Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone care to comment on an Opel Astra engine breakdown?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Yeah, been thinking along those lines alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

redtom wrote: »
    Written quote = €2370 for new engine fitted, parts and labour, and it comes with a 2 yr warranty. The local Opel dealer is going to see if he can push Opel on it. Can have it done by next wednesday, so just have to rejig the finances a bit now and see how I can come up with the dosh...

Thats cheap to have a new engine fitted tbh. I wouldn't want to try that with a bmw.

Agree with the other posts about getting opel to contribute towards repairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Ferris wrote: »
    Thats cheap to have a new engine fitted tbh. I wouldn't want to try that with a bmw.

Agree with the other posts about getting opel to contribute towards repairs.

Maybe his "new engine" is something different to my "new engine" - what should I be asking him to make sure its all above board, something like "Is it the entire engine or just the main block"? I know nothing about these things.

For what its worth he said a second hand replacement would cost €1680.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Am i alone here in thinking that a quick word with a solictor would do no harm.I mean thats very low mileage for an engine and is well within its acceptable lifespan of an engine.of course you may need to find out its service history but the pressure relief valve shouldnt blow and if it hasnt been tampered with then it is faulty.Warranty or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

A good lump of this should be covered under goodwill - defo the parts anyway. I work for a fleet management company so we do get a lot of similar problems like this (somethin goes wrong + car is just out of warranty) One of sister dealers is an opel branch - they're usually very good with this kind of thing. I would push for a lot of the work to be covered under goodwill from opel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sorry to bring this thread up again but those prices for 2nd hand engines sound very expensive.My 99 Astra engine (100k miles) blew today, oil all over the place.Piston went through it and made a nice hole underneath.The garage managed to source another 99 1.4 for €500 (70k miles) and am going to get the timing belt , filter etc done too.Total is €1100 including fitting.

I thought I was very expensive until I read this thread!!!! Feel good now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

carbsy wrote: »
    Sorry to bring this thread up again but those prices for 2nd hand engines sound very expensive.My 99 Astra engine (100k miles) blew today, oil all over the place.Piston went through it and made a nice hole underneath.The garage managed to source another 99 1.4 for €500 (70k miles) and am going to get the timing belt , filter etc done too.Total is €1100 including fitting.

I thought I was very expensive until I read this thread!!!! Feel good now. :)

You would buy a new 99 astra for that price, like this http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/200922192911178/advert?channel=CARS

Vain wrote: »
    You would buy a new 99 astra for that price, like this http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Astra/200922192911178/advert?channel=CARS

That's €400 more.Also, I've had a new alternator & fuel pump fitted a few months ago.I weighed everything up and thought I wouldn't get a better car than I have for €1100 so went for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

carbsy wrote: »
    That's €400 more.Also, I've had a new alternator & fuel pump fitted a few months ago.I weighed everything up and thought I wouldn't get a better car than I have for €1100 so went for it.

You could of sold the other astra for parts. Do you get a guarantee with the second hand engine they put in your astra?

• Advertisement

Vain wrote: »
    You could of sold the other astra for parts. Do you get a guarantee with the second hand engine they put in your astra?

I'll make sure I do.It only happened today so the work won't be carried out until next week. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

Fleabay, dodgy I know, and there would be shipping from UK too, but as a ballpark there is a 1.4 Astra Petrol (Z14XEP) with 18,000 miles on sale at 600 sterling. Add the shipping and work done locally and you might come in at 1,500. Saving over the initial Opel quote but no warranty and all that (ebay search for Z14XEP).

Presure your dealer, reason they want to strip it is to find out what went wrong. Shouldn't happen at 49k, Opel should make a contribution.

Advertisement