Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland squad to play Poland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ShooterSF wrote: »
    On the Carsley, Delap issue maybe its that he feels they would be past it by the time the world cup comes around and doesnt want to have to replace them afterwards with unused, unproven players...

yea, but we'd like to qualify first!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

gustavo wrote: »
    So now I understand

The key to it is to be "good enough to play in the UK"

I had a bit of a kickaround in a park in London once so :cool:I expect Trap has been monitoring my progress ever since and a callup is a mere formality at this stage

yes that's right, it's in the post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Des wrote: »
    Why bring Boardeaux into it at all.

Your backtracking is laughable.

How am I back tracking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

i trust trap, but im having serious doubts.

The word "trust" may mean something different to what you think it means.
    No Andy Reid, is he injured?

Beaten docket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

yea, but we'd like to qualify first!!

Yes but why qualify with a team that cant play in the tournament unless thats as far as we hope to go? Im not saying I fully agree with leaving them out but I can see why he may have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

No Andy Reid even in the squad?- We have already had the debate over whether or not he should start but surely not having him in the squad is a joke. He looked very good on Saturday and was supplying killer passes fro Cisse all day (incl the goal).

This is stubborn. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Re: Carsley. He was never going to be called up for a friendly game - no need. Everyone knows he can do a job for us, so i fully expect him to be in the next competitive squad and start in the engine room. As far as i know he was injured for last game(this was not widely reported) otherwise he would have been direct replacement for S. Reid

Also, no Joey O'Brien. He has made his bed and now it looks like he has to lie in it. What a silly, silly boy.

The Andy Reid omission saddens me. It is a disgrace how he is being treated. Never mind not starting him, since Trapattoni took charge i don't think he has got any game time at all. That is plainly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Nunu wrote: »
    Re: Carsley. He was never going to be called up for a friendly game - no need. Everyone knows he can do a job for us, so i fully expect him to be in the next competitive squad and start in the engine room. As far as i know he was injured for last game(this was not widely reported) otherwise he would have been direct replacement for S. Reid

That's wrong, and yeah everyone knows he can do a job - but it's clear he won't get called up.

Trappers said he was injured - which was news to Carsley who said he was good to go - and willing to play any part, even acknowledging he probably won't be around in 2years but was more than willing to get us there.

He's been completely treated unfairly and you wouldn't blame him for being another player disillusioned with the current setup.

We don't have the depth to leave out someone of his quality, just look Evertone this season without him.

Good blog on BBC Sport here - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/paulfletcher/2008/10/carsley_the_championships_most.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Also, no Joey O'Brien. He has made his bed and now it looks like he has to lie in it. What a silly, silly boy.

The Andy Reid omission saddens me. It is a disgrace how he is being treated. Never mind not starting him, since Trapattoni took charge i don't think he has got any game time at all. That is plainly wrong.

Agree about Carsley as there is no point in him playing in a friendly. He will be back.

As for Andy Reid. Meh. I doubt there is any real conflict between him and El Trap. Seems to be that he just does not rate him.

• Advertisement

For those saying Carsley will be back - what do you base that on?

When was the last squad he was selected in?

Carsley has about as much chance of playing as Stephen Ireland, Joey O'Brien, Rory Delay or Andy Reid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,173 ✭✭✭Dearg81

Mezcita wrote: »
    Agree about Carsley as there is no point in him playing in a friendly. He will be back.

As for Andy Reid. Meh. I doubt there is any real conflict between him and El Trap. Seems to be that he just does not rate him.

I don't think Carsley will be back. I'm disappointed but not surprised with the squad. I think Andrews will play against Poland and if he keeps his place with Blackburn i think he'll partner Whelan in midfield.

He has a clear idea of how he wants his team to play, with 6 defensive players and 4 attacking players and its pretty clear he's not gonna change the system to accomadate other players.

I'm worried about the midfield without S. Reid though. I think his injury might cost us qualifacation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

According to the RTE website:

The only major surprise is the omission of Sunderland midfielder Andy Reid, who has had a somewhat strained relationship with the manager.

Reid was named in the Ireland squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Georgia, Montenegro and Cyprus earlier this year but was an unused substitute in all three games.

