Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postage home from SE Asia

• 10-11-2008 8:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of posting packages home to Ireland from either Bangkok or Hanoi? Any ideas which one is cheaper/easier/quicker (although time isn't really an issue to be honest)?

I'm flyign into Bangkok soon from India but only stayign there long enough to organise my Vietnam visa and do a bit of (cheap!) family present shopping really so I'm wondering which would be a better bet for posting from?

Any help would be great - thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

From experience- packages from Thailand are far more likely to attract the attention of Customs and Excise, irrespective of what is in them- as its assumed that electricals and other goods may not be declared on the R1 form attached to the package. EMS from Thailand is about 2 weeks- and quite reasonably priced. Is there any way you might get back the taxes on the goods and then ship them from elsewhere (the old Singapore trick!)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Thanks smccarrick. To be honest, I cant imagine I'll be spending a whole pile of money on family presents so there won't be much there to claim tax back on. I'm thinking arts and crafty kind of junk!

But if I did buy some electrical goods could the "Singapore trick" you refer to be translated to a "Hanoi trick" I wonder? I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get there. Two weeks is far quicker than I was expecting to be honest so that's good. Thanks for the info.

Advertisement