Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J-1 question

• 10-11-2008 1:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hi,

I am a mature student just started back in Trinity. I'm interested in going to the states on the j-1 visa next summer and have a couple of questions which I couldn't see a straight answer for on the usit or us embassy website.

1. As I am 29 and a mature student, am I still eligible to apply or is there some age limit?

2. Can my wife travel with me (she's not a student but I saw something about a j-2 visa for family member). Would she be able to work there?

With the crappy weather we've had all year, the thought of going to San Francisco or New York next summer is looking very appealing!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lovepink_xo

Hi,

I am a mature student just started back in Trinity. I'm interested in going to the states on the j-1 visa next summer and have a couple of questions which I couldn't see a straight answer for on the usit or us embassy website.

1. As I am 29 and a mature student, am I still eligible to apply or is there some age limit?

2. Can my wife travel with me (she's not a student but I saw something about a j-2 visa for family member). Would she be able to work there?

With the crappy weather we've had all year, the thought of going to San Francisco or New York next summer is looking very appealing!

maybe someone can correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure there is no age limit as long as you are in full time studies. im not sure about bringing your wife but if she has secondary school education and/or some kind of college course that she did for at least a year she could apply for that new 1 year visa? also you should know san francisco doesnt have good weather in summer, they dont get summer weather until september/october. june/july/august can be pretty chilly over there with lots of fog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

You can also just go on a holiday in America for up to 90 days which will definitely cover the entire summer! And if she books now she will probably get a very good deal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

also you should know san francisco doesnt have good weather in summer, they dont get summer weather until september/october. june/july/august can be pretty chilly over there with lots of fog

it has good weather not great, spent a summer there in 2006! it never rains but can be a bit windy and over cast during June and July, August is absolutely lovely. if an irish summer day is a 5 on average, SF is 7/10 on average. i got very badly burned in June along with 2 others when biking the bridge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭lovepink_xo

blow69 wrote: »
    You can also just go on a holiday in America for up to 90 days which will definitely cover the entire summer! And if she books now she will probably get a very good deal!

yeah but they are not allowed work if they go under this and the OP asked about his wife working over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SaintHubbins

Thanks for the replies. I'll contact Usit to find out for sure about the J-2 thing. Even if she can't work it'll be a bit of craic going out there for the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Thanks for the replies. I'll contact Usit to find out for sure about the J-2 thing. Even if she can't work it'll be a bit of craic going out there for the summer.

http://faq.visapro.com/J2-Visa-FAQ3.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bostonmary

HI TO EVERYONE

I know boards are down so I have no new topic button and have to use this one........ as this thread is old but similar I have choosen this one hopefully someone will know the answer

******2016****** all the rules have changed.... on the american website and even using their one net search it clearly says the types of work NOT ALLOWED on a j-1 visa and in other searchEs they match the information.... however today I called usit in Dublin, got a guy with poor English that almost drove me insane and he told me you can do a lot of the jobs but they conflict with the embassy information

Im not on for night life or anything like that and Im not a theme park person... the thoughts of wandering around in 40c in a heavy costume does not trill me at all..... Has any as a MATURE STUDENT done florida and if so where would they advise to try for work in down town Tampa.... I have close friends there hense my reason for Fl , but as it is temp work they are not at all in the know.

I have a long very long back ground in health care and I have paper but if I go by the embassy page I am not allowed to work in this area in any manner shape make nor form yet the guy in usit said yes i can if the kids are over 6 years old...

I would not have the patience for working in bars and so I am wondering would anyone have any hints in directions I can try Please.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 bostonmary

I have to do another post as boards cut me off telling me it is a duplicate???? to finish my question... can you do 3 states in the 3 months??? has anyone ever tried this?? He said you can have as many jobs as you like but to call up a number he gave to make them aware first, I don't want to make a complete and utter hames of the entire thing so If anyone can help out it would be very much appreciated. Im ok with the min wage in Fl with is almost on par with the min wage here and the cost of living in FL is low so its ok by min and im not into anything fancy nancy

with many many thanks in advance

Advertisement