Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve

Options
  • 10-11-2008 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭

Hi all,

After a couple of years away I've decided that I'm going to spend New Years in Dublin this year.

Has anyone witnessed the fireworks at midnight? If so, where are they and where do you reckon the best view is from. Also, I'm thinking about pubs / bars / clubs and the entry tickets. Is there anywhere that we could pay into about 8pm and then come midnight step out and see the fireworks then head back indoors?

I'm presuming the fireworks will be close to O'Connell Bridge so Temple Bar is the obvious choice I guess.

Also, is there any nightbuses that night?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

er..................fireworks?

are there fireworks on NYE in Dublin ?

I thought everyone just head to Christchurch for the bells

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

er..................fireworks?

are there fireworks on NYE in Dublin ?

I thought everyone just head to Christchurch for the bells

I thought the same thing

Fireworks in dublin on NE??????????????????? :confused::confused:

The bells in christchurch or whatever bar/party your in and Radio one for the countdown is more standard.

There are nightbuses in Dublin called the nitelinks check www.dublinbus.ie for more info they run from midnight every half hour until 4:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

NYE in Dublin is terrible.
    Lots of pubs / clubs close, and other charge in a stupid cover charge.
    Can be tough as heck getting a taxi home too.
    THere's just no decent area to congregate in to ring in the new year, unlike so many big cities.

I'd head to a house party or just stay in if I were you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

House Party is definitely the way to go on New Year's Eve in Dublin.

I don't think there's any good fireworks or public celebration a la New York done here.

(Unless you count public vomiting, copulation and fighting a celebration!)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

whiskeyman wrote: »
    NYE in Dublin is terrible.
    Lots of pubs / clubs close, and other charge in a stupid cover charge.
    Can be tough as heck getting a taxi home too.
    THere's just no decent area to congregate in to ring in the new year, unlike so many big cities.

I'd head to a house party or just stay in if I were you!

Houseparty or go to a hotel, usually myself and a few others head down the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

TBH nearly everybody gets out of Dublin on NYE, last time I stayed up most places were half empty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Thanks everyone.

Looks like it will be a night in a restaurant / bar with friends somewhere around the city centre.

It's a shame Dublin doesn't do fireworks when you compare it to cities around the world. Look at Edinburgh and London for their fireworks. Edinburgh isn't exactly a big city either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just do what we all do: shoehorn yourself into one of the pubs that won't charge you to get in, dodge drunks and other nuts all night, and head up to ChristChurch for the bells; bump into at least 5 dicks that you have avoided all year, before walking almost 5 miles out of town to find a taxi. :pac:

Advertisement