Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone care to comment on an Opel Astra engine breakdown?

• 10-11-2008 1:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

So there I was coming home for the weekend, when I hear a crumpling sound followed by gradual slowdown of car. I stopped it on the hard shoulder and rang AA. When the guy arrived, he tried the engine and said "Doesn't sound too good now". After getting me home he opened the bonnet and showed me a load of oil all over the engine, saying "Engine'e gone".

It's with the AA guy's garage overnight, hopefully I'll know exactly what happened tomorrow - its just out of warranty so I doubt the original garage will do anything for me. Its a 2005 Opel Astra with about 49,000 miles on it - any point in going to Opel and seeing what they say?

Bit tired now after all the hullabaloo, if anyone has any comments whatsoever, feel free to leave them (e.g. how to approach insurance company, what steps/options do I have next, that sort of thing) - I'm not sure what's best way to proceed with this as the like of it has never happened me before and I'm not that crazy about goin to bed with thoughts of having to fork out a lump of money to get a completely new engine in it...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

You insurance company will not pay out because of engine failure. If you have serviced the car with a main Opel dealer on scheduled service interval perhaps they might show some goodwill in a cheap repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Sorry to hear about your misfortune..
    if there is oil all over the engine that means there most likely is no oil in the engine.
    Was the oil filler cap left open? or any work done on the car in the last few days? if so it could be related to either or could be related to something totally different...sometimes putting in an new engine costs less than spending alot of money paying the main dealers trying find out whats wrong!!
    What engine is in your car? 1.4 i,1.6 i or 1.7 or 20 Diesel?
    Row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Its the 1.4 petrol - off to see now what exactly happened it - no work done recently, bar the servicing I took it in for about 2 months ago...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Get the details as there is no point in us guessing what happened!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    You insurance company will not pay out because of engine failure. If you have serviced the car with a main Opel dealer on scheduled service interval perhaps they might show some goodwill in a cheap repair.

An old boss of mine claimed for accidental damage off his insurance when a conron weht through the block of his car and they gave him a contribution towared a new engine. OP I take it the car is outside warranty. If it has been serviced exclusively and on time by opel dealers then they may contribute to repairs on the car. If it was only serviced 2mths ago then it really shouldn't have run too low on oil.

If not (and speaking from experience) then you're best taking the car to a mechanic you know and trust. He will advise looking for a new engine (replacement from a scrapyard). You should find an engine easily enough for your car. I paid 700euro for an engine and 1000 for the fitting when my car blew to give you a ballpark figure.

• Advertisement

Just spoke to AA's garage, apparently an oil relief valve or something blew out and flooded engine with oil and so I need a new one.

Insurance won't pay out for mechanical failure, so it looks like I'm screwed - I still have about 5 grand of a BOI car loan to pay off on the damn thing.

Anyone any pointers? The garage says he can ring around to get a quote for a replacement engine - is this the best way forward? Or is ringing Opel worth a shot - as I said before, car is just gone 3 yrs old, has about as 49000 miles on it - I have no idea how much a new engine costs, but it sounds like it may not be worth my while.

Feelin pretty buggered now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

New engine @ 49k miles! Jesus..:eek:

Savman wrote: »
    New engine @ 49k miles! Jesus..:eek:

Seems that way - spoke to guys in Bray I bought car off a year ago, they reckoned I should get local Opel garage to look at it, coz AA's garage may not be right.

Thought there was 3 year warranty on Opels, but its actually 2, which doesn't give a lot of comfort - either way, its out of warranty with Opel and with garage I bought it off.

Looks like christmas just got cancelled...

redtom wrote: »

Anyone any pointers? The garage says he can ring around to get a quote for a replacement engine - is this the best way forward? Or is ringing Opel worth a shot - as I said before, car is just gone 3 yrs old, has about as 49000 miles on it - I have no idea how much a new engine costs, but it sounds like it may not be worth my while.

Feelin pretty buggered now...

Feelin pretty sorry for you, like I said I was in the same situation before.

