Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Gearbox-Gear Stick Problems

Options
  • 10-11-2008 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Hello,

My ma tryed starting her car this morning and for some reason it wont come out of 1st gear. None of the other gears will work, in fact she cant get in to them even.

The car is an 05 Fiat Punto.

When you try to change gear the stick just feels stiff and will not move.

Any advice greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Will

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Bill wrote: »
    Hello,

My ma tryed starting her car this morning and for some reason it wont come out of 1st gear. None of the other gears will work, in fact she cant get in to them even.

The car is an 05 Fiat Punto.

When you try to change gear the stick just feels stiff and will not move.

Any advice greatly appreciated .

Cheers

Will
    Push the clutch in and move the car a tiny bit by pushing it. Then see will it come out of first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Plug wrote: »
    Push the clutch in and move the car a tiny bit by pushing it. Then see will it come out of first.
    We rolled it out the driveway earlier, and we have tryed moving it out of 1st gear but its just stuck.

The car drives in 1st but thats it .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Garage time!
    :(

Plug wrote: »
    Garage time!
    :(
    Ya Lol I kinda gathered that !

Just wanted to know if anyone has experience of this issue and what it is.

Now have read up a bit so far this morning its sounds 99.9% like a gear linkage issue, has anyone expierence of such issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Bill wrote: »
    Now have read up a bit so far this morning its sounds 99.9% like a gear linkage issue, has anyone expierence of such issues?

Sounds like a linkage problem to me too. Possibly it's seized where the rod enters the gearbox casing. I've known linkage problems to have the effect you describe, although then it was a case that the linkage had been incorrectly set up following a clutch replacement. That was identifiable by the gear lever being off centre when in neutral, and any gear other than 1st or 2nd was impossible to select.

We have a mechanic coming out at lunch time , hopefully its nothing serious.

Advertisement