Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Claiming from third party insurers..

Options
  • 10-11-2008 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I had stopped and was stationary at a roundabout in a queue of traffic, immediately after stopping I heard a screeching of tyres and BANG.

I have just phoned my insurance to report the accident and they said that it will all be handled by the Third Party Insurance company.
    Now, how long do I have to wait before anything starts happening? What if the guy That went into the back of me doesn't report it?

There is no major damage, but back, boot, front, bonnet and exhaust are damaged. The exhaust is making a loud noise and I can smell fumes, so I would like to get something sorted asap.

Anyone know the time scale involved? First accident. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can report it to his Insurance company.

Im sure you have his/her Insurance details so report it for him and get the ball rolling as fast as.

I was in a head on collision before and Hibernian advised me to report it to his Insurance company just in case he does not.

In your case clearly the other driver was wrong because they crashed into you so they might not be soo fast to call their Insurance company. Even if they wanted to pay for the damages in cash their Insurance company are obliged to be told and so are yours for that matter. So you are really saving the other person a phone call at worst.

The process will be as slow as you want it to be. Get your car into the nearest main dealership for a full crash repair assessment and await a call from the other persons Insurance assessor.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

This having happened to me earlier this year, you'll need to put pressure on the third party insurer every step of the way. Its clear cut liability (and in my case, the other driver admitted at the scene AND reported it), but Zurich did nothing without my prompting, each step.

I got a quote from a main dealer, which they accepted - but only after I called them to chase it; agreed to pay the dealer - but only after I called to called them to chase it... and so on.

What did the front of your car hit to get damaged, by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

I just phoned his Insurance and it hadn't been reported.
    They took my name and number and said they would ring me back.

He pushed me into the car in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,983 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ouch, that could make it a lot messier...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

MYOB wrote: »
    Ouch, that could make it a lot messier...

It will be easier if all the Insurance companies are working together. If one of them decides to try and run it alone then there will be a slow down.

As the OP did not cause the accident there will be no problem other than having the crash hanging over their heads for the next 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭felim

kleefarr wrote: »
    I just phoned his Insurance and it hadn't been reported.
    They took my name and number and said they would ring me back.

He pushed me into the car in front.

This happened to a friend a few years back and the car in front claimed of his insurance, then he had to claim that damage and his own from the insurance of the person at the back. It was VERY messy. I don't envy you.

They phoned me back after lunch. Told me to go ahead and get a garage to assess the damage which I have done. They'll send the quote out in a couple of days.
    Also said that they will get an insurance assessor to visit.

I have a feeling they will write it off. :(

Shame as it's such a nice car. :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Economic or structural write off? You may be able to get an economic write off sorted with the write off value (-salvage value).
    You are better off going through their company as the alternative is to go through your own company and then they claim it back but in the meantime your NCB is suspended which obviously you don't want!

Economic write off. It's not really too bad structurally.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

As I said economic write offs can be repaired but you may need to look hard for someone willing to do it cheaply (nixer?).
    Mine after crash http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/E39_damage_again_2.jpg
    Now its perfect!

• Advertisement
Advertisement