Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rust on 2008 Scenic

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi All

I have a friend who has an 08 Scenic, has it about 7weeks. He noticed rust is starting on the and around the centre wheel hub. I had a look myself its not that bad but the car is only on the road a couple of weeks what will it be like in a years time.
    He will be taking it back to the dealer to have it looked at, anyone come across the likes of this before.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

It's not unheard of, its is also a problem on some Mazdas. The hubs are generally excluded from corrosion warranties I think and the problem is usually just cosmetic. But I agree, it looks lousy and shouldn't be acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

spree wrote: »
    Hi All

I have a friend who has an 08 Scenic, has it about 7weeks. He noticed rust is starting on the and around the centre wheel hub. I had a look myself its not that bad but the car is only on the road a couple of weeks what will it be like in a years time.

Around the brake disks?

Either way the "hub" is cast, and would need to be submerged in the atlantic for 90 years before the rust would become an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Steel hubs do tend to get rusty. Take a wire brush and clean off all of the rust. Then take some brake grease and apply a thin coating to the hub to prevent it from happening again.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭spree

Sorry I should have been a bit more specific, the rust is started on the hub which as said it would take years and years for rust to cause to much of a problem. But its started with spots of rust on the threads and although the hub nut I am sure has some kind of corrosion proofing eventually it will start to rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

Steel hubs do tend to get rusty. Take a wire brush and clean off all of the rust. Then take some brake grease and apply a thin coating to the hub to prevent it from happening again.

Do NOT put grease anywhere near the hubs.

Clean it off and paint it with silver smoothrite or hammerite. Better still ask the dealer to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If they were driving into sea water or around the beach and not washing the car afterwards it can result in rust appearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

This is a problem for new BMWs as well. What looks like the hub is actually part of the brake disc. Many alloy cleaners are acidic and cause the brake disk to rust. It's not a problem on the disk itself because once the brakes are applied it clears up but it remains on the 'hub' part. You can see the rust even on showroom BMWs. Apparently the brake disks used to get some sort of coating (I forget what but it wasn't zinc) to prevent corrosion but it was carciogenic and its use is being discontinued. I don't know what manufacturers are using in its place but whatever it is it isn't as good at preventing corrosion. Seems like this could be widespread problem.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Paint only lasts a short while on these anyway as it gets burnt off due to the heat. You can get heat resistant brake paint, but I wouldnt bother unless it is upsetting you.

Something else will cause the renault to die before the rusty hubs. I promse you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

maidhc wrote: »

Something else will cause the renault to die before the rusty hubs. I promse you that.

Is that comment really necessary?

Yeah. The comment would be equally true were the car a Toyota or Honda. You are the one suggesting a Renault may be anything other than flawlessly reliable! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I didn't think it was harsh ... surface rust on a metal component will surely outlast any vehicles other impending faults, renault or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

Wheel cleaners generally have that effect on hubs/discs/callipers due to acidic (or alkaline) content.

Advertisement