Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belkin N1 Vision or Netgear for BTIreland

Options
  • 10-11-2008 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi
    I have a BTIreland broadband package and am considering installing a wireless modem router. Aside from my pc I have an older pc, a laptop, a PS3, Psp and an ipod touch all of which would benefit from a wireless connection. In the future I would hope to stream music from my pc to my living room.

The Belkin N1 Vision looks good (I'm tempted by the display) but reading some of the reviews seems to show that they can be troublesome to set up whereas the Netgear seems to be very easy to set up.

Apparenntly BTIreland dont want to know when you are not using one of their modem/routers.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

silly1 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a BTIreland broadband package and am considering installing a wireless modem router. Aside from my pc I have an older pc, a laptop, a PS3, Psp and an ipod touch all of which would benefit from a wireless connection. In the future I would hope to stream music from my pc to my living room.

The Belkin N1 Vision looks good (I'm tempted by the display) but reading some of the reviews seems to show that they can be troublesome to set up whereas the Netgear seems to be very easy to set up.

Apparenntly BTIreland dont want to know when you are not using one of their modem/routers.

Firstly in fairness to BT (imagine me of all people being fair to BT!) you cannot expect them or any other isp to provide support for routers that they do not supply - there are thousands of them out there.

Secondly to get the benefits of the wireless 'n' standard all of your equipment would have to be kitted out with compatible 'n' cards and that could be a costly exercise as n equipment is more expensive than 'g' equipment. A 'n' router or modem/router is compatible with the 'g' standard so you could regard it as an investment for the future but you will only get g speeds until all the equipment connected is to the n standard.

Belkin have a pretty bad reputation on here generally.

So its up to you! www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk can be good for user reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 silly1

Thanks Dub45 - appreciate your comments. It kinda ties in with a nagging suspicion that I have vis a vis Belkin Modem Routers.

Also concede your point re BT.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

I have the netgear wireless n router and it does the job no problem but the N1 has had great reviews. In saying that I generally have had a nightmare with belkin products so maybe netgear or someone like linksys would be advisable

Advertisement