Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Drainage Problem-maybe neighbours fault

Options
  • 10-11-2008 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi
    A few months ago my neighbours decided to patio their rear garden. A few weeks after this was completed my garden started getting waterlogged. I contacted both the builder of the houses as I am only in about a year and also the neighbour regarding the problem.

The builders say that the neighbours must have blocked a drain when building the patio. Its lodging in my garden as my garden is at a higher level than theirs and the rainwater now apparently has nowhere to go. Its now so bad that I cannot go out in the garden and I reckon this also is a health hazard. Stagnant water cannot be good.

The neighbours are reluctant to believe that it is their fault and say that its the builders responsibility. However this problem was not their until this work was done in their garden and I dont think the work was carried out by a proper company either and that is why the drainage wasnt checked.

I dont want to fall out with my neighbours about this but I dont see why I should foot the bill to get this sorted.
    Just wondering can anyone give me advice on this? Would this be an expensive job if I was to get it sorted myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

drakiel wrote: »
    The builders say that the neighbours must have blocked a drain when building the patio. Its lodging in my garden as my garden is at a higher level than theirs
    Get a camera and see where the blockage is, if they are at fault they foot the bill for the repair and camera etc.
    If it is your problem, you are halfway there.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭the GALL

we could be twins
    my neighbour done work in his garden now mines under water in some places 2" he also put up a mound of soil between the two gardens and this has really fcuked up my garden(i think i need a bigger boat) I approached him and he done nothing about it shrugged his shoulders and walked off.
    Two schools of thought
    1) have the arguement and all the hassle and the not talking to the neighbours bull sh1t It's not worth the hassle and stress imho
    2) Get the problem fixed and when he's in need tell him to go and (you get the drift)
    Ive decided to go down route 2, It'll cost me about a grand to fix and ill be doing most of it myself but if it costs me a grand to see his face when the worm turns, It's a grand well spent ( think of big trees, etc, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 drakiel

cheers for the replies. Dont know what you mean by get a camera though to see where the problem is?
    I know it would be less hassle to sort it myself but really cant afford it and why should I when its obvious its their fault. If its costing you a grand and u are doing it urself would prob cost me hell of a lot more to get someone in as I wouldnt have a clue where to start with something like that. Would have to leave it to the professionals. Pity the neighbours had and I wouldnt be in this mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you look up drain companies some have a CCTV camera on a long cable, this is put into a drain and pushed along until the blockage is encountered.
    The distance is measured and the drain can be dug up at that point to clear the blockage.
    If it is 100% their fault you have other avenues to pursue.....

Advertisement