Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas exams

Options
  • 10-11-2008 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

Heya all im a first year and some friends and i were talking today and were wondering about some things like

is the maths exam the same kinda format as the leaving do you get a choice of questions etc

Wha happens if you fail one of your exams and so on

Just wondering if anyone could clear thes up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

In terms of the exam format - your past exam papers from that course should be on SIS Student Web. In my experience though, maths exams tend to have a relatively limited choice (quite frequently they were 4 questions do 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If you fail by a small margin (E grade, 35-39%) but do well in all your other modules you can pass by compensation.

If you get an F then you have to repeat the module next year and pay the module fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭IceICEbaby

Breezer wrote: »
    If you fail by a small margin (E grade, 35-39%) but do well in all your other modules you can pass by compensation.

If you get an F then you have to repeat the module next year and pay the module fee.

If you fail a module and have to repeat....can you change the module/subject or do you HAVE to do the same over again? that would suck!
    thanks!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

IceICEbaby wrote: »
    If you fail a module and have to repeat....can you change the module/subject or do you HAVE to do the same over again? that would suck!
    thanks!:D
    If it's a core module then no, if it's an elective module then yes, provided it's worth the same amount of credits, but you'll have to pay a higher fee than you would were you to repeat the same module.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭rg2007

If im doing arts, and if i fail my 2 sociology exams, but i don't intend to continue with it next semester or next year, whats the scéal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

rg2007 wrote: »
    If im doing arts, and if i fail my 2 sociology exams, but i don't intend to continue with it next semester or next year, whats the scéal?

The two Sociology modules this year, Intro to Sociology and Foundations of Sociological Thought, the latter is core, so ya must pass it(even by compensation). From my understanding of it all, if you fail the Intro module, you can drop it in the registration window(now open), and choose another module in its place for next semester.

But for those two modules, if you've gone to tutorials and done half decent essays, you've nearly passed anyway.

Mushy wrote: »
    The two Sociology modules this year, Intro to Sociology and Foundations of Sociological Thought, the latter is core, so ya must pass it(even by compensation). From my understanding of it all, if you fail the Intro module, you can drop it in the registration window(now open), and choose another module in its place for next semester.

But for those two modules, if you've gone to tutorials and done half decent essays, you've nearly passed anyway.

yeah, theres the problem, i went to about half the tutorials, did the essays, but didnt bother handing them up.... intro i get and i could do alright in, mostly because the stuff you learn is relevant, but foundations ive been lost since marx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Foundations is a bollox. Dreading that exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Key-Connors

im doing the two sociology modules too. iv done the essays and gone to all seminars so i have about forty percent already out of the 50% in each. iv been working all last week so am pretty screwed for the exams so my question is do you hav to pass the exam on its own, or is it ok if i were to get 20 or thirty percent and end up wit like fifty percent in total even if i fail the exams?

SRFC90 wrote: »

i should start cramming.

• Advertisement

yeah, theres the problem, i went to about half the tutorials, did the essays, but didnt bother handing them up.... intro i get and i could do alright in, mostly because the stuff you learn is relevant, but foundations ive been lost since marx

Why would you do the essays and not hand them up?

The Intro one, as much as I loved it, is so vague, and can easily be bluffed. But with going to halfthe tutorials, you've like 12%, then lost 30% cos of no essay...yeah you can bluff, but not that much.

For Foundations lads, just learn the main theories of each person. Marx: Alienation is key, Durkheim ones can include suicide and beuracracy, for Weber, well, its all about interaction between people, so society grows from the bottom up, the other two is from top-down. Marx has the economic base which leads to political and legal superstructure.

Are any of ye considering taking it on into 2nd year?

EDIT: Forgot to say, to study for these, go through past papers, and write out an outline of how you'd answer the question in an exam. Not that many past papers, would only take a few minutes, and is good starting point for what topics to study.

Mushy wrote: »
    Why would you do the essays and not hand them up?

The Intro one, as much as I loved it, is so vague, and can easily be bluffed. But with going to halfthe tutorials, you've like 12%, then lost 30% cos of no essay...yeah you can bluff, but not that much.

For Foundations lads, just learn the main theories of each person. Marx: Alienation is key, Durkheim ones can include suicide and beuracracy, for Weber, well, its all about interaction between people, so society grows from the bottom up, the other two is from top-down. Marx has the economic base which leads to political and legal superstructure.

Are any of ye considering taking it on into 2nd year?

EDIT: Forgot to say, to study for these, go through past papers, and write out an outline of how you'd answer the question in an exam. Not that many past papers, would only take a few minutes, and is good starting point for what topics to study.

cheers man, dont ask me why i didnt hand them up, i left it too last minute, and didnt think itd be worth it, tis my own fault and i dont mind too much if i have to repeat, taking up sociology was a bad choice, it just aint for me

cheers man, dont ask me why i didnt hand them up, i left it too last minute, and didnt think itd be worth it, tis my own fault and i dont mind too much if i have to repeat, taking up sociology was a bad choice, it just aint for me

Ah right...you'll prob have to repeat Foundations only, can substitute Intro. If you're in Library in ucd, look for the book 'Marx, Durkheim, Weber' by Ken Morrison. Its your core textbook, and very good for basics of their main theories. You don't even need to read it all, just go through the main theories as mentioned above.

right so i need a mid c in the exam to be in with a pass. cant be too bad, looking at the past exams they all seem to be the same topics every year, and they're very broad, i could be alright:cool: .... hmm wouldnt mind substituting it for another geography module, if i fail the intro, do you know if i can do another module in place of it next semester?

right so i need a mid c in the exam to be in with a pass. cant be too bad, looking at the past exams they all seem to be the same topics every year, and they're very broad, i could be alright:cool: .... hmm wouldnt mind substituting it for another geography module, if i fail the intro, do you know if i can do another module in place of it next semester?

Get cracking then...its not that difficult.

Yeah, you should be able to replace it next semester. Someone else may be able to better clarify this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IsoldeChemistry

Just wondering does anyone know what the position is if you're too sick to take an exam? Can't find details on the Assessments page and left my long time role as lurker to ask the experts here!

Dosed with a really bad flu all week and worried I won't be fit to sit my first exam on Thursday. Is my only option to do a re-sit next semester and if so am I right in thinking that the grades on same are capped?

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

Just wondering does anyone know what the position is if you're too sick to take an exam? Can't find details on the Assessments page and left my long time role as lurker to ask the experts here!

Dosed with a really bad flu all week and worried I won't be fit to sit my first exam on Thursday. Is my only option to do a re-sit next semester and if so am I right in thinking that the grades on same are capped?

Thanks in advance.

you've to resit it next semester, but your grade won't be capped as far as i know. You've never sat the exam so they treat it as the first time you'll take the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

You'll also need a doctor's cert to state its a flu and not just a bad cold, you need some certification afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

when in the summer are the resits for semester 1, are they with the semester 2 exams or the semester 2 resits?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

They're with your normal semester 2 exams so it's better not to fail and you won't have more than 6 exams to be doing as it could impact on the results of those exams

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

SRFC90 wrote: »

Why oh why oh why did I choose sociology?????!!!!!

Advertisement