Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dislocated shoulder surgery on the medical card blues

Options
  • 10-11-2008 5:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

hey folks,

My shoulder recently came out of the socket again ( road accident 2 years ago) and the doc at the Regional Hospital reckons I will probably need surgery. He described it 'as open surgery' and said it would result in a 'severe loss of mobility'. Doing a bit of research , I found that there is a less invasive option of surgery and considering he only gave my shoulder a cursory once over I'm wondering if I should ask some questions. I'm on my way to Merlin shortly .. I hate Merlin.

Anybody else out there have the surgery or a problem with a dislocated arm? What did you do? did physio work? I really should have exercised the arm when it happened I guess.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

I assume the less invasive surgery option you are talking about is Arthroscopy??? If your shoulder is too severely damaged this isn't an option, and in a lot of cases shoulder arthroscopies become open cases if things are proving tricky. Yes open surgery takes longer to heal but it will eventually heal, and some would argue that in the long run its a better repair.

Nowt wrong with Merlin. they do do Shoulder Arthroscopy there but this may not be an option for you, and the guy who examined you would actually have been able to tell this from the 'cursory glance he gave'. In fact when you do have the work doen they probably will start it as an arthroscopy and open if they have to. Theres actually two excellent shoulder surgeons in Galway so really you should count yourself lucky that

a) somebody so proficient will be looking after your shoulder, be it an open repair or otherwise

and

b)You can get the procedure done in Galway on your medical card without waiting too long

And surely once its healed it'll be nice to have a proper unsore working shoulder again???

Advertisement