Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ARTS GRADUATION FOR YEAR 2007/8

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Any1 know when it on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

pretty sure its december first.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

See http://www.ucd.ie/confer/schedule.htm - it's spread over a couple of weeks.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I still haven't received any notification from them, I'm going over tomorrow to see what's up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭bnt

betafrog wrote: »
    They actually celebrate an Arts student graduating???!!!?? :eek:
    Now, now, be nice. It must be hard being an Arts graduate these days, when there are so many that UCD has to stagger the conferrals over several weeks. Next, the graduates have to find employers who appreciate what they have to offer:
    When you complete an Arts (known as a BA) degree at UCD you will gain a dynamic, rigorous and thoroughly comprehensive education. With its broad range of subjects, this degree offers a sound foundation for any number of potential careers, as well as providing a set of skills that will stand to you in any future employment.
    You can always go and do Sales for Jamesons' Whiskey - they have posters up that say they're recruiting graduates with "any degree". ;)

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Leonid

mmmm, Jamesons tasty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

ShaneU wrote: »
    I still haven't received any notification from them, I'm going over tomorrow to see what's up.
    I think you normally don't get the info etc. sent out in the post until 2 weeks or so beforehand, so it should probably be arriving in the next few days or next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

I got my pack the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

bnt wrote: »
    Now, now, be nice. It must be hard being an Arts graduate these days, when there are so many that UCD has to stagger the conferrals over several weeks. Next, the graduates have to find employers who appreciate what they have to offer:

You can always go and do Sales for Jamesons' Whiskey - they have posters up that say they're recruiting graduates with "any degree". ;)

Just as an aside;

There are very few people who welcome economic down turns, and I dont understand how anyone could take joy from the hardships of others, however recessions are a naturally occurring and entirely necessary market correction process. In the past there were many employers who were in such dire need of staff that very little consideration was given to their ability / qualification / suitability re: the role they were being hired for.

In theory there is nothing wrong with an Arts degree, though in UCD it has a certain (not wholly unjustified) reputation. For example, FLYNN-DOG here has no basic research skills. Its easy to find conferring dates, and there is a link already in this forum.

A lot of people atm study arts without giving any thought to future career opportunities (understandable considering the market 18-25 yo in Ireland grew up in). Depending on the length / severity of the downturn I think we will see a drop off in the number of people choosing to study arts, or at least the a reduction in the number of dossers and that can only be a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

bnt wrote: »

You know, normally mindless comments like this one wouldn't bother me but when you're trying your best to reach deadlines, your stressed and everything is getting on top of you, a post like this one does not help.

In fact, I think the Arts bashing in here goes way too far. Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

When you're stressed and trying to reach dealines, browsing internet bulletin boards dont help either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

When you're stressed and trying to reach dealines, browsing internet bulletin boards dont help either.

Wow.. well done. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Cannibal Ox

Hypothetical situation. What if I may have forgotten about graduating, and say I forgot to go for the fitting/booking of the gown outfit, I can still get one, right? I mean, I'm not going to have to get my degree in the nip am I?*

Also, what are the chances of being allowed to wear a red ribbon? Slim? None?

*is aware he is adding to the "arts students are thick and lazy" cliche

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You just get the robes on the day, you don't need to book them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Then again, you'll have to pay €45 for non-prepaid bookings. I've prepaid for my robe online at www.phelanconan.com and that's only €43. But everyone will have to turn up early to the Student Centre on Monday at least one hour beforehand.

I've also prepaid for the graduation photographs with Lafayette Photography online at www.lafayette.ie

I don't think you'd be allowed to wear a red ribbon. They're very strict with the dress code.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Tayto2000

Chakar wrote: »
    I don't think you'd be allowed to wear a red ribbon. They're very strict with the dress code.

I'd just go for it and see what happens. I had a mate who graduated from Arts and just wore an Animal from the muppets T-shirt under the robe (With trousers etc of course!). No-one said a word...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Tayto2000 wrote: »
    I'd just go for it and see what happens. I had a mate who graduated from Arts and just wore an Animal from the muppets T-shirt under the robe (With trousers etc of course!). No-one said a word...

And the year I started in UCD, someone graduated in a Batman suit.

Advertisement