Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Internal/Eternal Megadeth Vs. Metallica War

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I am. Metallica might have outdone Megadeth in the 80s, but in the 90s, Metallica went soft as a fresh turd while Megadeth actually strengthened musically. The only thing saving Metallica between 91-98 was their support from MTV.

..and Megadeth never used MTV for support?? MTV is just another medium for promotion. What killed Megadeth was a mixture of Dave Mustaines addictions, his rotten personality (whilst under said addictions) and the constant line up changes. Thats where Metallica sped past Megadeth. With the exception of Cliffs passing, Metallica maintained a constant recording and touring 4 piece from 1986 to 2001 so theyed have still had strong numbers of fans going to their concerts irregardless of their Black Album MTV support

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Rockee wrote: »
    ..and Megadeth never used MTV for support?? MTV is just another medium for promotion. What killed Megadeth was a mixture of Dave Mustaines addictions, his rotten personality (whilst under said addictions) and the constant line up changes. Thats where Metallica sped past Megadeth. With the exception of Cliffs passing, Metallica maintained a constant recording and touring 4 piece from 1986 to 2001 so theyed have still had strong numbers of fans going to their concerts irregardless of their Black Album MTV support

I can't dispute the majority of that, other than the fact that Megadeth did progress with their music while Metallica became somewhat stale over the past ten or so years. Sure Megadeth used MTV, however they didn't stick with a style of music that would be MTV friendly, which is why you haven't heard another Countdown, or Youthanasia. With Metallica on the other hand, Load, Reload, even I disappear were just rehashes of the black album all over again.

I'll never forget when Load came out in 1996, within a listen a lot of people had one reaction to it. the reaction being *plop!"

I can't dispute the majority of that, other than the fact that Megadeth did progress with their music while Metallica became somewhat stale over the past ten or so years. Sure Megadeth used MTV, however they didn't stick with a style of music that would be MTV friendly, which is why you haven't heard another Countdown, or Youthanasia. With Metallica on the other hand, Load, Reload, even I disappear were just rehashes of the black album all over again.

I'll never forget when Load came out in 1996, within a listen a lot of people had one reaction to it. the reaction being *plop!"

Load was fantastic, ReLoad..sub-par and St.Anger an embarassment. Metallica just went in a different direction to Megadeth. Just cos their styles were similar in the early days it doesnt necessarily mean they had to go neck and neck style wise for every album. Anyway, Metallica are back with 'Death Magnetic' and its a darn good album. :)

Funny thing is..no doubt Ill be nattering to ya at the Judas Priest/Megadeth gig in February!! 'Rust In Peace' is one of my fave all time metal albums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Sometimes it seems like Megadeth is kept down by Metallica, as Metallica's immense fame means the outfit (or Mustaine) are always swimming towards the current to try and get noticed by the fans, and although Megadeth have built up a cult fandom (especially in Europe and South America) there is a distinct ignorance of them in North America and their CDs, despite being quality material, are vastly ignored.

I mean, what is Megadeth doing on RoadRunner, come on.....

Load was fantastic, ReLoad..sub-par and St.Anger an embarassment. Metallica just went in a different direction to Megadeth. Just cos their styles were similar in the early days it doesnt necessarily mean they had to go neck and neck style wise for every album. Anyway, Metallica are back with 'Death Magnetic' and its a darn good album. :)

Funny thing is..no doubt Ill be nattering to ya at the Judas Priest/Megadeth gig in February!! 'Rust In Peace' is one of my fave all time metal albums.

My apologies for the delay in response dude. This mornings UFC saw me in bed at 6am this morning, fun show though.

I do agree with they didn't have to go neck and neck style wise, but i'm still of the opinion that the quality of Megadeth albums did improve during that time while Metallica's stayed the same. I may be in the minority on that opinion, but I also know that i'm not the only of the same opinion.

Being in the minority does have advantages, like not being part of taking Celine Dion to great heights, but that's a whole other story.

I can't get into Death Magnetic at all. I've tried. That was an album they needed to churn out five years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Im glad Mustaine was kicked out off Metallica otherwise Megadeth wouldn't exist and this thread wouldn't exist and this post wouldn't exist etc etc

They are both great bands but ill always favor Metallica because Mustaine's vocals are like listening to a cat die, that said he's done some damn good riff's which i respect.

Stev_o wrote: »
    Im glad Mustaine was kicked out off Metallica otherwise Megadeth wouldn't exist and this thread wouldn't exist and this post wouldn't exist etc etc

They are both great bands but ill always favor Metallica because Mustaine's vocals are like listening to a cat die, that said he's done some damn good riff's which i respect.

Mustaines vocals did get better from Rust In Peace onwards alright, prior to that we used to say that he sounded "like he had a vice grips on his nuts, permanently"

My apologies for the delay in response dude. This mornings UFC saw me in bed at 6am this morning, fun show though.

I do agree with they didn't have to go neck and neck style wise, but i'm still of the opinion that the quality of Megadeth albums did improve during that time while Metallica's stayed the same. I may be in the minority on that opinion, but I also know that i'm not the only of the same opinion.

