Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick aquarium filter question

Options
  • 10-11-2008 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi all, Ive just set up an aquarium for tropical fish in my bedroom. (I live in rented accomodation with 3 others and so it's the best place to keep it). My question is do I need to have the filter running constantly or can I plug it out at night (and get some sleep)? If I do plug it out will it affect the heater i.e. does water need to be constantly circulating. The filter would be off for 8 hours approx.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure you will need to keep it on? Do some filters not also oxygenate the water or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

The filters must run 24/7 in order for the bacteria to live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭molly(",)

yes leave it on all the time but to be honest had a few tanks myself and the filters were never that loud are u sure its not an air pump which sits outside the tank??

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Yes, the filter needs to run 24/7/365 in your tank. The beneficial bacteria would die otherwise. In the same way, if you have a long power cut (more than 2hrs), you need to organise something to keep the oxygen going through the filter.
    If it's particularly noisy, check that the filter isn't vibrating against the side of the tank or something. A 'normal' filter hums gently, it should be too noisy.
    The heater doesn't make any noise and I would also recommend you keep it plugged in.
    The lights can be switched off though :-)

Hope this helps.
    ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭jonnyj

Thats great thanks for your help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement