Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat navs?

• 10-11-2008 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one. What do you all recommend? I wont be using it all the time so dont plan on spending too much! Saw the TomTom One in Tesco last week for €80 which i was considering getting. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's a dedicated forum here, but personally I think Garmin are great. I've no experience of TomTom ones though, but I don't like the re-branded PDA type interfaces which I have used briefly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Thanks for that, i didnt realise there was a GPS board!!!

Could a mod move my thread please?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Tom Toms units with mapshare are the best IMO. You see a mistake , you change it , everyone benefits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

the one from tesco is great, got one and it does the job perfectly for me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

My brother has the Tom Tom One classic which I think is the one in tesco. They are pretty good, especially for that price. Getting one myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The Tom Tom One(Europe) are entry level and are perfect for what you need.

There is not much point IMO getting the Tom Tom 720 with a remote control and you can use it as an MP3 player. Its ok if you want all that stuff.

Tom Tom One Europe V1 is the original and perfectly fine. Make sure you get map version 7.2.1 because then you wont have to pay for upgrades like with Garmin and other makes.

Get one on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.ie/BRAND-NEW-TOMTOM-ONE-V4-TRAFFIC-UK-IRELAND-TOM-TOM_W0QQitemZ160297453793QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item160297453793&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I only used Garmin and really liked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

I bought the tomtom one Europe from tesco's last week for 99euros.
    Seems like a good little unit, mapping for 22 European countries, map share and is nice and small. I've no need for bluetooth or mp3 so this fitted the bill nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Might have gone a bit overboard but I bought a Garmin Nuvi 770 from dabs.ie last week for €320. It has north american maps, bluetooth and loads more stuff I probably will never use.

Price is pretty ok though as the Nuvi 775 is out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I went a bit mad earlier when i was in Carrackmines and bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 for €120!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,675 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bryn wrote: »
    Could a mod move my thread please?

Done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭mossie

koolkid wrote: »
    Tom Toms units with mapshare are the best IMO. You see a mistake , you change it , everyone benefits

Mapshare is a good idea but the teleatlas maps are so poor in rural areas you could spend all your time updating. I have an ongoing issue with Tomtom over why teleatlas supplies google maps with maps which show most townland while Tomtom (which owns teleatlas) has no townlands on it's maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Neilw wrote: »
    I bought the tomtom one Europe from tesco's last week for 99euros.
    Seems like a good little unit, mapping for 22 European countries, map share and is nice and small. I've no need for bluetooth or mp3 so this fitted the bill nicely.

that sounds excellent, Im going to try pick one of these up today!! Can anyone tell me of any tescos in dublin that are actually selling them? Ill try Maynooth anyway, but if anyone can tell me whereabouts they bought them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

I bought a TomTom One on www.pixmania.com for €152, including express 24hr delivery. Its for the whole of Europe. Alot cheaper than the TomTom One in Tesco, at €189 for UK and ROI only.

Advertisement