Being in the minority does have advantages, like not being part of taking Celine Dion to great heights, but that's a whole other story.

I can't get into Death Magnetic at all. I've tried. That was an album they needed to churn out five years ago.

No probs sir, UFC eh?? I know a few lads into that actually!!

I dunno about 'deths albums getting better in that period. 'Cryptic Writings' and 'Risk' werent too hot for a lot of folk. They just stayed more in the 'metal' zone if you will.

Interesting what you said about Death Magnetic. The band said that without St.Anger happening 5 years ago then Death Magnetic would never have materialised.

No probs sir, UFC eh?? I know a few lads into that actually!!

Habit of a lifetime for me at this stage, never miss it.
    I dunno about 'deths albums getting better in that period. 'Cryptic Writings' and 'Risk' werent too hot for a lot of folk. They just stayed more in the 'metal' zone if you will.

Risk was horribly underrated I felt, The System Has Failed, The World Needs A Hero and United Abominations have all held their own and few of them sound similar to each other, unlike Load, Reload and self titled!
    Interesting what you said about Death Magnetic. The band said that without St.Anger happening 5 years ago then Death Magnetic would never have materialised.

Meanwhile the general consensus say that if Metallica had taken their heads out of their asses five years ago, St Anger would never have materialised! ;)

(sorry dude, couldn't resist)

Meanwhile the general consensus say that if Metallica had taken their heads out of their asses five years ago, St Anger would never have materialised! ;)

(sorry dude, couldn't resist)
    Hey Im actually with you on that one. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 myst

megadeth and metallica , you cannot compare any more, maybe 21 years ago. if dave was never in metallica would we be taliking about em like this?? both are great bands for what they are! most people getting into metallica firts but megadeth or megadave is musically better, technically better, metallica are catchier more flamboyant live today with their fireworks and runnig to different mics etc. . . megadeth has always been about the music (bar risk. . . thats another days dicussion) didnt dave say when the played the last time in the ambassodor that im not gonna talk as much so we can play more ? there is no image to dave compared to james who we all know with the with explorer, hair , no hair, beard , no beard . . . dave was always red har and a V!! both bands are great !

but Rust in Peace is the greatest metal album made!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I am. Metallica might have outdone Megadeth in the 80s, but in the 90s, Metallica went soft as a fresh turd while Megadeth actually strengthened musically. The only thing saving Metallica between 91-98 was their support from MTV.
    90/91
    metallica released metallica/the black album (what are they the beatles now?)

90 megadeth released rust in peace and 92 countdown

since then metallica have forgotten how to write metal chjrist they wore cowboy hates and sang country and western for a while

then when they tried to rember what it was like to be the band that screamed "we are metallica" all that comes to stem is rehashing mustaines mechanix and following it with the 3rd version of the song that turned them into the loved by mtv popband that they spent the 90's being

lars : i thing we should leave unforgiven off this one

record exec : sorry no , how would people know its you guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

This argument is endless!

Personally I was a huge Metallica fan years ago, I even had the snake from the black album tattooed on my back. While not a big fan anymore (but haven’t given Death Magnetic a good spin yet) that tattoo will represent a time fondly remembered in my teenage years rather than artwork itself.

I enjoyed Load and a couple of Reload but St Anger was just arse. The Napster business pissed me off too. I understand that illegal downloading affects musicians financially but it made them look like money grabbing tools( Metallica Inc). I saw them a few years back where MOP was played in full. Great gig and there is no denying they can cut the mustard live but to be honest my Metallica adoration days are long gone.

Classic Megadeth was my favourite. Music went downhill at Risk but I started listening to them again with the System has Failed which is a savage album. Mustaine has always been a pain in the hole although addictions may have enabled that more over the years. I have seen them 5 times live and only disappointed once for TWNAH tour, looking forward to seeing them again next year. At least Megadeth tickets are always a reasonable price unlike Metallica tickets.

If you asked my who was the best of the two,
    When I was 18 it was Metallica
    When I was 20 it was Megadeth.

Now there are too many other bands that attract my attention more but both bands gave my many fond memories and enjoyable gigs

Excuse my ignorance but what is the problem with Roadrunner, I thought it was a fairly prominent metal label?

Nea wrote: »
    At least Megadeth tickets are always a reasonable price unlike Metallica tickets.

Ye see, this is the point that a lot of people are missing. Metallica and Megadeth started out on roughly the same path way back in the ealy 80s but Metallica, whether you agree with their musical choices or not, are a lot more commercially successful than Megadeth. They're up there with the pulling power of the Springsteens, the Stones, U2 so yes their tickets are more expensive.

Tigger wrote: »
    90/91
    metallica released metallica/the black album (what are they the beatles now?)

