Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Internal/Eternal Megadeth Vs. Metallica War

• 10-11-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭

So I was wondering if anyone has a side. Studio wise, I would have to say that while Metallica's first 4 albums really trample on anything Megadeth have produced, their recent output has suffered considerably when compared to the likes of System Has Failed.

Megadeth have never had the stability that Metallica have had, but even with that, Mustaine has managed to produce records that constantly perform and do what it says on the tin.

Since 1999 Metallica have seemed to try and recapture their glory days, and failed, because they cannot seem to realise that that glory only came from them being 20 somethings who didn't really try and impress and couldnt give two ****s what the music press taught of them.

Live, Metallica still hold a strong card, and Mustaine is always reliable live, even if his ensemble sometimes lets him down. Currently, he has a great drummer, and long may Shawn Drover remain in the ranks of Megadeth. Personally though I think Mustaine will never compete with the energy of a live Metallica show - least of all because he will prob never get the chance to play to the same number of crowds on a headlining tour.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭apoch632

While I would agree that they are a little bit better I would hardly say that the first 4 trample on Peace Sells and Rust in Peace. The Metallica albums probably just edge them but those two are still two of the most definitive metal albums ever made.

The core of megadeth was always Ellefson and Mustaine. Ellefson was there from 1984-2002. Marty was in there a long time as well. It is only in recent years it has gone back like the early days with many guitarists.

No mustaine doesnt draw the crowds that Metallica does. But what other metal band besides Maiden can draw a crowd that size.

Just one thing more. **** this "war". Its really something that has been done to death. Each band in their own way has made a significant contribution to the metal scene. Its okay to like both bands

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Neither has produced anything of note since the early 90s except an odd song here and there.
    2 redundant bands nowadays.
    Saw both bands live in their prime and thought Megadeth were better live. Less frills , less solos and **** on stage - metal as it should be.
    Today for me no-one wins this war just 2 losers both as bad as the next.
    Megadeth are rehashing the same thing for years now- Metallica have started rehashing And Justice for all because they failed miserably at changing direction and becoming a "Rock" band.
    Look at any Metallica set list in the past 10 years -mostly old stuff from the 80s.
    Nothing wrong with them rehashing stuff but anyone that tells me their recent albums are relevant or good is deluding themselves and there are plenty of people here who will - check out the "Death Magnetic" thread where anyone that questioned Metallica were rounded on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I never really saw it as a war. I liked both bands as a young lad and I still do. Even if both are a bit beyond their prime, they still have quite an impressive back catalogue to listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

^^ Exactly.

I like both bands so I win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭ZakAttak

Metallica were the better band, but Mustaine was the better musician/artist; shame he was such an awful cvnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Prefer Metallica by a long shot, they had that magic ingredient which made their songs stand out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

ZakAttak wrote: »
    Metallica were the better band, but Mustaine was the better musician/artist; shame he was such an awful cvnt.

What he said. To be fair, Megadeth were pretty much Mustaine/Ellefson and a revolving door of musicians until Ellefson (not sure if it's spelt correctly here, excuse me), finished up after the original splut. Now it's just Mustaine and a revolving door of musicians. Musically I think Metallica have aged less gracefully whereas Megadeth's actually got better during the mid 90s, it just never reached the commercial success that Metallica achieved.

But it's Metal, so therefore commercial success doesn't mean jack sh*t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

I like both bands, though more so Metallica. I think Megadeath still sound like Guns N' Roses did in the late 80's. Thats a good thing if I want to keep listening to the same stuff but I don't know that many bands I listen to that haven't innovated somewhat. I think that the problem with Megadeth is Mustaine. He is an amateurish, childish person (based on what I have seen and read) and I think that detracts from his persona and what I think of him.

I don't have much respect for Metallica either (the individual members, except Trujillo for Degredation Trip with Jerry Cantrell) but Metallica don't need a personality, they are the best metal band of all time and at the end of the day they are brilliant song writers and musicians.
    Since 1999 Metallica have seemed to try and recapture their glory days, and failed,

1) You clearly have neglected listening to Death Magnetic. There are songs from that album that are more early Metallica (Kill 'Em All era) than any of the rest of their albums. 'My Apocalypse' and 'That Was Just Your Life' being typical examples.
    because they cannot seem to realise that that glory only came from them being 20 somethings who didn't really try and impress and couldnt give two ****s what the music press taught of them.

2) Seeing as their most successful album sold 22 million copies while they were past their 20's and when they were at their most commercial I don't think you are anywhere near correct. Talking nickels and dimes here; they made far more money and were far more commercially successful in their 30's than they were in their 20's...

If you prefer their 80's stuff and don't like their later stuff then that's understandable and I would feel similarly myself, but what you are saying is not correct.

Am i the only one still left feeling somewhat empty after listening to Death Magnetic? It hasn't done a lot for me at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Mods can we please ban this topic, seriously its been done maybe 20 times in the last 12 months and it always turns out ugly. Both bands are great, both bands are different, get over it. And even if your a die hard megadeth fan who thinks there better(like me) it doesnt make a difference cause metallica are and always will be more "popular" therefore in any discussion forum its gonna lean towards them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Patricide wrote: »
    Mods can we please ban this topic, seriously its been done maybe 20 times in the last 12 months and it always turns out ugly. Both bands are great, both bands are different, get over it. And even if your a die hard megadeth fan who thinks there better(like me) it doesnt make a difference cause metallica are and always will be more "popular" therefore in any discussion forum its gonna lean towards them.

