 2 free, as far as i know they have not been claimed yet, if you drink whiskey neat you will get the flavours and taste correct, also you will immediatly know if it is correct or not, after 2or three you will not notice it anway

Advertisement