It was widely speculated that Reid's fallout with the manager was related to incidents off the pitch following Ireland's 2-1 win over Georgia.

What incidents were these?? Anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

zAbbo wrote: »
    That's wrong, and yeah everyone knows he can do a job - but it's clear he won't get called up.

Trappers said he was injured - which was news to Carsley who said he was good to go - and willing to play any part, even acknowledging he probably won't be around in 2years but was more than willing to get us there.

Never knew any of this and I didn't realise it was Trapattoni himself who said he was injured. That is ridiculous if Carsley was fit and not selected for Cyprus game:confused:
    And it's not hindsight speaking I said before Cyprus game that Gibson/Whelan would be a poor combo. If Carsley was fit and willing it beggars belief he wasn't there!

Never knew any of this and I didn't realise it was Trapattoni himself who said he was injured. That is ridiculous if Carsley was fit and not selected for Cyprus game:confused:
    And it's not hindsight speaking I said before Cyprus game that Gibson/Whelan would be a poor combo. If Carsley was fit and willing it beggars belief he wasn't there!

See the article here - http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/internationals/carsley-im-still-keen-to-play-for-ireland-1501778.html

twenty8 wrote: »
    According to the RTE website:

The only major surprise is the omission of Sunderland midfielder Andy Reid, who has had a somewhat strained relationship with the manager.

Reid was named in the Ireland squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Georgia, Montenegro and Cyprus earlier this year but was an unused substitute in all three games.

It was widely speculated that Reid's fallout with the manager was related to incidents off the pitch following Ireland's 2-1 win over Georgia.

What incidents were these?? Anyone know?

i heard something about the players having a sing song after a game, led by reid playing guitar. they fell out........... and the rest is history!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Not one player in that squad that Trap hasn't worked with so far. It appears that the only place for experimenting is the B games.

Forgetting Andy Reid, if Owen Garvan was partnering any of those central midfielders in that squad he'd be the more dominant of the 2 in possession imo. And he's only 20. He's not the most combative player but he could certainly play the disciplined role Trap wants him to. He's also 6 foot which is a bonus. In the 2 games against England U21s (vs Huddlestone, Noble) he looked the most accomplished player on the pitch. He scored 2 against Portugals U21s a couple of months ago, playing beside James McCarthy and certainly dominating the play more than McCarthy. Over the last decade there's been at least one top class player in every FA youth cup winning team. Garvan was the youngest player in the Ipswich team and the first player given his chance at senior level. He's been rated extremely highly for years now and has more than enough experience to be in this squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This situation with Reid is baffling. I read that he was Sunderland's best player at the weekend and his form has been very solid all season. I wish that we could get some sort of definitive reasoning as to the breakdown in relations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Who replaced Reid in the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Boggles wrote: »
    Who replaced Reid in the squad?
    Keith Andrews.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

o christ:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Keith Andrews.

Paul Ince's 'Junior Lewis'.

Regarding Reid - I support Sunderland and he's been hit and miss this season and is struggling for a bit of consistancy, unlike last season. When he is good he is very very good and when he is bad he is horrid. Still streets ahead of what we have in central midfield mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Paul Ince's 'Junior Lewis'.

:D Lulz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd agree about Garvan alright should be playing in the premier league, I presume Trap has good reasons behind leaving Andy Reid out.

Don't agree with all the abuse Gibson has been taking since the Cyprus game, he is a player clearly with more ability/potential than Carsley/Delap/O'Brien, he just needs to impose himself on games more.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

what about Neol Hunt? Caleb Folan and Shane Long shouldn't be getting in ahead of him!! what is going on in Traps head?? does Brady have any influence on this team whatsoever??

I like Noel Hunt but I can't see him breaking into the first 11 ahead of Keane or Doyle, while Folan and Long are probably better options coming off the bench as they give us something different in terms of strength and pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

I can see your point alright, but Im a big believer in playing players who are playing regular first team football, Trap obv doesn't see it this way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I see that Whelan captained (and scored for) Stoke last night.

