Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRISH STEW

• 10-11-2008 3:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

The quintessential Irish dish, Irish stew can provoke heated discussion among people in Ireland about its ingredients. They do vary a lot from recipe to recipe, but all are agreed that the meat is always lamb (or mutton) and there must be onions and potatoes.
    There is also general agreement that if you use beef, add Guinness or, horror of horrors, whiskey, it is something else - call it what you will, but don't call it Irish stew!
    After that things diverge. Most people say that carrots are a must (I am one of them), others also add one or more of peas, turnip, parsnip or celery. The real purist will insist it must also contain pearl barley, but this would not be common nowadays at least.
    irish-stew.jpg
    The meat used is not the best cuts of lamb, but the cheaper ones. This was the food of the ordinary, poor, people and those are the only cuts they would have had available. In fact originally it would have been mutton, but there is no butcher I know who will admit to selling mutton these days. In any case these cuts are more flavourful, and the long, slow cooking time means that the meat is meltingly tender in the final dish.
    The image above was taken of our dinner this evening, and the recipe below is the one used to make it. And very delicious it was too!
    Ingredients

The lamb bone is optional, but does add a lot of flavour. It also adds fat, so if you use it you will need to de-fat the cooking liquid before you serve the stew, see below for details.
    For the stock, chicken or vegetable will do, lamb is ideal. If you are using stock cubes rather than home-made stock, leave out the salt when seasoning - they tend to be very high in salt already.
    • 1 lb lamb shoulder, cut into cubes
    • 3 medium or 4 large potatoes
    • 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
    • 2 large carrots, cut into quite thick pieces
    • 3 cups stock
    • Small knob of butter
    • Fresh parsley
    • 2 Bay leaves
    • Sprig of Thyme
    • 1 lamb bone, the larger the better
    • Salt and pepper
    You will need a large casserole dish with a tight fitting lid. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC/Gas Mark 5).
    Makes enough for 3-4 people for a light meal. Serve with fresh bread rolls to mop up the delicious juice.
    Method

Melt the butter in a pan over a fairly high temperature and fry the meat until it is browned all over, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to the casserole. Fry the onions on the same pan for about a minute or two, remove them to the casserole just before they start to brown.
    Pour half the stock into the pan, turn the heat up as high as it will go and scrape the pan as the stock boils to get all the meat juices. Pour both portions of stock over the meat and onions, add the bay leaves, the thyme and the lamb bone. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cover and put in the oven for about 45 minutes to one hour.
    Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut medium sized potatoes into three pieces, large ones into 4 or 5 pieces.
    Remove the stew from the oven. Add the carrots, mixing them in well with the meat, then lay the potatoes over the top of the stew. Return to the oven and cook for another 45 minutes or so - check whether it is done by testing if the potatoes are cooked through.
    Note that the sauce is not thickened. There are two ways people deal with this delicious liquid on their dinner plate - some people mash some of the potato into it to thicken it, others leave it till the end and then mop it up with some bread.
    Before serving, remove and discard the bone, the thyme and the bay leaves. Pour off the cooking liquid and leave to stand for a few minutes. This will bring the fat to the top and allow you to remove it.
    I do this by putting it in a bowl and laying double sheets of kitchen paper gently on the surface. They soak up the fat very well. It may take 3-4 goes to get it all away, depending on how fatty the bone was.
    Return the defatted liquid to the stew, mix the potatoes into the rest of the stew and stir in a handful of roughly chopped parsley. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes.

enjoy it's the right weather for it.. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It certainly is the right weather for it. I love eating stew with the wind howling outside, and rain pelting against the window.

I agree with you on the carrots: definitely a must. My boyfriend differs with me though; he says that real Irish stew doesn't contain carrots. Each to their own. I also don't agree with adding other root vegetables to the mix.