The wat I see it you have 3 options:

1. If your car has a full Opel dervice history you could appeal to Opel Ireland on the basis that your car was well maintained by their technicians and failed from what looks like a defect with the car. I have heard that they will sometimes offer a goodwill gesture (like covering the cost of parts etc). This is the only situation where it would be worth your while getting a brand new engine.

2. If #1 is not an option you could search a few scrappies for a used engine. For this you'll need the engine code for your car, get this off your reg cert or off the cars VIN plate. Find the scrappies in the yellow pages. If you or your mechanic find an engine try to see the car that it came out of so that you can see what mileage is on it. Most scrappies will offer a warranty for a few months but this will only cover your money back and not the cost of installation by your mechanic. I collected my replacement engine with a van - they will probably use a forklift to get it into your car. Then its up to your mechanic - get a written quote for the cost of replacement of the engine. Get the timing belt done on the replacement engine too. If your clutch is dodgy then get that done too as all this work is easy to do when the engine is out. The major problem with this approach is that the replacement engine may not be any good and you won't know until its in the car.

3. Try to sell the car for whatever you could get for it. You will get completely shafted but it removes all the hassle. You could pick up an older car for whatever you get for your astra. This is a major pill to swallow but you would be cutting your loses.

Again sorry for the grimness of this post but its based on my own experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Seems that way - spoke to guys in Bray I bought car off a year ago, they reckoned I should get local Opel garage to look at it, coz AA's garage may not be right.

Thought there was 3 year warranty on Opels, but its actually 2, which doesn't give a lot of comfort - either way, its out of warranty with Opel and with garage I bought it off.

Looks like christmas just got cancelled...
    That is hard luck Redtom, I would give opel Ireland a call before you go any further.
    Explain your case, it will only cost you the price of a phone call.
    The think that I would be pushing on the call, if you are not getting any joy, is the bad publicity for an Opel engine failing @ 49k.
    Thats looks quite bad for Opel Ireland.......if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Ferris wrote: »
    Feelin pretty sorry for you, like I said I was in the same situation before.

The wat I see it you have 3 options:

1. If your car has a full Opel dervice history you could appeal to Opel Ireland on the basis that your car was well maintained by their technicians and failed from what looks like a defect with the car. I have heard that they will sometimes offer a goodwill gesture (like covering the cost of parts etc). This is the only situation where it would be worth your while getting a brand new engine.
    +1

Have found Opel Ireland very accomodating numerous times in the past. However they did stress their accomodation was based on the fact the car had a full Opel dealer service history

Anyone got a number for Opel Ireland? All I can find on their site is an email form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fron Google: Opel Ireland Ltd, Opel House, Heather Road, Sandyford Ind Est, Dublin 18, 353 1 2161000, 353 1 2959833

Thanks

No probs, hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Anyone got a number for Opel Ireland? All I can find on their site is an email form.

01 216 1000.

You are probably better to get it in to an Opel dealer and get them to contact Opel.

If you are anywhere near, try to get it recovered to Sandyford Opel - just down the road from Opel Ireland.

R.O.R wrote: »
    01 216 1000.

You are probably better to get it in to an Opel dealer and get them to contact Opel.

If you are anywhere near, try to get it recovered to Sandyford Opel - just down the road from Opel Ireland.

Just don't be tempted to pay opel to replace the engine if they aren't going to give you money off the real parts. An engine swap will take over 10hrs so at 150euro an hour thats 1.5k just for the labour - add in consumables and VAT and you'd be well over the 2k mark + the cost of the engine.

when was it last serviced?

49K is pretty crazy for an engine to go kaput at

Just don't be tempted to pay opel to replace the engine if they aren't going to give you money off the real parts. An engine swap will take over 10hrs so at 150euro an hour thats 1.5k just for the labour - add in consumables and VAT and you'd be well over the 2k mark + the cost of the engine.

if 2k is the figure then it could be worth checkin up how much it would be to recondition the engine.

