Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems to be a lot less live music and more DJs

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

in the pubs and bars over the last 8 months.

Are the pubs getting a lot less trade than they used to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It's a pity really...it should be the hardworking musicians getting the gigs. Not someone who plays their iPod with loads of crappy dance tunes...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Cheaper I suppose. Less equipment costs and less people to pay.

DJ is to music as projectionist is to cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

A DJ can be just as good as a band if you're in the mood. And a good DJ is of course better than a sh1tty band.. "DJ" and "hard working musician" are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Usually they are though, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't noticed much of a difference in the pubs that generally feature a lot of live music e.g. Roisin Dubh or Sally Longs.

Are you thinking of specific pubs OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Maybe paying a 5 piece band adds up, but I know the solo and 2/3 member bands are not getting rich off pub gigs! Often DJs get more than a solo musician I think, but that depends on the venue

If you want a bigger sound, or stuff to dance to, then a band is maybe preferred. I have been to a bunch of good smaller gigs tho recently..Neachtains, BKs, Roisín, Crane, Massimos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Must say I prefer a few musicians playing covers and whatnot unplugged to loud unce-unce that kills any conversation.

Blue note DJs, why do you think everyone is out there in the smoking area?

*shakes zimmer frame angrily*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

cornbb wrote: »
    A DJ can be just as good as a band if you're in the mood. And a good DJ is of course better than a sh1tty band.. "DJ" and "hard working musician" are not necessarily mutually exclusive. Usually they are though, unfortunately.

true, but I have never seen a good DJ in Galway, and someone standing at a desk playing CDs hardly qualifies as one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

biko wrote: »
    Blue note DJs, why do you think everyone is out there in the smoking area?

*shakes zimmer frame angrily*

well it is one of the best smoking areas in town :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Heh, come down to Bierhaus on Thursday night of this week for The Gaslamp Killer from the Low End Theory club in L.A. It's free in. You still won't have seen a good DJ though, only a GREAT one :D

Linkage:
    www.myspace.com/thegaslampkiller

And, might I add, last month saw fantastic DJ sets from Daddy Kev, Jerry Dammers from The Specials and Steinski in Galway. The likes of Daddy Kev and Gaslamp Killer go far, far beyond pushing a play button, they're proper performances in themselves. I think you've just been in the wrong places at the wrong times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

malice_ wrote: »
    I haven't noticed much of a difference in the pubs that generally feature a lot of live music e.g. Roisin Dubh or Sally Longs.

Are you thinking of specific pubs OP?

903 and Kings Head come to mind

MattKid wrote: »
    Fair enough, I rarely go to either of those pubs if I can help it so I've no idea if they have changed or not :).

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

in the pubs and bars over the last 8 months.

Are the pubs getting a lot less trade than they used to?

Definately. Used to play in a gigging band in Galway a few years ago. Gigs were fairly easy to come by back then. Speaking to people still playing around town now, only for student nights, they'd be out of work. DJ is cheaper, simple as that

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Kings Head used to be great for the cover bands.
    Tightrope \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Anyone remember the Pyramid gigs on Wednesday nights in Roisins, way back..?

ahh, the memories...:p

Heard that the Kingshead doesn't do live music anymore, and neither do any of the other 'old regulars'. It's a sorry state for this town...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

your right there.. kings head has stopped doing live music for the foreseeable future.. which is a pity..

roisin still get bands in.. but then they destroy the atmosphere with a dj after the gig..

even downstairs in the quays has a dj most nights.. but thankfully upstairs is still a live venue.. wednesdays - sundays

galway has always been fussy about live music.. hardly anywhere left for original bands to get a gig and even harder for an unknown band to get anywhere..

bring back the punchbag theater.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

...yeah its a pity allright...in 2003/04 cuba had live bands onstage 6 nights of the week,...cellar and kings head probably about 4/5........its a pity the dj's have taken over....i wouldnt mind as much but the dj's are fairly generic playin the same rNb pop yid here anywhere....ah well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Ya but the bands were pretty generic too. How many times has a **** covers band ruined a good night out? And what is it about bands but it seems the worse they are, the louder they play...

Can I plug ourselves in this thread too? I resisted but I think it's relevant now. We run a night called Stress!! and we've run in De Burgo's for nearly two years now. We only put on original music and we've put on folks from the local, national and international realms. We've put on over 90 gigs at this stage and probably around the 150 acts mark.

We don't run on a regular basis really which is not our choice but if you keep an eye out in the Advertiser the gigs always get an article there telling you what's upcoming. We have a mailing list too, just contact info@stresssurrounds.com.

Next band gig we have coming up is the fabulous And So I Watch You From Afar from Belfast (think Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai style). Here's our myspace..

www.myspace.com/stressahah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Can I plug ourselves in this thread too? I resisted but I think it's relevant now. We run a night called Stress!! and we've run in De Burgo's for nearly two years now. We only put on original music and we've put on folks from the local, national and international realms. We've put on over 90 gigs at this stage and probably around the 150 acts mark.

We don't run on a regular basis really which is not our choice but if you keep an eye out in the Advertiser the gigs always get an article there telling you what's upcoming. We have a mailing list too, just contact info@stresssurrounds.com.

Next band gig we have coming up is the fabulous And So I Watch You From Afar from Belfast (think Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai style). Here's our myspace..

I can vouch for this guy :D

I prefer not to see live music (either DJs or bands) in the pub unless I go there specifically for it. Stress gigs are consistently top notch and deserve to be pimped to death.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Ballisong

903 has two bands most nights of the week

slickmcvic wrote: »
    the dj's are fairly generic playin the same rNb pop yid here anywhere
    Is this a reference to some bizarre Jewish music scene or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Over&Over

Stress!! rules... Original music, no ****e covers.

Advertisement