Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I've been scammed on the internet..Help

Options
  • 10-11-2008 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭

Hi all. there could be a better place here on boards to post my problem but i dont know where. my post can be moved if so.

so heres my problem...

i was on gumtree and there were 4 tickets for sale for a gig in Dublin. i wanted to buy 2. i contacted the seller and they informed me they had the same tickets on ebay and gumtree. we agreed to do the transaction through an ebay representative which i was ok with.. i recieved a confirmation email from an ebay rep( which was all official- didnt seem fake or anything...) the payment method was a money gram which it all explained- once ebay perso recieved money they would then tell seller to ship me tickets that i would have them in 1-2days and that i had 5days to look over the tickets once i revieved them, to ensure they are ok etc and once i said ya they where ok the money would then be sent to the seller yet if i was not happy i would get my money back... (i went on to the money gram website and it looked ok, i located my nearest money gram office and went there...

so to continue it is 2weeks later and ive receved nothing!!!!!!!! ive emailed the Ebay person and both the seller and get this -> BOTH email address's that i send emails to have FAILED.. as in i get an email back saying

' This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed'........

like OH my GOD have i been scammed......... i have no idea what to do now!!!!!!!

i need someones help!!

like i was really careful in purchasing the tickets for fear of scammes etc- and look what happened.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhh

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

There a online auction type section, but anyway. Did you but it from an auction he listed (post link if possible).

If you did you can go down the route of filing a dispute through ebay. If not, and you've paid by money order then I don't think there is anything you can do unfortunately. You have a postal address though? Is it a residential address?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

Why dont you contact ebay directly???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

you sent the money via Moneygram? Cash? You never should do this! Neither Western Union! Always use a credit card for internet purchases. If you don't have a credit card get a 3V voucher www.3v.ie and open a paypal

I suppose you contact ebay and probably gumtree as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭maggie_cork

the address given by ebay person was offices- well i think so...... ya il email ebay and see how i get on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

the address given by ebay person was offices- well i think so...... ya il email ebay and see how i get on..
    You should try ring them if possible !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hi all. there could be a better place here on boards to post my problem but i dont know where. my post can be moved if so.

so heres my problem...

i was on gumtree and there were 4 tickets for sale for a gig in Dublin. i wanted to buy 2. i contacted the seller and they informed me they had the same tickets on ebay and gumtree. we agreed to do the transaction through an ebay representative which i was ok with.. i recieved a confirmation email from an ebay rep( which was all official- didnt seem fake or anything...) the payment method was a money gram which it all explained- once ebay perso recieved money they would then tell seller to ship me tickets that i would have them in 1-2days and that i had 5days to look over the tickets once i revieved them, to ensure they are ok etc and once i said ya they where ok the money would then be sent to the seller yet if i was not happy i would get my money back... (i went on to the money gram website and it looked ok, i located my nearest money gram office and went there...

so to continue it is 2weeks later and ive receved nothing!!!!!!!! ive emailed the Ebay person and both the seller and get this -> BOTH email address's that i send emails to have FAILED.. as in i get an email back saying

' This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed'........

like OH my GOD have i been scammed......... i have no idea what to do now!!!!!!!

i need someones help!!

like i was really careful in purchasing the tickets for fear of scammes etc- and look what happened.....

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhh

I know someone caught the same way. The email isnt from ebay it probably looks like ebay (ie ebay-salesclosed.com or something) but not ebay.com

do you know if the person you know resolved the matter ??

like im so freaky mad....... the tickets were a present...

the 2 tickets cost €150 altogether- if it was a scam i suppose i should be glad i didnt spend anymore money..

but at the samwe time im never going to feel safe buying anything off the internet again

well ive emailed both ebay and gumtree now.. and i also intend to track my money order..

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

well ive emailed both ebay and gumtree now.. and i also intend to track my money order..

You've been done over I'm afraid, eBay never "holds money" for a buyer or a seller.

Sorry he only got a reply back from the moneygram crowd saying to contact the police in the city it was cashed (London). It also gave the fellows name that cashed it.
    Can you PM me the initials of the person who cashed yours when moneygram gets back to you? My mate is curious to see if its the same person.

• Advertisement

ebay just contact me-

Yup ive been scammed!!!!!! greAT :(

ya i will pm you the initals jumpy.

quick question so after all my bad luck- is it safe to buy tickets from ebay?? like i NEED 2 tickets yet im afraid of where to purchase them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

Ebay are fine.

The problem is that the scam didnt actually take place through E-bay just a scam artist using their name.

Any purchaces through e-bay using paypal (or COD) are pretty OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

You sent cash :rolleyes:

I'm sorry that you have been scammed but some very basic steps to authenticate could hve avoided this.

Learn.

ya..

thanks for the advice.......................................

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

not really to be honest because they are about the same price everywhere i have been looking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

really???? have block and row are they??

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sorry you were scammed, Maggie.... On the plus side, this will be a learning experience for you (not much consolation, I know..)

FYI - I edited your original post because it mentioned an MCD gig - no discussion of MCD gigs of any kind is allowed on boards.ie. Please don't mention the name of the band in any further posts... cheers...

ya it defo is a learning experience!!!!!!

i can cancel the money order doh which i just found out and ive up to 30days to do so so straight after work im cancelling it!

• Advertisement

Are you sure about the 30 day thing?

it says it on the receipt i got for the money order in the terms and conditions

Just said this to my mate, hes told me that moneygram told him there could be no refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

this is getting very common, a close mate got scammed a couple of weeks ago. if you have to pay using Moneygram or Western Union then you should be prepared to get scammed.

they told me id get a refund if the money was still there..... but the person was already after collecting the money.....

so its official i have been scammed.......... Great.

but yes yes i know - i was the bigger fool...

all the moneygram people could do is ring up and find out when the money had been collected. and aswell all they could do it report the persons name to the authorities... little good that will do me now .........

so moral of the lesson- be very very wise when purchasing off the net.....

What were the guys initials?

2 names. Mp and GS. any of those link with your friend??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

they told me id get a refund if the money was still there..... but the person was already after collecting the money.....

so its official i have been scammed.......... Great.

but yes yes i know - i was the bigger fool...

all the moneygram people could do is ring up and find out when the money had been collected. and aswell all they could do it report the persons name to the authorities... little good that will do me now .........

so moral of the lesson- be very very wise when purchasing off the net.....

major pain!! hard luck but i wouldnt get put off purchasing off the net, you were just unlucky this time.

2 names. Mp and GS. any of those link with your friend??

Ill ask him in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

100% scam, the email from ebay was fake.

Advertisement