What about IVI engines - they specifically fit engines, i had one done a few years ago and it was done in the same day

if 2k is the figure then it could be worth checkin up how much it would be to recondition the engine.

What about IVI engines - they specifically fit engines, i had one done a few years ago and it was done in the same day

Thats a guess for the labour cost of an engine swap in a main dealer. The engine would be extra. It would be very rare to get a modern engine reconditioned unless the car is very rare. Its cheaper to find a 2nd hand unit from a scrappie.

• Advertisement

when was it last serviced?

49K is pretty crazy for an engine to go kaput at

It was last serviced about 2 months ago at Advance Pitstop in Letterkenny (I moved back here at end of summer) - that's first time I serviced it, not sure if it has an Opel service history before that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

It was last serviced about 2 months ago at Advance Pitstop in Letterkenny (I moved back here at end of summer) - that's first time I serviced it, not sure if it has an Opel service history before that

Advance pitstop .. interesting .. what exactly did they do in the service.. might be worth getting the car checked out to see why this happened

Advance Pitstop did a full service (€180), it says on the sheet here that they (among other things) replaced engine oil filter and replaced the engine oil. Should I pass this sheet on to the Opel guys taking a look at it now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Not the first time I heard of an opel astra engine dying. The older astras in the 90s were noted for it.

Advance Pitstop did a full service (€180), it says on the sheet here that they (among other things) replaced engine oil filter and replaced the engine oil. Should I pass this sheet on to the Opel guys taking a look at it now?

They'll definitely want to see that. The good will might diminish when they see that unfortunatley :(

Just seen from other Opel/Vauxhall owners clubs that it looks like Vauxhall/opel/Saab are to be sold with Vauxhall factories to close in the UK.

excuse my ignorance but what the hell would cause the engine to do that?
    too much oil (ie too much pressure) too little?
    An unlucky lemon of an engine?
    ideas....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any warning lights when it happened. If wen it started to fire out its oil, you stopped quickly, the engine would have survived Im sure.

Did the AA man start it up without checking under the bonnet?

No warning lights at all - first thing I heard was a sort of crumpling sound, so brought car to immediate stop on hard shoulder, then saw a load of steam/smoke coming from bonnet so figured that was it, seein as I know SFA about cars.

Was waiting for AA guy for about an hr and a half in the middle of nowhere with me mobile battery dead too and no charger (lucky some guy stopped and allowed me the use of his phone) - AA guy tried to start it when he arrived (weather was atrocious, thunder, lightning, frickin hailstones, etc... couldn't look at it there and then) and immediately said "doesn't sound good". So he got me home and then popped the hood and showed me a load of oil all over everything.

If it didn't look like it was gonna cost me a pretty penny to sort out, I'd laugh...

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    Any warning lights when it happened. If wen it started to fire out its oil, you stopped quickly, the engine would have survived Im sure.

Did the AA man start it up without checking under the bonnet?

Re-read the OP
    ...when I hear a crumpling sound followed by gradual slowdown of car.

Thats textbook engine siezing/failure, exactly what happened to me. The crumpling sound was probably the conrods snapping/busting out of the block.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

furtzy wrote: »
    Just seen from other Opel/Vauxhall owners clubs that it looks like Vauxhall/opel/Saab are to be sold with Vauxhall factories to close in the UK.
    They are part of GM who has a very uncertain future. However, not really relevant to the OPs issue.

Just heard from the Opel garage - they've found a crack in the engine block and so I need to replace the whole thing. They'll need to dismantle the thing to find exact cause, but suggested the conrod going through it as a possible culprit.

They've told me a brand new engine would cost around 1800, plus day and a half labour, whole thing approx €2200 to fix. Could do without it, but you live and learn.

Any point approaching insurance for accidental damage claim? I told garage to ring Opel as well to see if they're any help, seein as it's only a 3 yr old car. The garage said they'd never seen this before in such a young car.

Just my luck - hey, Santa, see you next year instead!

