Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Recommendations for me

• 10-11-2008 5:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Right I am gonna go looking for some new bands to get into but would like some recommendations from your goodselves based on the following

Favourite bands:
    Pantera
    Sepultura
    Machinehead
    Tool
    Dream theater
    Testiment
    Carcass
    Slayer
    Also,
    Metallica
    Nile
    Hammerfall
    Manowar (haha)
    GWAR (:p)

Favourite songs:
    Pantera - Domination
    Sepultura - Subtraction
    Machinehead - Blood of the zodiac
    Tool - Anaema
    Dream theater - Under a glass moon
    Testiment - Electric crown
    Carcass - Blood splattered banner
    Slayer - Seasons in the abyss

As you can see i really like a good solo and i prefer agression to speed ie i feel that bands like morbid angle etc with their blast beats and matching riffs are just too fast and the real crunch distortion is just not there.

I am also of the opinion that:
    Shadow fall - Their guitar distortion is horrible and ruins the riffs for me
    I love when the singer belts it out in Max Cavelara fashion
    I need good quick double bassdrum kicks

Any suggestions or gems you have been keeping to yourself that you would like to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

You seem to be going for more of a thrash sort of sound so I'd try these:
    Destruction,
    Desaster,
    Sabbat,
    Exhorder (widely regarded as the band that influenced Pantera the most)
    Annihilator's Alice in Hell,
    3 Inches of Blood,
    Forbidden,
    Kreator,
    Nevermore,
    Overkill,
    Demolition Hammer,
    Morbid Saint.

If you want to heavy it up a bit, without going overboard on blastbeats:
    Pestilence,
    Entombed,
    Bathory,
    Bloodbath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

I reckon you will like Enslaved - i am on a major Enslaved buzz at the moment, unbelievable band!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

Gojira

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Dude, I strongly recommend you check out the following

Unearth (The oncoming storm or 3 in the eyes of fire)
    Testament (First strike still deadly)
    Lamb Of God (Ashes of The Wake)
    Crowbar (Sonic excess in its purest form)
    Down (Nola)
    Machine Head (Everything except The Burning Red)

It depends on how heavy you want to go. You may end up being into altogther nuts **** like All Shall Perish

Pm me and I'll send you a few bits and pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

Well OP - your list of bands you like is remarkably similar to mine (except for one or 2 that I don't know) You may be interested to know Carcass are playing with Napalm Death in the UK on the 22nd of this month!! ( I saw them at Wacken this year in Germany - worth the trip - plus I saw other cool bands!) - I would suggest "Death" (Chuck Shuldners baby ;) One of my all time favourite bands - same vein as Death, Obituary - Obituary may be a no starter for you, but Death have some seriously great content.. musically & lyrically. Along the lines of Pantera there are Pi$$ing Razors & also skinlab (skinlab sound very sepultura oriented as well). Maybe give Amon Amarth a listen too they're pretty cool - only found out about them recently myself.And finally - another GWAR fan - theyre such a bunch of messers, most heads never get past the costumes and take the music seriously, which they should ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would recommend some Arch Enemy. As you know I'm sure, Michael Amott was in Carcass. Daniel Erlandsson is also an excellent drummer.

and some In Flames just because they're great and I didn't see them on your list :). They also have a fantastic drummer in Daniel Svensson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I've been listening to a lot of Corrosion of Conformity lately, you might like them.

Also try Amon Amarth and Fear Factory, start with Demanufacture for the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I agree with Demanufacture by Fear Factory, also The New Order by Testament and Sound Of White Noise by Anthrax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Lads, thank for the responses and i will definitely check out the bands here that i havent already.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

I listen to a good few of those bands myself and I can recommend a couple that you might like.

As someone else mentioned, Lamb of God. Only starting listening to them a few months ago but they are awesome. Going to see them support Metallica next July, sweet!

The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium. If you like Tool, I'd say you'd like this band and album. It's not that they sound anything like Tool, but they have a very unique sound with complex layers and structures that could appeal.

After that maybe Fear Factory, Machine Head, Korn (first 3 albums), Marilyn Manson (Antichrist Superstar).

Good luck finding some new music anyway. I love when I find a good band or album for the first time.

