Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

OEM Vista Home Premium SP1 to Utimate SP1

• 10-11-2008 6:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I am trying to upgrade my OEM Vista HP SP1 to Ultimate SP1 using a Vista Ultimate disk I borrowed from my mate. What I plan to do is do an in place upgrade from HP to Ultimate by popping the disk in and NOT supplying a key, chosing my edition and once upgraded buy the key online as its quicker than ordering via the anytime upgrade.

Anyways, first attempt at this was that I had the disk in the wrong language, I am running the Norwegian version of Home Premium and want to swap it into English and you cant get the MUI packs without Ultimate. (yes I am aware of tools that change the OS language for you, but they cause problems with Windows Update and other issues on my system as I have tested). So I got the Norwegian version of the disk.

Next thing is that I cant upgrade because its a lower version (no SP1 applied) so I slipstream SP1 into it using vLite. Create the disk as an ISO and mount it to test again and again I am given the issue that its not a later version then the one on my disk.

Now my Home Premium installation is running with all current patches. So I am wondering do I have to slipstream all of the patches in? Or what is the actual deal here.

Or do I have to bite the bullet and get the anytime upgrade disk. I am worried that I will hit the same problem due to lower versions etc.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ginger wrote: »
    Hi folks

I am trying to upgrade my OEM Vista HP SP1 to Ultimate SP1 using a Vista Ultimate disk I borrowed from my mate. What I plan to do is do an in place upgrade from HP to Ultimate by popping the disk in and NOT supplying a key, chosing my edition and once upgraded buy the key online as its quicker than ordering via the anytime upgrade.

Anyways, first attempt at this was that I had the disk in the wrong language, I am running the Norwegian version of Home Premium and want to swap it into English and you cant get the MUI packs without Ultimate. (yes I am aware of tools that change the OS language for you, but they cause problems with Windows Update and other issues on my system as I have tested). So I got the Norwegian version of the disk.

Next thing is that I cant upgrade because its a lower version (no SP1 applied) so I slipstream SP1 into it using vLite. Create the disk as an ISO and mount it to test again and again I am given the issue that its not a later version then the one on my disk.

Now my Home Premium installation is running with all current patches. So I am wondering do I have to slipstream all of the patches in? Or what is the actual deal here.

Or do I have to bite the bullet and get the anytime upgrade disk. I am worried that I will hit the same problem due to lower versions etc.

Any ideas?
    We cant help you bypass an EULA. Sorry. Buy the Upgrade if you want it that badly. You should know that its looking more and more like Win7 will be out the door before the end of 2009 though. Best wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Its not a bypass.. its an upgrade method that can be used if you have a copy of Vista Ultimate as you still buy the licence key online post install rather than pre.

I checked this with the MS Licencing department and they said yes you can do this and I checked with one of the Vista guys at PDC on the same thing.

In that case, you have me lost as to your method. But im quite sleepy at this point. In the intervening hours before someone else finds this thread try googling around: might be some other thread out there on the interweb that already deals with it in detail.

Ok

Its a licenced copy of Vista Home Premium. You put in any vista disk and do an in place upgrade.

To do this, you either buy the key first (Anytime upgrade) or dont put in a key and choose your version. Then you select upgrade. It upgrades your existing version to the new version and then if you didnt put in the key you have 30 days to buy it otherwise its reduced functionality big time.

You buy the key, put it in, restart and Tada you have Vista (Insert edition here)

I would try backing up your data, formatting, and installing HPrem. Once Thats at desktop, run the upgrade disc. Once its upgrading, let Windows Update get you up to SP1.

• Advertisement

Thanks

Think that is the final plan really.. because its an Acer, SI version so no media, just a button on the desktop that says restore to factory settings...

Might have a whack at it and see if thats a goer for me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you are using a HP disk it may complain that it can't see a HP bios and get upset.

Best to get the physical disk , they are handy for reinstalls too

don't forget the original home license doesn't allow you to change the language so try to match till it's all done
    since you are upgrading Oem the upgrade becomes an oem copy too and can't ever be moved to another machine

In my case HP means Home Premium.. sorry for the confusion..

I am thinking it might just be easier get a full retail version of Vista in case I move stuff around..

EDIT: Family pack.. but not what I need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

You cannot install without a product key doing an upgrade.
    That only works on a format and fresh install.

Just checked and thats not the case, as its the same as an in place upgrade from XP when you do Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate

• Advertisement
Advertisement