WHAT!!!!! BUT METALLICA RIPPED ALL THEIR SONGS OF MUSTAINE!!! EVERY SINGLE NOTE, RIFF AND MELODY!!!ZOMG!!! WHY WONT PEOPLE REALISE? WHY HASN'T THIS BEEN MENTIONED BEFORE!!!! OMG!!METALLICA SUCKZ LOLZZZZZZZZ!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭DenMan

Well I one was very happy to hear that Kerry King and Dave Mustaine are talking again after so many years. Read his interview recently and it was music to my ears. Metallica became a super band and while Megadeth didn't achieve the heights of Metallica they are an awesome band imo. Megadeth are back in the big time now. Cannot fu**in wait for the tour with Priest and Testament.

DenMan wrote: »
    Well I one was very happy to hear that Kerry King and Dave Mustaine are talking again after so many years. Read his interview recently and it was music to my ears. Metallica became a super band and while Megadeth didn't achieve the heights of Metallica they are an awesome band imo. Megadeth are back in the big time now. Cannot fu**in wait for the tour with Priest and Testament.

Mustaine has really copped the f*ck on in the last five or so years, rebuilt bridges with a lot of people he clashed with over the years. Works for me, I loved United Abominations as well, for what it's worth. Knocked the spots off Saint Anger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Am i the only one still left feeling somewhat empty after listening to Death Magnetic? It hasn't done a lot for me at all.

I agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Patricide wrote: »
    Mods can we please ban this topic, seriously its been done maybe 20 times in the last 12 months and it always turns out ugly.

Just ignore it maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Nope, youre probably not the only person. Personally I still listen to it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Duffman-oohyeh

I only Kinda like megadeth, they do interest me, although i really do love metallica, i really loved their first 5 albums, the next few were only ok, still enjoyable, and again i think death magnetic kicks ass, anyone thats in a metal forum and has thinks metallica are **** has serious problems, only for the likes of Judas priest, iron maiden and metallica a lot of the bands around today wouldnt exist.

Mustaine is still finding it hard to get over the fact he was kicked outta metallica, he misses his little danish friend, lol!
    Metallica kick megadeths ass, but megadeth are realy good at the same time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Are you 12?
    Anyone that doesn't like Metallica shouldn't be on a metal forum?!
    FFS people are entitled to an opinion and there are plenty of people here that don't like Metallica. #
    ****ing fanboys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

anyone thats in a metal forum and has thinks metallica are **** has serious problems
    I don't think many people here will tell you that Metallica are crap, what they will probably say is that their output since the late eighties has gotten pretty poor although Death Magnetic is a step in the right direction.
    zenmonk wrote: »
    Are you 12?
    Anyone that doesn't like Metallica shouldn't be on a metal forum?!
    FFS people are entitled to an opinion and there are plenty of people here that don't like Metallica. #
    ****ing fanboys
    That's a bit harsh. Why say people are entitled to an opinion and then give out when someone offers theirs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Azphyxi8

Since Mustaine kicked the habit and found God, he has been taking things in a different direction. After Ellefson left, he contemplated doing things under his own name and putting Megadeth to rest. To be fair, I think that is what he should have done because "The System Has Failed" is one of the best metal albums of recent years. It was controlled completely by Mustaine but the follow up album "United Abominations" had influence from other band members and as a result was inferior.

Right now I think that Megadeth are better, in fact they are my favourite band right now, but Metallica got be into metal in the first place so the still have my respect even if the did release a couple of ****e albums.

I don't believe that Mustaine is still strugling with being kicked from Metallica, ffs it's been 25 years or so, that's enough time for anybody to get over anything.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Since I got there greatest hits,Im actually beginning to prefer megadeth to metallica.

i started a thread like this last year and regret it. no more!

Since I got there greatest hits,Im actually beginning to prefer megadeth to metallica.

Wait for the Metallica greatest hits. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Mick Shrimpton

Rockee wrote: »

Absolutely...It'll be in a tacky aluminium can, with big posters of Lars' fat ****ing head in it and I'm sure we'll all have the pleasure of paying a fortune for it.

Metallica should have called it a day a long time ago.

Absolutely...It'll be in a tacky aluminium can, with big posters of Lars' fat ****ing head in it and I'm sure we'll all have the pleasure of paying a fortune for it.

Wooo! Should be class. :D

Greatest Fits more like! :P

Greatest Fits more like! :P

Itll still p1ss over Megawhine :) This is actually an argument that has gone on since 1984 so Im done..later. Happy scrappin..;)

Itll still p1ss over Megawhine :) This is actually an argument that has gone on since 1984 so Im done..later. Happy scrappin..;)
    No, it'll be more commercially successful, but musically, it will be so inferior.
    And you know it as well!

No, it'll be more commercially successful, but musically, it will be so inferior.
    And you know it as well!

Metallica are both musically and commercially more successful :) Metalli-bashing is cool, I know, but lets face facts.

• Advertisement

Metallica are both musically and commercially more successful :) Metalli-bashing is cool, I know, but lets face facts.

I am. Metallica might have outdone Megadeth in the 80s, but in the 90s, Metallica went soft as a fresh turd while Megadeth actually strengthened musically. The only thing saving Metallica between 91-98 was their support from MTV.

Advertisement