Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillies win and city shuts down...

• 10-11-2008 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

I was in Philadelphia when their team won the World Series and I had to laugh because they really like their melodrama! A small group of fans broke some windows and damaged a small statue outside of a theatre. There was no looting or burning but a couple of cars were overturned by people streaming out of the locals bars. So is this really anything different from what we get on an average weekend night in Dublin!?! There's zero tolerance over here for public drunkenness and the police take it to comical lengths sometimes (arrested two mates who were pushing a trolley they found around an empty car park!!) but seeing how safe and peaceful nights out are in America, maybe we should consider the same!?!

Anyone else here attend a sports event in America and be amazed at how calm and relaxed (non-Irish) people are?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

Demonstrations that get out of hand are not remotely tolerated by most Americans. Keeping the peace is one of the major priorities the police have in the States. The police have at their disposal all manner of 'less than lethal' options from tear gas to pepper spray to tasers to bean bag and rubber bullets etc. for a reason. It is not legal to be drunk in public in many places. Some cities have noise ordinances. You get the idea.

The Irish passion for tomfoolery is well known in America. Americans, in general, take things a bit more seriously. Call it the protestant work ethic or civility, or what have you. But I have seen some stuff here in Ireland happen that would have got some people shot back home in Texas. And, truthfully, if you ask me, I think some people in Ireland need a good shooting, ;)

While Americans sometimes take themselves too seriously, as an outsider, it appears to me that Ireland doesn't take itself seriously at all much of the time.

WYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

Well TBH can you blame then. It was the cities first championship since 1983.Since then they've had to endure the horrors of the Eagles and Sixers losing in the Superbowl and NBA Finals respectively so it comes as no surprise to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Give them a break They're WORLD CHAMPIONS of an american sport nobody likes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭wyk

beerbaron wrote: »

You put a team together and compete, and then mebbe you can complain about the world champion part. There are over 100 countries that play baseball. Many of which are in the European leagues.

WYK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Sea Devils

beerbaron wrote: »

And yet the amount of international players playing in MLB is almost as greater as the NBA...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Counting Canadians, I'd say the MLB has the highest proportion of non-US players of any North American league (except the ol' enn-aych-ell, obviously).

Advertisement