Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Harney abolishes cervical cancer vaccine

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Hi All

I set up a petition regarding the cervical cancer vaccine that was abolished by Minister Mary Harney last week.

Please take a moment to sign this petition if you think its important that young girls between the ages of 10-12 receive this vaccine that will prevent them from getting cervical cancer when they're older:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ccs2008/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Please don't post stuff like this across multiple fora in future, it's considered to be spamming.

I'm leaving this open as some here might be interested in signing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Today fm are also doing an email drive.
    http://www.todayfm.com/Article.asp?id=971162

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭secrecy_ie

thanks nesf, I've noted that, won't do it again.

I had just noticed after posting here that people had been discussing it in Med and Bio before so thought it might generate interest there also.

No spamming intended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

secrecy_ie wrote: »
    Hi All

I set up a petition regarding the cervical cancer vaccine that was abolished by Minister Mary Harney last week.

Please take a moment to sign this petition if you think its important that young girls between the ages of 10-12 receive this vaccine that will prevent them from getting cervical cancer when they're older:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ccs2008/

Why has the minister abolished it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

signed.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Carrigart Exile

Thaedydal wrote: »

Thank you, so its on economic grounds and not on doubts about the vaccine.

Thank you, so its on economic grounds and not on doubts about the vaccine.

Yes the UK rolled out their program for this this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Does anyone know if you can pay to get this vaccine as an adult? Or do you have to get it as a teenager?

The reason it is being offered to young girls is that it is only effective if you have not been sexually active and come in contact with the virius. Some healty care providers and family planning clincs off it, as a set of 3 injections each costing 200 euro each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

signed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Signed, emailed direct, also emailed using Today FM's link

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Anyone hear Ray D'Arcy interview her about this yesterday? Used the petition to bully her into appearing on the show and then flattened her in the interview. Not going to change anything but it was nice to hear someone tell her that her actions will cause deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Funny how different people hear different things. My wife (hates harney) was listening to it and said she came across very well and explained the situation logically and made sense about the plans whereas D'Arcy came across as a muppet who hadn't a clue what he was on about and was way out of his depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Ludo wrote: »
    Funny how different people hear different things. My wife (hates harney) was listening to it and said she came across very well and explained the situation logically and made sense about the plans whereas D'Arcy came across as a muppet who hadn't a clue what he was on about and was way out of his depth.

People hear what they want to hear with these interviews a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

Ludo wrote: »

+1 my thoughts exactly. He came across as a joke interviewer, and incapable of reasoned debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭todolist

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Yes the UK rolled out their program for this this week.
    If we were still part of the UK(we still should be)Our people would benefit like all the people in the UK..Southerners driving north into the UK to buy food to avoid rip off prices.The independent Irish Republic has failed Irish people miserably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

So move there if you are such a big fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

signed! come on people more sigs needed!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Dfens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Does anyone know if you can pay to get this vaccine as an adult? Or do you have to get it as a teenager?
    It has not effective once you have become sexually active. I'm not being rude BTW!
    The aim of the vaccine is to protect you against 2-4 strains of the HPV (human papilloma virus) and the most way most of us are exposed to this is through intercourse. The manafacturers recommend 12 -15 years of age as the best time to get it. If you have not been sexually active might be worth discussing with your GP.
    PS bit of a debate on the Biology and Medicine thread (might interest you).

Advertisement