Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beijing/Moscow Hostels/Hotels

• 10-11-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are doing the Trans Mongolian trip, starting in Moscow and finishing in Beijing.

Just looking to see if anyone had any recommendations for a decent hostel/hotel in Moscow and Beijing (ones with private rooms). I have been looking at Kellys Courtyard and Leo Hostel in Beijing, has anyone stayed in these?
    I havent seen any that I like in Moscow, so any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

T

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Hope you don't in me piggybacking on your thread!

I'm doing this trip in Jan from Beijing to Moscow (and then to St Petersburg).

Any advice appreciated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭Tazzer

Hi Chriteb.

dont mind your hyjacking my thread at all...

we are not going till may/june, so im soo jealous of you going now.

And you can tell me all about it when you get back!

are you flying from dublin? or somewhere else. who did you book your flights with?

T

Hi there,

Actually just booked this very minute! Through trailfinders with Lufthansa - total damage to Beijing and home from St Petersburg was €672 - not too bad for relatively short notice. Flying from Dublin alright. I was actually thinking of booking direct myself, you can get to Beijing with AirChina and back from St Petersburg with AirBaltic, but it's a bit of extra hassle, and I think Airchina only go from Heathrow and not Dublin.

At the mo going on my own but hopefully I'll manage to convince a buddy to some with - either way it's be fantastic. Although -20 degrees in Irkutsk - BRRRRRR!!!!!

Keep in touch though - I'm sure I'll try to keep the blog updated with reports etc :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hey! I didn't stay in the Leo Hostel in beijing, but I popped in to see what it was like! I remember it being pretty cold (temperature wise!) and basic, but there was a gorgeous courtyard in the centre, and a good atmosphere! I also recall it was in a really cool area, among the old traditional Chinese streets!

You'll love Beijing! It's a great city, but watch out for scammers trying to sell you stuff and bring you to tea-ceremonies, and art exhibitions. A good rule is if they approach you and speak really good english, then it's probably a scam! The regular Beijing-ers are modest and shy, and are very genuine! A must do is the Jinshangling to Simatai trek on the Great Wall - avoid Badaling like the plague unless you like being hemmed in by Japanese and Chinese tour groups!

Hmm, me jealous!

thanks Glowing for your advise - where did you stay? Is Leo Hostel central enough?

Christeb- didnt think of booking through trailfinders..option though.

I was going to book Air Baltic from dublin to moscow (connecting flight in Riga) for approx €205 and then get a flight from Beijing - havent found out about those yet.

T

• Advertisement

Hi Tazzer - yeah you've got plenty of time to do some shopping around. Did you think of goiung from St Petersburg while you're there? It's only another train trip overnight and would almost be a shame not to take it in when you're so (relatively) close. AND AirBaltic flights should be cheaper to there.

Just doing my visas now - more complicated than you'd think!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Tazzer wrote: »
    thanks Glowing for your advise - where did you stay? Is Leo Hostel central enough?

No we didn't stay there, I think they were full. We stayed in a IYH place, good location but a bit devoid of character so I wouldn't recommend it above Leo.

Beijing is so bloody big, that it doesn't really have a 'centre' as such, but the Leo place was grand as far as I remember ... I'd say you should go with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jimmy81

Can recommend Napoleon Hostel in Moscow and Sitting On The City Walls Hostel in Beijing. You can book them both through www.hostelworld.com/

Napoleon is a bit rough and ready but its clean and safe and to be honest you arent going to find much better in Moscow unless you pay a fortune for a hotel. As for Sitting On The Walls, read the reviews on hostelworld and you can make your own mind up!

Trans Mongolian is class by the way, just make sure to stock up on teh vodka in Moscow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Stayed in Comrade Hostel in Moscow, great location (10 mins walk to Red Square) but was slightly ruined by getting eaten by mozzies, in Russia, in bloody November!
    Abundance of great, clean and really cheap hostels in Beijing, we stayed in Wanfuijing hostel, more hotel than hostel with queen sized dorm beds, and spotless rooms/showers for 4/5 euro per night.

If you have a bit of flexibility buy your tickets when you get to Russia, we did it in 3 legs and total cost was less than 240e, another Irish couple we met paid 400+ for first leg alone from agency. Also traveling 3rd class (plaskartney) is way more interesting, in terms of meeting locals etc. and is half price of 2nd (kupe) class.
    Finally, if you can, stop in Mongolia for as long as you can afford, its an amazing place.

christeb wrote: »
    Hope you don't in me piggybacking on your thread!

I'm doing this trip in Jan from Beijing to Moscow (and then to St Petersburg).

Any advice appreciated!

Hi Christeb

Just wondering if you are back yet....or are you still travelling?

How was/is it? Any stories to report back.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement