Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walks in and around Athlone

• 10-11-2008 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice in and around Athlone to go for long walks. (hobby and exercise) There are no parks, the lake is not really developed for this and it’s no fun walking on busy roads.

I know of one spot out in Portlick, but it’s no good in winter because of the soft ground. A bit farther afield is Birr Castle which is beautiful and being around 30-40 minutes away by car is a bit far.

All suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

tetra7 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice in and around Athlone to go for long walks. (hobby and exercise) There are no parks, the lake is not really developed for this and it’s no fun walking on busy roads.

I know of one spot out in Portlick, but it’s no good in winter because of the soft ground. A bit farther afield is Birr Castle which is beautiful and being around 30-40 minutes away by car is a bit far.

All suggestions welcome!

Not really picturesque but I think theres a signposted Sli an Slainte to show people a walking route just for a bit of exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

2 good options :

If you head out the Roscommon Road to Knockroghery (about 20mins drive) and head for portrunney bay signposted to the right, you'll find portrunny harbour. There is a walk along the shoreline of the lake (right hand side) for about a mile or so.

Head for Portumna and the forest park (40 minutes drive). There are very good sign posted walks through the woods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

It's funny, I was out in Portlick yesterday and would agree there isn't a whole lot to see. I found a thing online saying the walkway was all along the shore of the lake, but in reality it's through the forest.

I was also in Portrunny Bay today, and it's a lovely spot, although I didn't notice the mile long walkway. Must head back. Easy to find, just turn right before the level crossing at Knockcroghery and it's well sign posted from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tetra7

I never thought of Purtrunney bay, thanks!

I'll try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

You really shouldnt have to go the whole way to Portrunny just to bring the poor auld mut for a walk.I dont often venture outside 30mle limit as we have plenty of streetlit walking in my area but as far as I know there are nice walks in the Moydrum area,good long walks, ask any of the locals out there......I believe they are very friendly .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

God, I'd say you'd find some cars at the bottom of them potholes on the way into Moydrum Forest!

Advertisement