Just heard from the Opel garage - they've found a crack in the engine block and so I need to replace the whole thing. They'll need to dismantle the thing to find exact cause, but suggested the conrod going through it as a possible culprit.

They've told me a brand new engine would cost around 1800, plus day and a half labour, whole thing approx €2200 to fix. Could do without it, but you live and learn.

Any point approaching insurance for accidental damage claim? I told garage to ring Opel as well to see if they're any help, seein as it's only a 3 yr old car. The garage said they'd never seen this before in such a young car.

1st thing = who is gonna pay for it to be dismantled "to find the culprit"? No point in doin it when the engine is a write off is there?

2nd Check around for an engine elsewhere - check IVI engines in particular, check online from UK scrap yards - loads of their scrap yards are online.

3rd - Insurance - why not ring em no harm

4th If Opel say they have never heard of this happenin such a young engine then they should be knockin off some money for this to keep customers (plural) happy. As you will be tellin all your friends about the Opel you bought that time and the engine went bang and it was only new and Opel didnt help at all. And then there is us online - would really put me off that particular car

EDIT TO ADD:
    Its thing like this that will push people away from manufacturers who arent offering the huge warranties that the Koreans and Japanese are. Go get the head guy in that garage and tell him next time you`ll but a *insert manufacturer with lenghty warranty* and that you`ll be telling all your friends about it and also posting it on the internet.

I think they meant more that they'd find the cause upon taking the engine out, rather than spendin any time trying to figure out what happened - end of the day, the engine's knackered, so I just have to get a new one.

I'd be more inclined to get a brand new one fitted as I wouldn't know the history of a car a second-hand engine came from.

Will see what sort of word comes back from Opel...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Only 2.2k for a new engine?! damn it, i need to pay 1.1k for cat to mine car...

I thought it will be atleast 4-5k. But still m8, sorry to hear that, its like a nail to man's soul when car brakes down on you like this :(

• Advertisement

OP - I wouldn't be giving up on a contribution from Opel anything like as easily as you seem to be.

kbannon wrote: »
    They are part of GM who has a very uncertain future. However, not really relevant to the OPs issue.

Thought it would be relevant as their goodwill may be in short supply at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Only 2.2k for a new engine?! damn it, i need to pay 1.1k for cat to mine car...

I thought it will be atleast 4-5k. But still m8, sorry to hear that, its like a nail to man's soul when car brakes down on you like this :(

OP 1800k for a brand new engine seems pretty good, when i was enquiring for brand new engine from Rover Dealership they said to me that a brand new engine for Rover 45 costs 6000 euro.
    Which is too much for me.

Now i dont think that you should pay the full price for the new engine, i think that they should at least pay 50% of the price of a new engine.

Anan1 wrote: »
    OP - I wouldn't be giving up on a contribution from Opel anything like as easily as you seem to be.

Yeah, I suppose I'm just suffering from a bout of "gotta deal with big faceless corporation" syndrome. I tried the number someone left me here yesterday but it just rang out - just hate the trying to get a hold of someone merry-go-round.

I wouldn't know best way to approach them either as I didn't buy car directly from them, but from a dealer in Bray (not an Opel dealer), so I've never actually dealt with Opel before. The garage its at now is just the local Opel dealer, so no point in getting into arguments with them. I've asked them to ring Opel see if they can get a response. If there's nothing forthcoming, I'll ask them for the Opel number they use, and then test the waters myself.

Yeah, I suppose I'm just suffering from a bout of "gotta deal with big faceless corporation" syndrome. I tried the number someone left me here yesterday but it just rang out - just hate the trying to get a hold of someone merry-go-round.

I wouldn't know best way to approach them either as I didn't buy car directly from them, but from a dealer in Bray (not an Opel dealer), so I've never actually dealt with Opel before. The garage its at now is just the local Opel dealer, so no point in getting into arguments with them. I've asked them to ring Opel see if they can get a response. If there's nothing forthcoming, I'll ask them for the Opel number they use, and then test the waters myself.

