Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lg Renoir - Any good?

• 10-11-2008 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Just saw the Lg Renori in 3 shop today and it looks great. Currently with Meteor but out of contract and they dont have any decent phones so thinking of porting to 3. Is 3 a better network than Meteor,should I stay? Appreciate any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Im with 3 and never had any problems. Coverage is always good and price plan better than when I was with Meteor. CC can be a pain to deal with but thankfully Ive not had any major problems with them. They are best value for data out of the networks. Go onto comreg site and you can compare all the network price plans. This will give you an indication of whether it will be worth you time moving or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

they are great value, especially if you know other people on 3 as you can call the free.

however, my contract is up and im moving networks as i was samsung omnia, bb storm or iphone..not that impredded with the lg renoir..have a lg viewty and touch screen isnt that responsive at time and the reviews say the renoir isnt much better in that regard..bb storm out 2mo so we will see, but id say the iphone will win..was playing with one today and its just oozes quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I brought back Renoir and swapped for the c905 which is a much better phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Oh, what was wrong with the Renoir if you dont mind me asking? I thoght it was a solid looking phone and camera is meant to be better than sony ericsson c905.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I thought the onscreen keyboard was too small but i've big hands...you've a 14 days no quibble money back gurantee with any 3 phone, I'd try it out and if your not into it you could always swap it for a C905....
    It your into high tech phones i'd definatley recommend three....their relax plans are very flexible....

A lot of people give out about 3 customer service in India....my advice, buy it in Ireland off an Irish Person and you've got some comeback....save €20 by buying online from India and you could regret it if you have a problem...

• Advertisement

This 14days money back thing, does that mean if you sign up on contract you can get out of it too? That be interesting. How is the SonyEricsson phone for ya drunkmonkey? Wifi any good on it?

14 day money back is for both pre pay and bill pay.

+1 on the money back guarantee from 3 - I've used that twice.

Anyway, I wanted to get a touch phone and the Renoir seemed to fill the bill. It is a really nice phone but the downsides that made me decide against were:

* The touch interface is awkward at times especially with the landscape keyboard. Sometimes it was very nice but a lot of the time it was irritating.
    * The browser zooming is often crap and adjusts itself unsuitably which is a shame with the large screen size that I'd hoped for better browsing.
    * It only has google maps for the GPs which means no navigation which I'm used to
    * It takes an undue amount of time to open the image gallery when you have many photos and slow to scroll.
    * Video recording kept stopping on me after a few seconds
    * The camera takes ages to start up making it more difficult to capture off-the-cuff photos.
    * The OS means limited support for additional applications.
    * The customizable front screen is little more than a gimmick as you can't cram in a lot.

The reasons why I'm going to keep the C905 are:
    * Superb camera - with quick startup
    * Wayfinder navigation - not as nice looking as my N95 nokia maps but it actually has up to date maps unlike nokias.
    * Very fast user interface.
    * Web browser on Wifi is lightening fast - this was my favourite.
    * Track-id is cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Slightly OT but does anyone know what happens to these phones after they get returned ?

They get refurbished, reflashed with 3UK software are are sold over there. Refurbished handsets are a big seller in the UK

• Advertisement

Hmmm, must look into the SonyEricsson one now!! Damn ye I was set on Renoir but now with the screen a bit iffy. Wifi is a big must for me and like a decent camera. Had sony before and thought they were good.

I left my Renoir back in immaculate condition with the stickers still on. Bar the box sticker you wouldn't know that anyone had it.

DonFred wrote: »
    Damn ye I was set on Renoir but now with the screen a bit iffy

that all depends on what your comparing it to(iphone is the best touchscreen but is one of the worst specked phones) the renior is cutting edge , it dosen't have much competition....I only had the renior for a weekend, if I had it a couple of weeks longer and if it was my first touchscreen i'd probably be well impressed....

I'm knocking it for not having as large a querty keyboard as the viewty and for not feeling as safe to drop.....other than that I think it's a pretty cool phone...if I didn't have the viewty last year i'd probably by the renior this year....