P.s. Someone else mentioned In Flames, you should defo check them out too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Testament-practice what you preach,great thrash album.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Hi OP

Some really great picks there. Personally I love Hammerfall. Have their six albums. At the weekend I went out and bought the new album from Gojira. They are a brilliant band, really like them. smackbunnybaby mentioned Enslaved. Awesome band. If you like your Black/Viking Metal then you will love Enslaved. Got their new album Vertebrae (10th studio album) and "Reflection" is an awesome track. Also check out Amon Amarth, another Viking Metal band. My fav of that genre. Thrash-wise, make sure you get your hands on some material from Testament. Truly amazing thrash band. Lead singer Chuck Billy back right now after being diagnosed with cancer and has made a full recovery.

Another thing would be to get yourself registered with www.last.fm. You build your own profile and your tracks are added to it. It also build comparisons to other bands you may be interested in and makes recommendations purely by reading what you have listened to (tracks are scrobbled and added to your library). I registered two months ago and love it. It really has made some terrific recommendations and added new bands that I now love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Baggio

and not a mention of RUSH on any list here?..tut tut chaps...mr.smith get yur head into RUSH and all will be well,,and youll also discover the 3 best players in the same band on the planet....rock on!!!!!

ps umm one day this country's rockers will awake and realise what they been missing over here for years! :)

ciao' amigos...Baggio.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

apoch632 wrote: »
    Gojira

Too right. Absolutely blew me away when I heard From Mars to Sirius. Well worth getting into them.

I'll throw in another recommendation for Amon Amarth too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Soulfly ldo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

Municipal Waste. PArty metal :D I'ts all about partying and drinking too much. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Jay P wrote: »
    Municipal Waste. PArty metal :D I'ts all about partying and drinking too much. Happy days.

They're playing in fibbers in a couple of weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Baggio wrote: »
    and not a mention of RUSH on any list here?..tut tut chaps...mr.smith get yur head into RUSH and all will be well,,and youll also discover the 3 best players in the same band on the planet....rock on!!!!!

Haha love rush tbh! Why cant the trees just get along?
    Soulfly ldo
    I dunno Duff, i think Max has gone past his sell by date tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Jay P wrote: »

Good recommendation. I youtubed them expecting some pile of **** like Andrew WK, good stuff though. I'm impressed.

Anything I wanted to add has already been mentioned.

Emm ... Soilwork maybe. Not trash but I quite like them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

As others have already mentioned;

Arch Enemy - Wages of Sin
    Gojira - any album
    Municipal Waste - The Art of Partying
    Lamb Of God - Ashes Of the Wake or As the Palaces Burn

and to add to it

Mastodon - any album
    Between the buried and me - Colours
    The Haunted - One Kill Wonder
    Meshuggah - Destroy, Erase, Improve
    Opeth - Blackwater Park

All great bands, check out their myspaces and/or youtube. You won't be dissappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

Annihalator's "Alison Hell" , probably the funniest video and song I've ever heard, and the sad thing was they were being serious....absolute rubbish altogether,

get thee some Anthrax "sound of white noise"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

BarryCreed wrote: »
    Annihalator's "Alison Hell" , probably the funniest video and song I've ever heard, and the sad thing was they were being serious....absolute rubbish altogether

The thing about Annihilator is you're never more than a few moments away from another hilarious lyric

You have to like the tunes though (kinda)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

based on that list (lots of 90s groove metal/chunky riffage ) with tool-esque leanings I'd say Kerbdog's first album (self titled) is essential listening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

A few more oldies that may appeal,
    Suicidal Tendencies - Lights Camera Revolution
    Sacred Reich - The American Way
    Xentrix - Kin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

A band I got into recently who immediately struck me with a Pantera vibe are Throwdown, I'm pretty sure you'll like some of their stuff.

(Ignore the rubbish at the start)
    Holy Roller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

I've been into Throwdown for a good while.

Venom And Tears is class if you let them away with the blatant Pantera rips (which I do)

Haymaker is pretty much your solid straight edge hardcore album, not as good but I like it. Apart from parts like "Raise your fists, drug free!"

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

Hmmm... you might like Cog, Catwitch, Superheist, Blood Duster, Frankenbok.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Angus MacGyver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,634 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Ill 3rd (or 4th???) Gojira. Fantastic band, and the singer does bear a lot of resemblances to Max vocally, so much that they ended up jamming together on another project

Anthrax are a band I have gotten into lately, and regret not getting into earlier. Absolutely brilliant, heavy as fcuk in places, but always remaining good fun.

• Advertisement

recently got " no more color" by Coroner and its brilliant:D

Advertisement