Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Module Option question

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I'm in first year and had to pick a module out of around 20 from Science to gain my final 5 credits, the one I picked was How the earth works and I don't like it one bit and will probably fail it. When registration opens again for semester 2 can I sign up to a different option for semester 2 from the list and use it for the 5 credits I need? Also if can't and I do fail the Geology module, what happens then is it just that I resit the exam in May?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

betafrog wrote: »
    Either ways its going to cost you money, its cheaper if you fail as you just pay the resit/repeat fee which is around the 220 mark... If you pick another subject you have to pay the full fee for that Module which is usually around 350
    But I find I can't get a grasp of the module and would have trouble passing it even in a resit. I'm going to give it my best for the Semester 1 test. So you think i'll be able to register for a different choice for my option for semester 2 once I pay the fee for the extra subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If you fail outright, and it's an elective, then yes, you can take 2 electives next semester (paying for the extra one) and make up the credits that way. Don't presume you're going to fail at this stage though, there's plenty of time left and you only need 35% if you do well in your other modules. It's generally easier to pass a subject in college than it is for the Leaving Cert., although harder to get top marks. Put in a bit of work between now and the exam and you may well surprise yourself, you wouldn't be the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Breezer wrote: »
    If you fail outright, and it's an elective, then yes, you can take 2 electives next semester (paying for the extra one) and make up the credits that way. Don't presume you're going to fail at this stage though, there's plenty of time left and you only need 35% if you do well in your other modules. It's generally easier to pass a subject in college than it is for the Leaving Cert., although harder to get top marks. Put in a bit of work between now and the exam and you may well surprise yourself, you wouldn't be the first.
    Its not an elective tho its an Option subject that I had to pick from a list of say 15-20 from Science, do you think i'll be able to take a different option in semester 2 and pay for it? Thanks for all yer help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

conor563 wrote: »
    Its not an elective tho its an Option subject that I had to pick from a list of say 15-20 from Science, do you think i'll be able to take a different option in semester 2 and pay for it? Thanks for all yer help.
    To my knowledge yes, but as always check with your programme office, they're the authority on all this kind of thing.

Advertisement