Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evolve

Options
  • 10-11-2008 3:06am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Caught this new series this evening on the history channel, first episode on the evolution of the eye. Very interesting stuff. Repeating next saturday at 8.00.

What use is half an eye (Or a load of photo-sensitive cells)? Ask the Jellyfish which can percieve 'colours' (or differentiate between different wavelenghts of light at any rate).
    It finds green (the colour of its home, the ocean floor) very relaxing, purple not so much

http://www.thehistorychannel.co.uk/site/tv_guide/full_details/World_history/programme_785.php

Skin is the next topic up next Sunday.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

thanks must try and catch this

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

marco_polo wrote:
    What use is half an eye .

Euglena is a SINGLE celled organism. It has an "eyespot" organelle and uses it to orientate itself to light.

Volvox and other green algae also have eyespots.

The ability to detect light is useful, I'd guess that some organisms can't event tell that there is more light from one side or the other but if they rotate as they move then they could still travel towards the light. For higher organisms the ability to detect rapid changes in light levels would be a signal to keep still in case there were moving predators around. Beyond that having better eyes than the neighbours would be no disadvantage.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Thanks Capt'n Midnight ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭0utpost31

But how did our eyes just "appear" out of nowhere like 5000 years ago.

Just kidding.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

The human eye ain't even all that, the Dragonfly has 28,999 more lenses. Sweet :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

This topic just about barely fits into the subject palaeontology as it is. If people persist in just using it as a means to crack jokes I may as well close it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If you're gonna close it, then move it to the Atheism & Agnosticism forum, as those lads love evolution, etc. :D I'll start a thread there otherwise

Looks (HAHAHAHA!!!) awesome, I hope it appears online at some point because I'm working on Saturday night :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thread moved to A&A with Dades' permission.

Should get a better response here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'll have to get it by some other means, I don't get History Channel. Sounds like a decent show though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

Galvasean wrote: »
    This topic just about barely fits into the subject palaeontology as it is. If people persist in just using it as a means to crack jokes I may as well close it.

:eek:

There's a palaeontology forum?!

*gone*

• Advertisement
Advertisement