Nothing ventured nothing gained. For the sake of the price of a new engine I'd chance it. I've been the recipient of Opels goodwill on 3 seperate occasions. They paid for parts every time totalling around 1.5k. This was given because a) the low mileage when the fault occurred b) the full dealer service history of the car with all original parts and c) the willingness of the dealership to push the case

Yours falls into one of those categories with the low mileage so I'd say try your best and maybe persuade the dealership the cars now with to push it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

I had the same problem with my 00 Astra engine blew so hard it nearly caught fire except some bloody do-gooder passer by doused it with a fire extinguisher!
    Cost the bones of €2500 with my local mechanic and a second hand engine which are a bugger to source, took me nearly 3 months to find one.
    I know at least four other Astra owners who had the same problem they're notorious for it. I'll never buy an Opel again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭timbel

I feel your pain OP.

My 98 Astra blew 3 yrs ago, 75k on the clock. 2.3k for reconditioned engine fitted in dealership. Running fine now (as it was before). I shall be driving it into the ground after that unexpected outlay.

My brother-in-laws 00 Astra blew head gasket at 65k.

As Eamon said previously, wont be going Opel again - back to the Japanese, I think.

All fun and games, eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Your starting to scare me lads!
    Ive a 3 year old astra with 62k miles on it...

then again my dad had an 11 year old one up to last year with 80 or 90k (low mileage for such an old car although hes gone Jap now) on it and never a bother and a mate had a 10 year old one with no trouble so i guess they arent all bad

Are you sure that its a new engine that they are supplying? That seems very cheap for a new motor. Also €2200 - €1800 = €400 does no equal a day and a half of labour from an opel garage.

GET A WRITTEN QUOTE!!! That way you'll have some comeback if they say they had complications and it ended up costing more.

Other than that fitting a new engine is desirable as the car would be as good as new.

Are you sure that its a new engine that they are supplying? That seems very cheap for a new motor. Also €2200 - €1800 = €400 does no equal a day and a half of labour from an opel garage.

GET A WRITTEN QUOTE!!! That way you'll have some comeback if they say they had complications and it ended up costing more.

Other than that fitting a new engine is desirable as the car would be as good as new.

+1

labour rate from Opel is generally around €75 an hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭leex

Possibly just a short block or something.

I have a good story about Toyota. Wife's 1.6 VVTi had the wellknown burning oil issue. Car was out of warranty by 6 months or more, car was purchased 2nd hand in a non toyota dealer. Toyota replaced the short block free of charge without a whole lot of pressure being applied on them. Was in for NCT a few months afterwards - I could see the undercar inspection taking a while longer than normal and was a bit worried. When I went to collect keys the tester said "Was there a new engine put in that car?". I told him the story - he said fair play to Toyota.

Written quote = €2370 for new engine fitted, parts and labour, and it comes with a 2 yr warranty. The local Opel dealer is going to see if he can push Opel on it. Can have it done by next wednesday, so just have to rejig the finances a bit now and see how I can come up with the dosh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭fm

had a renault traffic a few years ago and engine went after 60k,out of warranty so renault offered me a new "reconditioned" engine for 9000 euros and as a good will gesture 20% off that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Written quote = €2370 for new engine fitted, parts and labour, and it comes with a 2 yr warranty. The local Opel dealer is going to see if he can push Opel on it. Can have it done by next wednesday, so just have to rejig the finances a bit now and see how I can come up with the dosh...

It might not seem like it now, but that is very good news for you. (imo)
    Keep trying Opel and push as hard as you can. You don't ask, you don't receive.
    Anyway, look at the positive side. You have a qoute in writing and (to me) it seems very good for a new engine fitted with a 2 year guarentee.
    At this point, this will actually help sell your car in 2 years time.
    It's a guarenteed for the next years of your motoring life with this car.
    The milage will be low on a 2 year old engine.

Unfortunately, yes you have to rejig the finances. I'm sure Opel will accomadate a finance package too.

best of Luck anyway Redtom.

• Advertisement
Advertisement