I like Noel Hunt but I can't see him breaking into the first 11 ahead of Keane or Doyle, while Folan and Long are probably better options coming off the bench as they give us something different in terms of strength and pace.

Is Long that fast? Id rather someone who is playing and scoring regularly in the Championship. I'm not sure how well Long is progressing on the Reading Bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

stovelid wrote: »
    I see that Whelan captained (and scored for) Stoke last night.
    In the Carling Cup with a team full of several reserves though

In the Carling Cup with a team full of several reserves though

True, but could still be a sign he is in Pulis' plans though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

For this "experimentation", I would like to have seen

Keily

Foley
    OShea
    Dunne
    J.OBrien

Delap
    A.Reid
    Whelan
    McGeady

Keane
    Long

How wrong could I have been. Both O Brein and Reid will make themselves unavailabe. Without Andy O Bren, and Stephan ireland things are bad enough

Het-Field wrote: »
    For this "experimentation", I would like to have seen

Keily

Foley
    OShea
    Dunne
    J.OBrien

Delap
    A.Reid
    Whelan
    McGeady

Keane
    Long

How wrong could I have been. Both O Brein and Reid will make themselves unavailabe. Without Andy O Bren, and Stephan ireland things are bad enough

My ideal experimental 11.
    B.Murphy

Foley
    Bruce
    Dunne
    Delaney

Gibson
    Fahey

D.Murphy
    Keane
    N.Hunt

Doyle

6 past or present Eircom League players.
    Wishful thinking though.

Westwood and Noel Hunt have been called up to replace the injured but still no Andy Reid.

That must be it surely as long as Trap is in the job for the Sunderland man.

excuse my ignorance but, who da hell is westwood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

Liam Brady today ->
    "He [Trapattoni] outlined that he doesn't want to change the system," insisted Brady this afternoon. "I read the papers this morning about Andy having a poor attitude - that's not what Giovanni was saying.

"Andy has trained well, he has been good around the group, but I think the manager thought he is not going to be figuring, so until he does, it is best not to have him here, that's all."

He also discussed the Stephen Ireland situation. So on one hand Trap wants Ireland, an attacking midfielder, to come back to the squad yet on the other hand Reid, an attacking midfielder, is omitted as Trap doesn't want to change the system. That hypocracy plus the fact that Keane isn't going to be replaced by another player (presumably for fear of emphasising Reid's exclusion), would be laughable if we weren't stuck for talented players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

S. Ireland is more of a box-to-box player now. They prob see A. Reid as a 'luxury' player ala Riquelme ...just not as good.

If we brought our minds back to the Germany game last year at Croker when Andy Reid ran the show against World Class opposition nobody was thinking of him as a luxury-in fact we were talking about building a team around him.

If he was dropping Andy Reid for a Stephen Reid or even Lee Carsley then it would be undertsandable but theres a guy on my sunday league team who is an excellent defensive midfielder. I still wouldn't argue his inclusion in the Ireland team even though he is the 'type' of player Trap would like.

By the way he has gone from arguing we may use Andy Reid in a 4-5-1 one day to leaving him on the bench to leaving him out of the squad so as 'not to waste his time' (the impression from the Brady interview above).

excuse my ignorance but, who da hell is westwood?

Coventry keeper. I know its customary to have 3 keepers in a squad but surely his call up is even more pointless than Andy Reid's would have been (i.e. just to sit on the bench).

cant wait to hear what dunphy has to say about reids exclusion.

• Advertisement

SofaK wrote: »
    S. Ireland is more of a box-to-box player now. They prob see A. Reid as a 'luxury' player ala Riquelme ...just not as good.

I'd even go as far as to say he sees him not so much as a luxury player talent-wise, but in terms of his engine, and ability to track back when not on the ball. I'd like to see him in the squad, but I'm probably biased re: the football he offers the current squad, but it has to be said that for all the hoopla about his ability, Reid is still only playing for a bottom tier club. There is a much stronger argument for Ireland being used if he came back.