I think I might be alone in this, but I prefer stew with mashed potatoes and then the rest of the stew mix poured on top. Then mix the whole thing together on the plate, with a splash of milk to cool it down. Mmmm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I think its silly to say you can only use one type of meat or its not stew. What does it matter if you put Irish in front of it or not? whether lamb or mutton or beef or goat was used would depend on the farming background of the community.

I use beef, and was thinking of making some stew later in the week with some round or maybe something cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 chefsden

I think its silly to say you can only use one type of meat or its not stew. What does it matter if you put Irish in front of it or not? whether lamb or mutton or beef or goat was used would depend on the farming background of the community.

I use beef, and was thinking of making some stew later in the week with some round or maybe something cheaper?

i most say that i have made stew with all kinds of second class cut meat's and shins and shanks, and yes stew is a stew in the end off the day all different countrys have their versions of thier peasent food dishes. but from a culinary term an Irish stew is classicly made from mutton and it's printed in all culinary and recipe books all over the world. but i most say that only in dublin that a cut as cheap as a dublin coddle's ingredients from a breakfast roll can go in to a stew...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

brianthebard, and other posters: this very same argument has been done to death in a previous thread.

The upshot is this. If it's a stew made with beef, it's beef stew. If it's a stew made with pork, it's pork stew. If it's a stew made with chicken, it's chicken stew. If it's a stew made with sheeps, it's Irish stew.

Yet still, plenty of Irish people don't agree, because their mother made beef stew every Tuesday and she was Irish, QED...

brianthebard, and other posters: this very same argument has been done to death in a previous thread.

The upshot is this. If it's a stew made with beef, it's beef stew. If it's a stew made with pork, it's pork stew. If it's a stew made with chicken, it's chicken stew. If it's a stew made with sheeps, it's Irish stew.

Yet still, plenty of Irish people don't agree, because their mother made beef stew every Tuesday and she was Irish, QED...

nice one:) but it's actually good to re-educated poeple from the text book some time..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use beef, and always add a handful of barley. In my opinion it's not a stew without barley.
    I leave out the barley if I'm cooking it in the oven, because then I call it casserole.
    Threads like this just go to show that stew is a very individual thing and varies form family to family.
    I agree that unless it's made with lamb it's not strictly speaking Irish Stew, but I've just never liked it.

i love barley in my vegetable soup country chunky style. greeeeatttt:D

in stews are nice too. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

chefsden, if you're going to reproduce recipes from another site at least credit them with a link. Same with any other recipes you post.

chefsden wrote: »
    The quintessential Irish dish, Irish stew can provoke heated discussion among people in Ireland about its ingredients. They do vary a lot from recipe to recipe, but all are agreed that the meat is always lamb (or mutton) and there must be onions and potatoes.
    There is also general agreement that if you use beef, add Guinness or, horror of horrors, whiskey, it is something else - call it what you will, but don't call it Irish stew!
    After that things diverge. Most people say that carrots are a must (I am one of them), others also add one or more of peas, turnip, parsnip or celery. The real purist will insist it must also contain pearl barley, but this would not be common nowadays at least.
    irish-stew.jpg
    The meat used is not the best cuts of lamb, but the cheaper ones. This was the food of the ordinary, poor, people and those are the only cuts they would have had available. In fact originally it would have been mutton, but there is no butcher I know who will admit to selling mutton these days. In any case these cuts are more flavourful, and the long, slow cooking time means that the meat is meltingly tender in the final dish.
    The image above was taken of our dinner this evening, and the recipe below is the one used to make it. And very delicious it was too!
    Ingredients

