Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for wedding in advance?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My friend is getting married in January and is in the process of organising the wedding etc...

The hotel she has picked is asking her for the money in advance. I don't think that this is the norm when it comes to wedding planning.

For example they are charging her on the assumption that everyone will choose the more expensive dish and wine. They will refund her the difference on those who go for the cheaper option.

Is it legal to operate in this way? What should she do? Is there consumer rights she is not getting with regards the situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I'd imagine they can do what they want.. Nothing illegal about it.. and so can she..
    If she doesn't like the terms of the contract, I suggest she take her business elsewhere.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Didn't happen that way at my wedding. Sounds mad, shop around a bit and if you're not happy with this, tell them.

Also, don't be afraid to do a bit of negotiating on price after the fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

No way - thats a crazy idea. How the hell will she be able to tell who got the "more expensive" meal - ring people and ask them. She is asking for trouble if she pays them. What incentive do they have to be on their best behaviour when they are already paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

From what I can see it's only a deposit, it's is going to go against the cost of the wedding so your friend isn't going to lose anything, unless she’s not going to go ahead with the wedding (they are going to go ahead with it aren't they?)

How much in advance are they looking for?

Couple of years ago I only paid a deposit of €300 then more a week before the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Namesco wrote: »
    From what I can see it's only a deposit, it's is going to go against the cost of the wedding so your friend isn't going to lose anything, unless she’s not going to go ahead with the wedding (they are going to go ahead with it aren't they?)

How much in advance are they looking for?

Couple of years ago I only paid a deposit of €300 then more a week before the wedding.
    They want the full amount! and then some... It's just a little odd if you ask me. I would tell her to shop around but I think it's pretty much locked in that they will be going there. It's just such a strange way of doing it :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That's very wrong. No hotel asks for anything other than a deposit, with the balance paid after thew wedding. The deposit would only be in the order of 10%, or sometimes a fixed fee. Asking for that cash up front suggests to me that the hotel are in need of money, because they could be facing financial problems. If that were the case, then she should stay well away from them, as if they go under she'll lose everything.

It's more than a little odd, it's downright worrying. It's time for her to get real, and find another hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Bill-e wrote: »
    They want the full amount! and then some... It's just a little odd if you ask me. I would tell her to shop around but I think it's pretty much locked in that they will be going there. It's just such a strange way of doing it :confused:

Now that is a bit mad, I can understand looking for say a 10% deposit because of all the wedding cancellations but all upfront is a bit crazy unless the wedding is within 2 weeks and then even to look for extra seem like the hotel is badly in need of money.

(There not a member of the travelling community are they? I have seen this before alright)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

Definitely not a usual thing in business. I wouldn't give them a penny more than 10%. If the hotel goes out of business you'll join a long list of creditors. It would be a nightmare. My advice would be to call their bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

I got married this summer. Had to pay 20% deposit when we booked the hotel, 30% two weeks before the big day and the the last 50% the day after the wedding so they could calculate drinks etc...(they should also provide you with an itemised bill including drinks for you to go through before you settle the bill). Under no circumstances should your friend pay the full amount upfront. Thats ridiculous of the hotel to expect that and certainly not normal practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Hi,The hotel she has picked is asking her for the money in advance. I don't think that this is the norm when it comes to wedding planning.

Sounds like a hotel with a major cash flow problem, to me. If this has such a cash flow problem there is no guarantee that it will be operating next year.
    My advice would be to find another hotel, one that just looks for a deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Well it mightn't be open to the OP's friend to just pull out and get another venue, considering that this wedding is in 2 months time!

It does sound like the venue could be having cash flow issues, and if this is the case, the worst thing you could do is throw your wedding money at them!

Here's a bit of advice OP, tell your friend to ask them straight out what the problem is, mention that it's not normal to be asked for the payment up front and as it is a lot of money, can they explain why they require it in advance...

But before you do that, I'd suggest sending in two friends under the guise of having a meal or just turn up for a few drinks at the bar and suss the place out. See if you can get talking to someone who works there and if you can, you might be able to get a handle on the business and maybe suss out if there could be a problem on the financial front, little things like a lack of activity and staff morale, can sometimes suggest that there is a problem with the business. If you just happen to get talking to a chatty member of staff, you'll get a good insight into what is happening....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

tell your friend to check out the contract they agreed to when they booked the hotel, then tell them it is not feesable for them to pay the money up front, and that the bill will be settled after the wedding has completed as it states in the contract, if they do not agree to this advise them you will be seeking legal advise on how to proceed, but would rather have the wedding there and pay as the contract stated.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Absolutely no way!

This sounds like the hotel is in trouble. For my wedding, we paid a deposit in advance with the balance a few days after the wedding. Just as well though, the week before, we went for an unannounced family meal which was awful.

The following day, I bollocked the general manager and got an entire course added to the main meal AND the soup and sandwiches thrown in FREE.

Don't pay it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Hi,
    My friend is getting married in January and is in the process of organising the wedding etc...

The hotel she has picked is asking her for the money in advance. I don't think that this is the norm when it comes to wedding planning.

For example they are charging her on the assumption that everyone will choose the more expensive dish and wine. They will refund her the difference on those who go for the cheaper option.

Is it legal to operate in this way? What should she do? Is there consumer rights she is not getting with regards the situation?
    Of course its legal, they can do what they want. What your "friend" can do though is tell them to shove it and say, sorry lads no dice. Why pay for something you havent got up front to such a large extent? Its a consumer marketplace at the moment and if they dont like it they could tell them they'll go elsewhere. If its too late then they need to grow some balls and dictate their terms to the hotel. Its downright bullying on the hotels part if they continue with this policy. Is that a place you would want to get married? Not from what Im hearing so far. The abiding memory of the wedding day will be how the hotel screwed the happy couple :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Sizzler wrote: »
    Of course its legal, they can do what they want.
    Well, not if there's a contract already in place dictating how the payments are made. If there is, then just stick to whatever it says in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

TBH it does sound like the place is in trouble. I'd try and find out more about the financial situation of the hotel ASAP. At least if the find out now that they are about to go t*ts up, then they can start looking at another place. Instead of two weeks before the big day!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to relay this advise to my "friend"(It's not me honestly) and make sure she doesn't go forward with it. It's good to see that it's not just me who thinks this is madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm assuming that this is the first payment, and that a deposit hasn't already been made. If a deposit has already been paid, then the situation is different. A contract will now exist between them, and she should consult any written documentation that she has. If the hotel are trying to break the contract, by asking for payment up front, then she should be able to get the deposit back, and leave. If it's in the contract that all payment must be up front, then she'll lose the deposit if she walks away.

If nothing has been paid yet, then definitely go elsewhere. The hotels behavior us very suspicious, and reeks of financial difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Hi - I would know the industry fairly well so it you want to PM me I will let you know if I heard anything about them.

Advertisement