Whats the Viewty like to have? Thats cheap to buy, kinda like that too.. Say camera is decent on it.

nice big screen, excellent camera, slow motion video is a bit of a laugh, it's fine for surfing the internet and it's not very fragile....I like it....I paid renior money for mine when it came out, there giving it away now for pennys with a bill, still a very decent phone....spare battery is must if your going to be talking on it a lot....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

drunkmonkey, what meteor bill-pay upgrade should i get?
    ps sorry for thread jacking

metalfest wrote: »
    drunkmonkey, what meteor bill-pay upgrade should i get?
    ps sorry for thread jacking

No comment, I can't be seen to be promoting meteor, i'm with 3 Boy OH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ruark

I have personally had nothing but problems and troubles from 3.

I definately would never recommend 3 mobile ever, not to anyone their staff in the Blanchardstown branch lied continually about the phone I received and the price plan including the roaming rates which are the most expensive of all the providers, I was landed with a €550 bill after being in South Africa for 4 days, now if the staff at the store had not lied and I had gone with Meteor like I wanted to my bill would have been a third of the cost from 3, I have sent at the least 15 emails to management and to customer service with no response whatsoever in regards to staff conduct.
    All I can say is if you go with 3 make sure that everything that you are told is the absolute truth.

Ruark wrote: »
    I have personally had nothing but problems and troubles from 3.

I definately would never recommend 3 mobile ever, not to anyone their staff in the Blanchardstown branch lied continually about the phone I received and the price plan including the roaming rates which are the most expensive of all the providers, I was landed with a 550 bill after being in South Africa for 4 days, now if the staff at the store had not lied and I had gone with Meteor like I wanted to my bill would have been a third of the cost from 3, I have sent at the least 15 emails to management and to customer service with no response whatsoever in regards to staff conduct.
    All I can say is if you go with 3 make sure that everything that you are told is the absolute truth.
    What exactly did the lie to you about?

• Advertisement

And what has your post about 3 got to do with the LG Renoir, why are you posting in this thread?

Sorry about that walkman I got a bit side tracked while writing,
    I have found the Renoir a very user friendly phone, I have always been a fervent fan of Nokia and this is the first time I have evr had anything but a Nokia and nust say I am very impressed with all the feautures on the renoir, my only 2 negatives about the phone is the mirror finish which makes it a little difficult to see in the broad daylight and the reaction of the interface is a little slow, other than that well I am sold 100% on the Renoir all in all a relly up to date and up to Tech mobile

Is the camera worth the hype, is there mush differemce betweem that and a 5mp or even 3.2mp??

I think the camera and its new feautres are definately worth the hype, 8 Megapixel well I dont really think there is much of a difference between 5 and 8 Mega Pixel, saying that I do find the pictures taken on the New 8 Megapixel are much sharper, touchshot is just great. usefull fast tool for quick shots close ups, Schneider-Kreuznach certified optics, on something this size your optics wont get much better than this, auto and manual focus, now this is what I have been looking for, a real manual with all you can do on a standard manual camera,and of course the sensitivity all up to 1600 ISO,

For the person who is looking 4 a little more than in the photographic department then this is definately the phone for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Lunabu

I've had my Renoir for just over a week now and am very happy with it. (Also with the 3 network). I got in touch with them when I received the phone without the memory card; the situation has now been rectified and I have my 8GB memory card:)
    Texting has taken me a little while to get used to. Still not sure if I prefer "regular" texting, T9 or the Querty keyboard. Probably the Querty keyboard which is easy to use with the stylus. But as I'm used to touch typing on my computer, I have to search for the letters on the Renoir Querty keyboard. Will get faster though, I reckon.
    Tone quality is good and so is the music player. I'd be happier if the ringing volume was a bit louder, but then again, you probably can't have it all.
    The camera seems fine (I also have an 8.1 megapixel Sony camera, so I'm used to good quality pictures), but I haven't had a chance to take many pictures yet or to upload them to my laptop as I'm one of the many people who went "up North" for a couple of days for some serious shopping.
    Battery seems to last ok for me and appears to be better than that of my Nokia E65 which I used for 10 months before the Renoir.
    Like Ruark, I've been a Nokia user for several years and couldn't imagine using a different brand, but what Nokia have on the market at present, doesn't impress me much and I fancied having a touch screen phone.
    No regrets so far and happy I bought the Renoir. A little soft case would've been a good accessory. I've adapted a soft leather spectacle case to protect the screen of the phone; it's not bulky and does the trick. (Yeah, I know cases are totally uncool, but I'd rather have a phone without scratches on the screen:P)

Advertisement