The lamb bone is optional, but does add a lot of flavour. It also adds fat, so if you use it you will need to de-fat the cooking liquid before you serve the stew, see below for details.
    For the stock, chicken or vegetable will do, lamb is ideal. If you are using stock cubes rather than home-made stock, leave out the salt when seasoning - they tend to be very high in salt already.
    • 1 lb lamb shoulder, cut into cubes
    • 3 medium or 4 large potatoes
    • 2 medium onions, roughly chopped
    • 2 large carrots, cut into quite thick pieces
    • 3 cups stock
    • Small knob of butter
    • Fresh parsley
    • 2 Bay leaves
    • Sprig of Thyme
    • 1 lamb bone, the larger the better
    • Salt and pepper
    You will need a large casserole dish with a tight fitting lid. Preheat the oven to 375ºF (190ºC/Gas Mark 5).
    Makes enough for 3-4 people for a light meal. Serve with fresh bread rolls to mop up the delicious juice.
    Method

Melt the butter in a pan over a fairly high temperature and fry the meat until it is browned all over, about 3-5 minutes. Transfer to the casserole. Fry the onions on the same pan for about a minute or two, remove them to the casserole just before they start to brown.
    Pour half the stock into the pan, turn the heat up as high as it will go and scrape the pan as the stock boils to get all the meat juices. Pour both portions of stock over the meat and onions, add the bay leaves, the thyme and the lamb bone. Season with a little salt and pepper. Cover and put in the oven for about 45 minutes to one hour.
    Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut medium sized potatoes into three pieces, large ones into 4 or 5 pieces.
    Remove the stew from the oven. Add the carrots, mixing them in well with the meat, then lay the potatoes over the top of the stew. Return to the oven and cook for another 45 minutes or so - check whether it is done by testing if the potatoes are cooked through.
    Note that the sauce is not thickened. There are two ways people deal with this delicious liquid on their dinner plate - some people mash some of the potato into it to thicken it, others leave it till the end and then mop it up with some bread.
    Before serving, remove and discard the bone, the thyme and the bay leaves. Pour off the cooking liquid and leave to stand for a few minutes. This will bring the fat to the top and allow you to remove it.
    I do this by putting it in a bowl and laying double sheets of kitchen paper gently on the surface. They soak up the fat very well. It may take 3-4 goes to get it all away, depending on how fatty the bone was.
    Return the defatted liquid to the stew, mix the potatoes into the rest of the stew and stir in a handful of roughly chopped parsley. Return to the oven for about 10 minutes.

enjoy it's the right weather for it.. :D

Surced: http://www.dochara.com/eat/traditional/irish-stew.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

but all are agreed that the meat is always lamb (or mutton) and there must be onions and potatoes.
    The very fact there are threads like this would indicate people are not all agreed. Not sure why people focus so much solely on the meat either, when other ingredients are in question, which could make up a greater % of the dish
    must be onions and potatoes.
    Aard wrote: »
    I agree with you on the carrots: definitely a must. My boyfriend differs with me though; he says that real Irish stew doesn't contain carrots.

If it's a stew made with beef, it's beef stew. If it's a stew made with pork, it's pork stew. If it's a stew made with chicken, it's chicken stew. If it's a stew made with sheeps, it's Irish stew.
    Why not put an end to the confusion and call it sheep/lamb/mutton stew then? Seems people would not accept your idea of "Irish stew", i.e. if you have carrots you have one person or her BF disagreeing. Who is to say who is right? is there a legal definition or something.
    Yet still, plenty of Irish people don't agree, because their mother made beef stew every Tuesday and she was Irish, QED.
    And perhaps her granny and granny before her made it and called it irish stew too. Who is to say who is right or wrong.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_stew
    Irish stew (in Irish Stobhach Gaelach) is a traditional Irish dish made from lamb, beef or mutton
    Yep. I honestly do not see the big deal is. Sort of like saying "thats not a chicken burger, burgers have to be made from cows"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

chefsden, if you're going to reproduce recipes from another site at least credit them with a link. Same with any other recipes you post.

And while you're at it, don't bother quoting the whole (long) post just to add your link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

noby wrote: »
    And while you're at it, don't bother quoting the whole (long) post just to add your link.

I couldn't agree more it wreaks my head when people do this.

Advertisement