Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt Jet Returns From Major Overhaul In US

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭

Government jet returns after overhaul in US

ALISON HEALY

THE GOVERNMENT jet returned to Dublin yesterday after undergoing a major refurbishment in the US.

The Gulfstream jet is 17 years old and has flown more than 11,200 hours, or 660 hours a year.

This is almost twice the annual hours flown by jets of a similar age.

Air Corps personnel flew the jet to Savannah, Georgia, on July 20th for a major overhaul after buying a replacement was ruled out. They also tested the jet before it was returned home yesterday.

Earlier this year, the then taoiseach Bertie Ahern told the Dáil there was not "an aircraft in the world, or the Third World" that had flown as many hours as the Gulfstream IV.

While most jets have their interiors refurbished every five to seven years, the Gulfstream has not had a major overhaul since the Government bought it in 1991.

Its cabin had become shabby and concern had been expressed that this might affect its airworthiness.

A spokeswoman for the Department of Defence said the total cost of the refurbishment was still being calculated as the jet had just returned.

The additional staff costs involving the Air Corps personnel were not available yesterday.

The Government also has a smaller aircraft, a Lear jet, which was bought at the beginning of the rotating EU presidency in 2004. It is used for short- and medium-haul flights.

Freedom of Information documents published in the Irish Independent yesterday showed that leasing a jet instead of refurbishing the current one would have cost €5 million a year.

Airbus had made an offer to the Government of flight hours on corporate jets at an "agreed fee", if it wished to dispose of the Gulfstream.

It also offered to find a buyer for the Gulfstream but in return, the Government would have to buy a new aircraft.

However, it was decided that the current jet should be repaired and refurbished to ensure that it remained airworthy.

The Government jet came to public notice last April when it was struck by lightning as it approached George Best Belfast City Airport.

The jet, carrying Mr Ahern and his officials, landed safely and no one was injured in the incident.

© 2008 The Irish Times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 43338.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They had to put bigger seats in for Biffo I bet :D

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

Earlier this year, the then taoiseach Bertie Ahern told the Dáil there was not "an aircraft in the world, or the Third World" that had flown as many hours as the Gulfstream IV.

LOL..... I'm sure in a few minutes I could find a number of G.IV's with more hours, let alone any aircraft;) The poor government, only 2 jets to play with and they're both a little bit old, Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

why was it flying into Belfast City airport? please tell me they don't fly up there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

why was it flying into Belfast City airport? please tell me they don't fly up there :rolleyes:
    Regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Regularly.

no wonder its got plenty of hours on the clock then. I would have thought it was quicker to drive than fly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

no wonder its got plenty of hours on the clock then. I would have thought it was quicker to drive than fly.

Is this the plane Bertie used to get to fly from Baldonnel to Dublin Aiport so he didn't have to sit in traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Del,

you are half right.... the fact is bertie refused to travel in 'dem helimacopters' whirly scary things and as such the GIV had to reposition from Bal'd to DUB so as Bertie could save a few minutes......

an absolute outrage:mad::mad::mad::confused::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

jmayo wrote: »
    They had to put bigger seats in for Biffo I bet :D

No Mary Harney got trapped in the Toilets and the ensuing carnage to free her with the Firebrigade was what necessitated the over haul I heard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I think it's used where more than one cabinet member is travelling up.

Actually, given the procedures for when a minister travels up north by road, it may well be quicker and more convenient to just take the jet from DUB.

Laughable though that the jet has to come over from Baldonnell to DUB to collect the ministers!

Advertisement