Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryanair Emergency Landing in Rome

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

From the pictures there I doubt it will be a write off - this particular plane is barely 6 months old. There is some damage to the nose and the leading edges, but the Engine / Cowling and the fact that the gear made it's way up through the wing will for sure make it an insurance job to repair.

Once repaired it will be tested and back on the line - just like a whole list of "damaged" aircraft before it - and just as safe as a new one.

The Replacement cost vs. new cost is too different.

Kudos to the crew - good job putting it on the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If the landing gear had not effectivly "punched" a hole into the wing near its root, all would be in a better situation, but it cannot fly in its current state so having a wing replaced would be difficult.

Of course there is still millions of value in that aircraft- everything barre the left wing, some of the fuselage and possibly the left engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Both engines will be replaced (the RH one will go to the shop to be repaired, the LH one will be scrapped due to striking the ground), and the LH landing gear too. The repair of the LH wing will be a Boeing special team repair job for sure. Dont forget that the gear has punched a hole in a composite panel at the back of the wing. It hasnt actually gone through the wing upper skin. Also the trunnion pins that hold on the gear have more than likely shreared as designed to minimise the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Gareth37 wrote: »
    Bird strike my arse, I don't think most people are stupid enough to beleive that nonsense

Gareth, youre out of youre depth here mate, take a back seat theres a good lad :D

Bird strikes are a very real and very dangerous hazard to aircraft.

Please tell me otherwise how Ryanairs neglecting on maintenance could cause two engines to surge at the same time on final approach? *gets popcorn*

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

Economic downturn + Greed = Less Servicing = More fatal crashes

I think Stellios of EasyJet put it best
    If you think safety is expensive, try an accident

Regardless of the costcutting to get you on board I for one have no fear of getting onto RyanAir, EasyJet or the like. They know their business and they know what a crash will do to them if it's their fault for cutting corners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

I tend to believe O'Leary when he says that low budget Airlines cannot skimp on safety precisely because of the "I told you sos" in the peanut gallerys.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

They can call it an emergency landing if they want but thats a crash landing.

Saying that birds caused the plane's engine to go fire :rolleyes:

Only a matter of time now, only a matter of time...............

Gareth37-- where have you gone, you were very vocal earlier, where has this anti Ryanair attitude:P come from? its unfounded, as several people have pointed out.

I fly on average 3 times per week for the past 3 years using many airlines, and I have to say ryanair has proven to be one of the most reliable for me.
    I've had 4 emergency landings in 3 years never with ryanair.. one Flyglobespan, two Jet 2 and one air France. so its not unusual to have bird strikes...

It has to be said well done to the crew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Indeed, we (well some of us)remember the Aer Lingus birdstrike on a B737-200 involving Gay Byrne on T/O out of Dublin a long time back.

Excellent work by all especially a get down by the flt crew following an initial go around decision.

Bird damage can be catastrophic,anyone who doesn't realise that doesn't really understand aviation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

So it was coming into land and hit birds just before landing, they suffered variable thrust, tried to abort the landing, couldn't and slapped it down making the wheel go through the wing. (Or something like that anyway)

Bloody Ryanair ;)

Just saw a passenger being interviewed on RTE, (not a dramatic world explorer thank god).

Fratton Fred's theory seems correct. The passenger said there was a lot of smoke coming from the engine, and the plane pitched upward, and dropped down heavily onto the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭seanyleary

Well done the crew, can not have been easy to land without one of the gear. Looks like it lost power to one or maybe the two engines and came down too hard and gear failed. The problem ryanair have now is i dont think there is a hanger there to fit a 737 there, looks like they might have to build a one.
    I would think it would fly again.
    I have seen bird strikes on aircraft before but never that bad, seems like an extreme case, which could be neglect on the airport's side!!!!!!
    Anyway well done to the crew to again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Another picture here from ryanair.com.

Alot of blood on the plane alright

aircraftFR4102.jpg

And just for the record, what one bird can do to a passenger jet.