That was The White Album, The Black Album was Spinal Tap! Get it right!!
    since then metallica have forgotten how to write metal chjrist they wore cowboy hates and sang country and western for a while

In their defense, most of Forclosure Of A Dream was a country song, all Mustaine was missing was the black teeth grin (see what i did there?) and a cowboy hat.
    then when they tried to rember what it was like to be the band that screamed "we are metallica" all that comes to stem is rehashing mustaines mechanix and following it with the 3rd version of the song that turned them into the loved by mtv popband that they spent the 90's being

lars : i thing we should leave unforgiven off this one

record exec : sorry no , how would people know its you guys

Bob Rock's fault, but nobody wants to get Rockee started on that ;)

Bob Rock's fault, but nobody wants to get Rockee started on that ;)

Can of whoop-ass comin your way sir! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

That was The White Album, The Black Album was Spinal Tap! Get it right!!;)

Was Spinal Tap's albums not Smell The Glove and Break Like The Wind?

Metallica's self titled album really set them apart from what they had done in the past, and as Chris Jericho (yes the wrestler) once said, people were spitting on that album at the time and going insane because this was not Metallica and it was an offence to the loyal trash fans.

Was Spinal Tap's albums not Smell The Glove and Break Like The Wind?

The former is a work of fiction, good sir. Their two actual albums are This Is Spinal Tap, and Break Like The Wind.

This Is Spinal Tap is entirely in black, although Smell The Glove was supposed to be as well, after the original artwork was rejected. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Betallica

Megadeth have more metal albums, but in overall 'Tallica owns 'em.
    (James & co. owns every band on earth, active or disbanded, no difference)

Betallica wrote: »
    Megadeth have more metal albums, but in overall 'Tallica owns 'em.
    (James & co. owns every band on earth, active or disbanded, no difference)

You're funny, kid. I like you. :)

• Advertisement

That was The White Album, The Black Album was Spinal Tap! Get it right!!

that was the point some thins seem so obvious that i didn't bother explaining

beatles changed direction copmpletley in 68 with the white album metallica followed 20 odd years later with the black album

i rember wher i was the whole week before it was released i rember the want that only a 15 year old metal head can have for his music and i rember trying desperatly to tell my self tghat it would get better if i kept listening to it

bunch of comercial crap

In their defense, most of Forclosure Of A Dream was a country song, all Mustaine was missing was the black teeth grin (see what i did there?) and a cowboy hat.

so yoer saying metallica copied megadeth?

i rember wher i was the whole week before it was released i rember the want that only a 15 year old metal head can have for his music and i rember trying desperatly to tell my self tghat it would get better if i kept listening to it

Hah, we're about the same age then! I felt exactly the same. The fact that I had spent all week listening to Puppets the week before probably didn't help it's case. I had about 4 different versions of Enter Sandman on video (video, performance at the grammys and two other live performances recorded from headbangers ball), thinking it was good at the time. It probably was, but it's aged terribly.
    so yoer saying metallica copied megadeth?

In that sense of the term yeah. Although my point to try and hammer across was the fact that both were guilty of trying the "country sound" at some points in their career.

forclosure is a class song!! countdown is a great album!! very solid!! not a band song on there!!

whats wrong with band songs

:cool:

bad . . . their is not a bad song !!!

i agree with that

yup countdown was a great album

it did (and i'm a huge megadeth fan , i met them in 92 at the westbury after the rust in peace gig in the point and ripped off my metalica back patch an all) however herald some fuzzy years

i agree with that

yup countdown was a great album

it did (and i'm a huge megadeth fan , i met them in 92 at the westbury after the rust in peace gig in the point and ripped off my metalica back patch an all) however herald some fuzzy years

That was April 1990, with Alice In Chains and The Almighty supporting when they were touring for Rust In Peace

I think you're thinking of October (maybe November) 1992 when they toured for Countdown with Pantera supporting.
    Both gigs were at The Point (god, we're so gonna miss that place much of a dive as it was!)

Pft, some huge Megadeth fan! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

I can understand people liking both bands. But in my opinion, the caliber with which a band must undertake nowadays to get the slightest fraction of recognition is far higher. On a side note, Mustaine's nasal approach to vocalisation is laughable.

I can understand people liking both bands. But in my opinion, the caliber with which a band must undertake nowadays to get the slightest fraction of recognition is far higher. On a side note, Mustaine's nasal approach to vocalisation is laughable.

mustaine has got increasingky better since Killing is my Buisness and in contrast hetfield has got consistantly worse since And Justice. . .

but now dave would be a better sing then james!! and a better song writer too!!

just compare riffs from rust in piece to any metallica riffs! it blows them outta the water!! dont get me wrong i love metallica ! but megadave just is more inventive with his ideas and riffs. his lyrics maybe ****e in alot of cases but he is by far a better musican!

• Advertisement

That was April 1990, with Alice In Chains and The Almighty supporting when they were touring for Rust In Peace

I think you're thinking of October (maybe November) 1992 when they toured for Countdown with Pantera supporting.
    Both gigs were at The Point (god, we're so gonna miss that place much of a dive as it was!)

Pft, some huge Megadeth fan! ;)

it wasc the pantera gig all right

co when i was 15 i was too drunk from drinking waiting for alice in chains to track them down

the rust in peace on was april 1st 1990 i rember people saying it had been cancelled (cos of the april fools thing~)

Advertisement