Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time For A Fat-Tax?

• 10-11-2008 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭

Imo it's time to have a higher VAT rate (maybe 30%) on foods whose fat content is above a certain threshold

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

What for to stop obesity or to help the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

No, since not everyone who eats high fat foods is actually fat. It would just be peddled as a tax to make people eat healthier, while in reality it would just a revenue generating measure.

It would be much better to introduce a proper exercise regime into schools, so rather than having kids run around aimlessly for the class. Have them do a fitness test at the end of the year, if they cannot do certain requirements in a pre-determined time they fail the class.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

It would be much better to introduce a proper exercise regime into schools, so rather than having kids run around aimlessly for the class. Have them do a fitness test at the end of the year, if they cannot do certain requirements in a pre-determined time they fail the class.

But what about children who are at a disadvantage such as asthmatics. Would a test not just add pressure to children to look a certain way?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

that's gonna include loads of household staples then... butter, cheese, cooking oil etc... not sure we really want that now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Imo it's time to have a higher VAT rate (maybe 30%) on foods whose fat content is above a certain threshold

Is this a luxury tax or tax to prevent obesity, like the cigarette tax is supposed to be for health. They already did tax chocolate "luxury" buscuits a while ago.

I follow a fairly high fat diet to keep my fat levels down. You have probably been sucked into the whole "low fat" diet crap. It would be better to have a carbohydrate tax if you want to tackle obesity, but then this would cut out my porridge that I also eat to stay a normal weight.

Check out this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055415395
    It would be much better to introduce a proper exercise regime into schools
    And teach about food, most people are woefully ignorant. Many actually do think fat is the only thing that can make you fat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I agree, sugary sweets, choclit bars, and crisps should all be taxed to the max like fags. We all know they are bad for us. They are supposed to be treats, like they were a hundred years ago.

Oh and ehh, yeah edumacashun in skoolz 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

show them a few episodes of Half Ton Hospital, and they'll cop on

Advertisement