So....so...bored..... and far too much time on my hands :D

Unfortunately the smoke from engine fires wont appear on the replay, and flocks of birds arent available as scenery add ons....

66417.jpg

66418.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

SOP for an engine failure on final is a go around. In this case it seems the other engine lost power too and the Captain planted it on the runway breaking the main gear in the process. Have a look at the picture. They are the piano keys at the runway threshold. It was that close to overshooting. They barely made it.

Why go around? The aircraft is designed to climb on one engine. A double engine failure from a birdstrike is almost unprecedented. I've seen the results of a birdstrike, just one bird on an engine. It horrifying, compressor blades lying flat like tress after a storm and the smell!!!!!!!!

This accident is as close to being a disaster as you an get. A double engine failure on finals? Sound familiar?

That flight crew earned their entire career salary today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Chief--- wrote: »
    Another picture here from ryanair.com.

Alot of blood on the plane alright

aircraftFR4102.jpg

Ryanair give us a picture from the future and expect us to swallow it, eh?

They are the piano keys at the runway threshold. It was that close to undershooting. They barely made it.

Time to re-shoot the vid so, didnt realise it landed so late
    That flight crew earned their entire career salary today.

+1
    nipplenuts wrote: »

happy halloween though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Fair play to the crew, that must have been very frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭muppet01

Indeed, they got the plane down in one piece.Of course people will ****e on about low fare low maintenance etc etc but they did well.Starlings fly in very dense flocks and also fly fast and with constant direction changes.
    Nice to see a bird give o'leary a bloody nose though............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Have a look at the picture. They are the piano keys at the runway threshold. It was that close to undershooting. They barely made it.
    The threshold marking are in the foreground and the aiming point marking can be seen in the background of the photo beside the right engine, which AFAIK would place the plane at the end of the runway.

It must be the season for bird strikes, had to swerve to avoid a flock of pelicans while flying the other day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

1. Is this the 2nd time Ryanair have said that one of their planes had to land because of "bird strike"? They are very unlucky thats all?

2. It was very good of them to release a picture of the plane. Nobody can argue, you can see the blood of birds on the plane so this must have caused the crash, right?

3. What height was the plane travelling when it happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

All I can say guys, is next time you fly Ryanair, make sure you tick the "arrive safely at the airport" box and pay the extra €10 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Gareth37, PLEASE stop posting utter rubbish, such as excerpts from the Times. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Because the plane was hit by birds doesn't mean that this is the cause. Im sure thousands of planes every day have blood splattered over them.

Economic downturn + Greed = Less Servicing = More fatal crashes

You seem to be hinting that Ryanair have some sort of issues. As I recall, this used to be the mantra of national airlines who were afraid of competition.

to be honest, i wouldn;t associate Ryanair with a poor maintenance regime. The airline has a great safety record. Granted that they ahve had two incidents of late - both of which the crew seemed to have handled admirably - but then as one of the largest airlines in Europe the probability is higher than other airlines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Why cant they put chicken wire over the engine cowls to prevent the birds from flying into them. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭FOGOFUNK

Why cant they put chicken wire over the engine cowls to prevent the birds from flying into them. :confused:

The wire might get damaged and fly into the fan blades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

FOGOFUNK wrote: »
    The wire might get damaged and fly into the fan blades.
    Only having a laugh, but O'Leary is well capible of doing it as he is still a farmer. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

some military jets have this, but it disrupts the airflow into the engine and greatly reduces performance.

a 737 with full fuel and passenger load requires a massive amount of thrust to counteract the weight in order for it to get airborne....'chicken wire' just isnt feasable on large transport aircraft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The threshold marking are in the foreground and the aiming point marking can be seen in the background of the photo beside the right engine, which AFAIK would place the plane at the end of the runway.

Oops, thanks Jack, I know what I meant to say, over, under err....... It nearly overshot the runway. I've edited it now. :D It stopped just in time.

On the other hand maybe he reversed in!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I think it was all a PR stunt to advertise their calendar. Well I would have if Miss november was Ms Safety! :D

Seriously, well done to the crew for getting it down in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Idiot

Advertisement