Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shepherd's pie dish

• 10-11-2008 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Shepherd, Cottage, whatever. I want to cook it this week. I have a pound of mince (I think, standard Tesco lean mince, so I think it's a pound). Can anyone tell me a good size dish (ie height, depth, width) to get so that it won't be too spread out but also it won't bubble over.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I measured my dish for you. It's 24cm X 16cm and 5 cm deep. I always put the dish onto a baking tray in the oven just in case it bubbles over - whether or not it does can depend on the amount of liquid you use with the mince.
    My recipe in case you haven't got one:

1lb of lean minced beef
    2 medium carrots, diced
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 pint of hot water
    2 red Oxo cubes
    A teaspoon of tomato puree
    A dessertspoon of flour - any kind
    A dash of Worcestershire Sauce if you have it
    A pinch of mixed herbs
    Fry the onion and carrot in a little oil over a low heat until they start to soften. Turn up the heat and add the minced beef, fry until browned. Sprinkle on the flour and stir well over a low heat for a minute. Pour on the stock made with the Oxo cubes and hot water and stir well. Add the tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce and herbs then season with salt and black pepper (not too much salt!). Stir well and add a little more hot water if it looks too thick. Simmer for around 30 minutes.
    Place in an oven-proof dish and cover with potatoes mashed with real butter and milk until light and fluffy, and drag a fork across the top to rough it up. Bake for 30 minutes at 180 degrees, gas mark 5.

For a change you can cover it with potatoes sliced thickly and boiled until tender. Place them overlapping on top of the meat sauce and brush with oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The Gordon Ramsey recipe is lovely! Takes a while though ... we made a couple of extra portions in small individual sized ramekin dishes, so you can just pop them in the freezer for a handy meal sometime.

http://www.channel4.com/food/recipes/chefs/gordon-ramsay/shepherds-pie-recipe_p_1.html

Advertisement