Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Emergency Landing in Rome

• 10-11-2008 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭

Link Here
    A Ryanair jet carrying 166 passengers to Frankfurt has landed safely in Rome after being forced to make an emergency landing.

The Boeing 737 grounded just before 7am (GMT) at Ciampino airport, Italy's civil aviation agency ENAC said.

No injuries have been reported.

Airport fire official Marco Ghimenti said the jet had reported an engine problem.

Ghimenti told local TV that passengers left the plane via a door and an emergency chute.

He said that the landing gear appeared to give way when the jet landed at the far end of a runway.

The airport has been temporarily closed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Deacon Blues

Looks like the left main gear has collapsed. Stand by for the usual flurry of "I told you so" and "cost savings on maintenance" posts.

I suppose that urging caution and awaiting some firm evidence of what the problem was and how the incident was handled before offering opinions on the company and crew are futile ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Bird strikes according to RTE:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/1110/ryanair.html

Any landing you can walk away from is a good one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I suppose that urging caution and awaiting some firm evidence of what the problem was and how the incident was handled before offering opinions on the company and crew are futile ??

Unfortunately we'll get plenty of people who had a flight delayed with ryanair at some stage in the past here with the pitch forks soon enough.
    Three passengers and two crew members have been taken to a local hospital as precaution, complaining of minor injuries.....

......the left-hand main landing gear suffered substantial damage on landing

For a gear to collapse on landing (assuming they werent expecting a problem) and for only 5 people to be hospitalised with minor injuries, and only as a precaution, is impressive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

rya960_1226315860.jpg

Notice the blood on the nose and the gear looks like it has punched up through the wing.

http://www.dagbladet.no/dinside/2008/11/10/553462.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I've often wondered what happens in a situation like this? Is the plane repairable?

I recall seeing Air Crash Investigation (or maybe it was Seconds From Disaster?) a while back where an Air Canada plane landed on a disused runway that had an armco barrier right down the middle of it for drag racing. Did they mention that that plane was in service still?

• Advertisement

Dyflin wrote: »
    Notice the blood on the nose and the gear looks like it has punched up through the wing.

http://www.dagbladet.no/dinside/2008/11/10/553462.html

And blood on the leading edge of the wing too..

I've often wondered what happens in a situation like this? Is the plane repairable?

I recall seeing Air Crash Investigation (or maybe it was Seconds From Disaster?) a while back where an Air Canada plane landed on a disused runway that had an armco barrier right down the middle of it for drag racing. Did they mention that that plane was in service still?

Yes, the nose gear collapsed in that incident and at the time of making the show, they said the plane was still in service and nicknamed 'the gimli glider'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

so it hit a large flock of birds (at 40,000 feet?) causing it to loose an engine and then its landing gear collapsed on landing?

surely the two must be seperate incidents, or did the lower power cause the plane to hit the runway harder?

Maybe they hit Santa:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Can anyone explain what might have happened here? The Sky story said that the plane hit a flock of birds on landing, but this would probably only damage one engine - the landing should still have been pretty standard. I doubt a birdstrike would cause substantial damage to the landing gear (though I might be wrong), so the gear damage was probably caused by a hard landing.

Great minds.....:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

They can call it an emergency landing if they want but thats a crash landing.

Saying that birds caused the plane's engine to go fire :rolleyes:

Only a matter of time now, only a matter of time...............

The Sky story said that the plane hit a flock of birds on landing,

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

BBC News
    BBC News wrote:
    Passengers said an engine had begun to smoke as the plane was coming in to land and it then rapidly descended.
    Was wondering why the landing gear was damaged from the landing, but if the flock of birds was hit just before touching down anyway and he suddenly lost power then that would account for a slightly "bouncier" landing than usual".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Seems both engines were damaged by bird strikes. The crew initiated a go around but had to abort the go around due to insufficient thrust from the damaged engines, they pitched down and landed hard - no choice they would only have had seconds to do this or they would have totally overshot the runway....gear collapse seems to be a result of this.

Excellent job by the crew in extremely difficult circumstances.

damo wrote: »
    Seems both engines were damaged by bird strikes. The crew initiated a go around but had to abort the go around due to insufficient thrust from the damaged engines, they pitched down and landed hard - no choice they would only have had seconds to do this or they would have totally overshot the runway....gear collapse seems to be a result of this.

why did they initiate a go around? did they hit the birds before they had decided to make an emergency landing or after? if before, do you get birds flying that high?

this sounds like a hitchcock movie:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭Cessna_Pilot

Damo you are absolutely spot on, terrific job by the flight crew for handling it the way they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

That plane will definately be repaired. The cost of the repair will be nothing compared to the value of the aircraft. It will be an insurance claim anyway.

The Gimli glider only went out of service last year as far as I know. It was flow to the states to be parked in the desert. Check on youtube for the last takeoff from Canada to the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

why did they initiate a go around? did they hit the birds before they had decided to make an emergency landing or after? if before, do you get birds flying that high?

Theres a lot of variables but often the best course of action with an engine surge on finals would be to take it back up into the air and carry out the appropriate drills etc.

They hit the birds on short finals according to reports, not at high altitude.

Bird strike my arse, I don't think most people are stupid enough to beleive that nonsense

Theres a lot of variables but often the best course of action with an engine surge on finals would be to take it back up into the air and carry out the appropriate drills etc.

They hit the birds on short finals according to reports, not at high altitude.

So it was coming into land and hit birds just before landing, they suffered variable thrust, tried to abort the landing, couldn't and slapped it down making the wheel go through the wing. (Or something like that anyway)

Bloody Ryanair ;)

• Advertisement

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Bird strike my arse, I don't think most people are stupid enough to beleive that nonsense

Yeah, the pilots fell asleep on finals and dropped the plane onto the runway. Then, to cover up their mistake, smeared some fake blood on the wings and nose of the aircraft and called it a birdstrike. Just another day as a ryanair pilot :rolleyes:

noblestee wrote: »
    Yeah, the pilots fell asleep on finals and dropped the plane onto the runway. Then, to cover up their mistake, smeared some fake blood on the wings and nose of the aircraft and called it a birdstrike. Just another day as a ryanair pilot :rolleyes:

Because the plane was hit by birds doesn't mean that this is the cause. Im sure thousands of planes every day have blood splattered over them.

Economic downturn + Greed = Less Servicing = More fatal crashes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Bird strikes happen - a few years back a Ryanair 737-200 hit a flock of pigeons on rotation (or very shortly after) off Rwy 10 at Dublin, resulting in a landing back on Rwy 16.

Most airports would have some kind of bird scaring method in operation on their land, but in a case like this it's possible that a strike happened well outside the airport perimeter.

I take 'eye witness reports from terrified passengers' with a pinch of salt to be honest, better to wait and see what the official investigations tell us. Well done to the crew for getting it down in (pretty much) one piece.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

+1, well done I say.
    Nasty repair bill tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭oneweb

So it was coming into land and hit birds just before landing, they suffered variable thrust, tried to abort the landing, couldn't and slapped it down making the wheel go through the wing. (Or something like that anyway)

Bloody Ryanair ;)
    Wonder if they played the fanfare for the on-time landing?

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Apparently it will be an insurance write off.

The birdstrike was on finals, so technically there was no "emergency landing" -merely one where alot went wrong....

Fatton Fred- in some parts of the world birdstrikes have been reported as high as 36000 feet.

Gareth37- Please do not go posting rubbish about things you know nothing about. It was far from a textbook definition of a crash landing.

Ryanair does not skimp on maintenance either, there are other airlines of equal or larger size of Ryanair who have much more serious issues with aircraft on a worryingly regular basis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Because the plane was hit by birds doesn't mean that this is the cause. Im sure thousands of planes every day have blood splattered over them.

Ah yeah and at night time they use them for ploughing the fields near the airport.

Forgot to use the extra large font to help convey the vast knowledge and understanding

I would say it is more like

Budget shorthaul airline = lots of planes making lots of take offs and landings = more chance of things not going according to plan.

i'm not sure how you would get blood on a plane other than from a bird strike, except for maybe the odd skydiver, flying pig etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Apparently it will be an insurance write off.
    That would cost millions, I believe in a crash land situation like this all parts have to be destroyed so they can't be put back into circulation. Usually they hire a company to oversee all this. Parts re used from as crashed plane are taken just as serious as using bogus parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

That would cost millions, I believe in a crash land situation like this all parts have to be destroyed so they can't be put back into circulation. Usually they hire a company to oversee all this. Parts re used from as crashed plane are taken just as serious as using bogus parts.

I am sure you mean parts damaged in a crash situation will be destroyed following the investigation.
    The contents of Lower 41 will still be serviceable, the glass cockpit....all be worth a lot of money.

The pre-recorded announcements must be saved :D

Advertisement