Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe O'Connor

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

One of my all time favourite books was 'Star of the Sea' by Joe O'Connor.

It was such a clever story, different, seemingly disparate strands that all tie together at the end, and told from a number of different viewpoints, the protagonists, the author, and even the 'Captain's Log.' I enjoyed every page of it. I would love to see a movie version.

It was with great excitement that I awaited his latest novel 'Redemption Falls,' which appeared to be based on the same premise.

Alas, I found the first two chapters turgid, like wading through thick, cold treacle, and I am sorry to say, it was one of only two books I ever put down unfinished in my whole life (the other being my only attempt at reading a Patricia Cornwell novel).

Maybe I should have given it the benefit of the doubt, but I found it an impossible read. What a change from the instantly absorbing 'Star of the Sea.' Did anyone else find this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

I found it a difficult read and to be honest I slogged through the first few chapters. However I did finish it. It's not as good as Star of the Sea I think. I did hear today that it's been nominated for the Impac prize. Anne Enright's The Gathering has been nominated too. Now there's a book that I'll never read after hearing the negative reviews of friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Anne Enright's The Gathering has been nominated too. Now there's a book that I'll never read after hearing the negative reviews of friends.

You're missing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Just finished Star of the Sea on Monday, I loved it. Thought the inclusion of original letters, contemporary accounts and illustrations from the era in between chapters worked really well, forced home the point that even though the book was a work of fiction, the dreadful scenarios depicted therein were very real.

I'd love to see a film adaption, I'd love to see who would play the part of Pius Mulvey,
    I thought he was a real Sméagol-type character.

Haven't read anything else by O'Connor, though I think I will now. When I was in secondary school our English teacher read us out some snippets from The Secret World of the Irish Male, found the bits she read quite funny at the time. Was just looking at the blurb for it on Amazon, which says it captures many "snapshots of modern Irish life". Seeing as it was written in 1995, there is a risk that it could seem as dated as Star of the Sea.

When I catch it his thought(s) for the day on RTE Radio One in the evening are usually quite interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aibby

I too could not get through more than 2 chapters. I gave it that long because I thought maybe it was only an introduction and it would get better, but it just kept going on and on. . I think he was just trying to be really clever but it didn't work. Its a pity because I was so looking forward to it. Star of the Sea was great though. Have you read any of his other books?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Chopper71

The first attempt at Star of the Sea, I managed about 30 pages and gave up. Then about two years later, I gave it another shot and loved it, could not put the book down.

Redemption Falls is so different to the Star & the Sea, however it would have been very difficult to do a follow up that was the same quality as Star of the Sea. I think it plodded along in the middle too long and left it too late to deliver all the sucker punches to the audience.

Will be very interested to read the next book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement