Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

selling a 06' diesel in 2-3 years time

Options
  • 10-11-2008 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭

hi,

If i buy a 06 diesel now im kinda screwed when looking to sell it in 2-3 years as ill be competing with 08 cars that can use the motor tax co2 based system. This is likely to have a huge impact on the car market, do you reckon people will hang on to their cars longer due to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

jon1981 wrote: »
    hi,

If i buy a 06 diesel now im kinda screwed when looking to sell it in 2-3 years as ill be competing with 08 cars that can use the motor tax co2 based system. This is likely to have a huge impact on the car market, do you reckon people will hang on to their cars longer due to this?

Previous experience suggests that an 06 diesel (or petrol) will be worthless in 2012 anyway! A 2008 will be just as worthless in 2014!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,367 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes I wouldnt do it. There are lots of lovely cars out there now that just dont make sense until you can get them on an 08 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes I wouldnt do it. There are lots of lovely cars out there now that just dont make sense until you can get them on an 08 plate.

thats the thing i could a nice 06 bmw (320d), the difference in tax between and 08 and 06 is unreal due to the two systems.the second hand car market isnt going to pick up anytime soon for larger engine size cars.

thats the thing i could a nice 06 bmw (320d), the difference in tax between and 08 and 06 is unreal due to the two systems.the second hand car market isnt going to pick up anytime soon for larger engine size cars.

Who would buy an 07 520d when it costs about 600 to tax and the 08 is 150. If you give that car a useful life of about 15 years and if this system is to stay the same, the purchase price would have to take into account the additional tax cost over the whole life of the car not just the few years you keep it as you would have to sell it cheaper also due to the tax so 450 x 15 = €6750 in additional tax. The car is also a year older than an 08 model. So if you can buy a new 520d for 45,000 or a used 08 for nearer 40,000, the 07 would only be worth 30,000 really but I havent seen then offered for that kind of money yet.
    A 520d would have cost 50,000 + under old system so crazy losses there just because it is a clean car. Penalise the environmentally friendly people who bought a clean car earlier and give a boost to the boy racers who brought in evos etc before the change... thats the green way I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What is the difference in tax? €400pa? Compared to depreciation, that's buttons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

around 600, could be the cost of a service :D

Anan1 wrote: »
    What is the difference in tax? €400pa? Compared to depreciation, that's buttons.

Its far from buttons as the car with expensive tax with depreciate at a much quicker rate although saying that if OP could buy his 06 320d at its true value allowing for the extra tax, he would then be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Bear in mind that when you're selling your '06 car in 2011, you won't be competing against 2008 cars, you'll only be competing against other '06 cars (and maybe very low mileage '05s and very high mileage '07s).

People buy with a budget and a size/spec/make requirement. There'll be several grand between your car and any '08s that are on sale at the same time.

I think the only people who really need to worry are people who are buying a '07 car that came down significantly (in price or road tax) in '08.

Advertisement