Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic Saturday.

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭

Why did it take an hour to get from Claregalway to the Ardilaun hotel on Saturday afternoon? Is the traffic normally that bad or were we just unlucky?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Its not normally that bad. Outside of race week, that was the worst I've ever seen it. Took almost an hour to get from Doughiska into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Galway traffic is getting worse, even though that seems particularly bad.
    Just wait for the Christmas traffic. The weekends will be madness.

There was a big protest march against education cuts on Saturday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

There was a big protest march against education cuts on Saturday afternoon.
    yep they say over 10,000 landed on galway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

it was awful - it took me 30 minutes to get from Father Griffin Road to the docks...

And that was before the protest started...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Well maybe the march made it that way. I wouldn't like it every week anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It was caused by traffic tailing back in Merchant road as they queued for the car parks which were full already . It eventually tailed back to flood street and gridlocked the town. This often happens on a wet saturday .

The solution is that the peelers get off their holes and proactively move these queues on in Merchants Road on days when it is EXCEPTIONALLY wet . It will require a traffic cop in the middle of Merchants road managing the queues on either side .

That will unlock the grid . Galway Traffic cops are very lazy and would rather go speed gun on long straight stretches of road where there is no risk to anyone if a car does 65mph :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

What Galway needs is a P&R. Soon, it will be bus lane along most of the Dublin road. Theres a big field near the roundabout at the start of the Dublin road. Chuck a P&R in there.

I still think its hilarious that Bus Eireann try to help solve traffic problems by sending their race week buses from Eyre Square. Its ridiculous if you think about it.

Advertisement