Is it true that Hunty might be getting a runout now? Haven't seen him play since he left Rovers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

KerranJast wrote: »
    Liam Brady today ->

He also discussed the Stephen Ireland situation. So on one hand Trap wants Ireland, an attacking midfielder, to come back to the squad yet on the other hand Reid, an attacking midfielder, is omitted as Trap doesn't want to change the system. That hypocracy plus the fact that Keane isn't going to be replaced by another player (presumably for fear of emphasising Reid's exclusion), would be laughable if we weren't stuck for talented players.

Couldnt agree more,

I can't see how they can want to bring Ireland back into the fold, while saying Reid's omission is purely due to him not fitting into the system.

It is obvious something has happened between the pair, be it Reid sulking or not fitting into the system as more than just a player - Either way i wish somebody would come out and tell the truth.

What worries me is that Reid is not a regular for Sunderland anymore, now i know there is no such thing as a regular in the Sunderland squad but you know what i mean. Is it his fitness? or has Keane the same problem as Trap with him? I have been attending Sunderland games for 2 seasons now (girlfriend being a season ticket holder - not bandwagony) and although it is Sunderland, his quality has shone through anytime i have seen him play. He has controlled games when he has started, and he has changed games when he has come on - one of those must surely fit into the system?

He might not be the best at tracking back, but i think he could still fit into the current system in that i would still pick him ahead of Mcgeady in that his delivery (from play and dead balls) is 2nd to none in terms of players available to Ireland.

I could handle him not being in the starting line up, because he was on the bench as an option to come on and change the game, but for him to be totally out of the squad now for not fitting into the system? it stinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Teams in for tomorrows game. No real surprises. Traps sticking with the reserve midfielders of Whelan and Gibson. We'll probably see a raft of changes in the 2nd half.

Given(Capt)

McShane
    O'Shea
    Dunne
    Kilbane

Duff
    Gibson
    Whelan
    Keogh

Folan----Doyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Mcshane as a footballer never mind specifically a RB gives me the willys...I'm pretty sure nay certain even I could do a better job (and I'd only ask for a fraction of the wages he's on *for starters*)

yea if s.finnan isnt in the team for our qualifiers, its bye bye world cup id say! he is a disaster, mcshane.
    hope there is some sort of atmosphere at the game 2mro. Ireland matches recently-crowd chants and atmosphere have been poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Probably be more atmosphere from the "Away" support!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Why do we always name our squad early? It's pointless, and gives the opposition a (slight) advantage.

Strange decision to start Folan, who hasn't even been coming off the bench at Hull in recent games.
    Would have liked to have seen Daryl Murphy given a chance, or even Noel Hunt ahead of Folan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Let's be honest it's a piss-poor squad selection and a piss-poor line-up. No Reid, no Delap. Laughable. Delap makes Stoke's first team while Whelan is a bench warmer and yet Whelan makes our first team and Delap can't even warm our bench. I'm wondering if the old guy has lost the plot.

McShane was utter sh*te the last time he played right-back and why is Andy Keogh being used wide on the left?

Folan starting up front is a joke as well.

We should use the best players available and play them in their proper positions. We'll be lucky to scrape a draw tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Dunne's wife has gone into labour and could miss the match. If he does, it could be that McShane is moved into the centre of defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Let's be honest it's a piss-poor squad selection and a piss-poor line-up. No Reid, no Delap. Laughable. Delap makes Stoke's first team while Whelan is a bench warmer and yet Whelan makes our first team and Delap can't even warm our bench. I'm wondering if the old guy has lost the plot.
    In fairness, Stoke are route 1 team while Whelan thrives in a football team. I thought he was excellent in Georgia and Montenegro (and 1st half vs Norway) at making the quick simple pass. I know he's been playing very much as a holding midfielder for us but I think his strengths are more on the ball than off it. Certainly starting off at Sheffield Wednesday he was more a deep lying playmaker than a Carsley type holding midfielder.

Can't really get too excited about this game at all. Hopefully Gibson can come out of his shell and be a bit more dynamic. He said he didn't play well against Cyprus but didn't play badly, and the most important thing was that he did what the manager told him. Steven Reid also had the same role to do and came out of it looking very much like a playmaker. Gibson needs to get on the ball more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ireland and Stoke play different systems

• Advertisement
Advertisement